Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #301
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You're welcome.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:01 PM   #302
gzcwnk
Enthusiast
gzcwnk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
trying to install on a B0D4 ~ pw2

I have tried the k2 and k2i bin but update your kindle is still greyed out.

JB says it was successful, any ideas pls?
gzcwnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #303
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindle Serial Numbers

tl;dr
This hack does not support touchscreen Kindles, we've moved on quite a bit since the launchpad days.

You should probably try KUAL.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #304
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
O.P. only missed the model number by D1 (hex) numbers.
I guess the model-locking of the packages is still working.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #305
GreyCells
GreyCells began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX US wireless
Hi All

- Start of Short Msg:
Cannot install LaunchPad on Kindle DX. After adding the update file to the root folder the "Update Your Kindle" option is not enabled. And after restart it tries to update but fails with error 0003 (I read in one of the msg in this very thread that updating on restart might cause this error and not if you do it via UYK).

I tried the KindleTool also to repackage it but the UYK will still not be enabled.
- End of Short Msg.

I thought somebody can help me with this to read .mobi format which I create via Calibre so here is the long message below

I brought a old Kindle DX US wireless for reading purpose. Unfortunately I did not realized at the time of purchase that wireless will not work in my country. This Kindle DX will not let me register and I believe due to which it does not allow me to read the MOBI files that I create using Calibre (these are html articles which I wanted to read on kindle and hence using this software Calibre).

When I open the .mobi files all it says is "The selected item could not be opened. If you purchased this item from Amazon, delete t he item and redownload it from Archived items available in Home". Now obviously I have not purchased it but create the .mobi from html articles.

So I turned to mobileread.com which gave me option to install "kindlepdfviewer" and requires me to install Launchpad for Kindle DX.
GreyCells is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #306
Hagtar
Hagtar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Reading the first post and looking quickly through the thread, I can't figure out if this hack is intended for touch-based Kindles. I have KT2 (90C6, currently running Kindle 5.8.7).
Hagtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #307
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagtar View Post
Reading the first post and looking quickly through the thread, I can't figure out if this hack is intended for touch-based Kindles. I have KT2 (90C6, currently running Kindle 5.8.7).
You can answer your own question by checking the date of the first post.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #308
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Incomplete installation instructions for LaunchPad?

Hi,

The installation instructions in this thread's sticky post (the first post on page 1) seem either incomplete or confusing. One of the installation steps says to copy the LaunchPad package "to your device under user root directory [/mnt/us]" However, the only folders displayed by Windows Explorer (when I connect my Kindle 3 to my Windows pc via USB and use Windows Explorer to open the Kindle drive) are:
.active-content-data
audible
documents
linkss
music
Is there another step that must be done first to gain access to the /mnt/us directory? Or are we supposed to simply copy to the top level folder displayed by Windows Explorer (which contains the folders I listed above)? I hope the sticky post will be edited to clarify the step.

Also, the sticky post suggests viewing the README file for further details, but it doesn't provide a link to the file nor say where the file can be found.

(The reason I'm interested in LaunchPad is to be able to launch alternative ebook viewers on my Kindle 3. Most of my ebooks are pdf or epub. I got tired of using Calibre on my pc to convert epub to mobi, and I got tired of using PdfTools on my pc to manually crop the right & left margins of pdf files (which takes a lot of trial & error to minimize the margins without losing content). Reading on my Android cellphone has been much more convenient, since there exist Android ebook reader apps that automatically crop pdf margins and display epub, so I don't use the Kindle much anymore. But I do miss the Kindle's long-lasting battery. And for viewing pdf I miss the Kindle's larger screen, which permits a 20% larger fontsize for pdf than on my cellphone. Pdf books are quite readable on the Kindle 3 when viewed using fit-to-width, landscape mode, assuming the margins are cropped.)

Thanks in advance for your help with LaunchPad's installation instructions!
Kindle3w_Pdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #309
knc1
Going Viral

/mnt/us == internal name for "Top visible level of USB storage" as seen on your PC over the USB cable.

There is a predecessor of KOreader for the keyboard devices, Liberator (or something like that - a tricky spelling).
It should handle both pdf and epub.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #310
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast

LaunchPad failed to install Librerator 2.

Thanks, knc1, for the tip that the Kindle's usb root folder is indeed where to copy the LaunchPad zip file, and also for the tip about the Librerator ebook reading app.

My installation of LaunchPad may have succeeded, although I don't know how to test it fully.

The installation of LaunchPad didn't create the customupdates folder. The installation instructions of Librerator don't say where to create that folder, so I created it in the Kindle's usb root folder. I recommend updating the LaunchPad zip file so that the customupdates folder will be automatically created (if it doesn't already exist) when LaunchPad is installed, or at least adding to the installation instructions and to the README file a step about creation of the folder.

After I copied the Librerator 2 zip file into customupdates, I typed "Shift Shift I" as the instructions said, but the only result appeared to be a "Failure" message briefly displayed at the bottom of the Kindle screen. I assume it was LaunchPad that displayed the "Failure" message, which is a hint that the installation of LaunchPad had been at least partially successful.

I also tried moving the customupdates folder into the launchpad folder, but I got the same "Failure" message after typing "Shift Shift I".

Since I'm new to both LaunchPad and Librerator, I don't know which of them is more likely to have caused the installation failure. If details about the failure are supposed to be in the launchpad.log file, then I think LaunchPad may be at fault, because that file is empty (zero bytes). It would certainly help to have more information than the vague "Failure" message provides.

Where can I find information about the file and directory structures that LaunchPad requires in an app's installation zip file, and information about where LaunchPad is supposed to extract the contents of the zip file? (The Librerator zip file contains three folders: kite, launchpad and librerator. The zip's launchpad folder contains only one file, librerator.ini, which I assume should be extracted into the Kindle's launchpad folder when LaunchPad installs the zip, but it wasn't.)

The Librerator zip file still existed after the "Failure" message. Would LaunchPad have deleted it if LaunchPad had successfully installed Librerator?

Is it possible that I'll need a more recent jailbreak in order for LaunchPad to run properly, or is LaunchPad compatible with very old jailbreaks?

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #311
knc1
Going Viral

I can only help with one of those items -

Our 'jailbreak' is the addition of a single file, our signature certificate, to the Kindle's key store.
It has not changed since day 0.
And it is only used to verify the signature of our update_*.bin packages.
It has no effect on the operation of applications.

Now the Kindlet Jailbreak - -
That is to allow increased Java privileges for Kindlets.
It is used at run time by (java) applications.
So it is possible that that one is too old.
Get your update from NiLuJe's snapshots thread.
(That thread prefix is: 'tools' - use the index page prefix filter).
Old 12-30-2016, 04:18 PM   #312
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip about the Kindlet jailbreak, which I never installed. The jailbreak I installed is about 6 years old.

Does LaunchPad need the Kindlet jailbreak only for the "Shift Shift I" command?

The reason I ask is that I found an installation alternative that doesn't used Shift Shift I. Instead of copying the Librerator zip file to the customupdates folder, I copied it to the Kindle's usb root folder and extracted the zip manually. (Then I deleted the zip file and deleted the unneeded kite folder.) Then Shift Shift Space to load the new .ini file. (Followed by Shift L L to launch Librerator, which succeeded.)

I would also ask whether Librerator needs the Kindlet jailbreak for any of its operations, but that question belongs in the Librerator thread.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #313
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle3w_Pdfs View Post
Thanks for the tip about the Kindlet jailbreak, which I never installed. The jailbreak I installed is about 6 years old.

Does LaunchPad need the Kindlet jailbreak only for the "Shift Shift I" command?

The reason I ask is that I found an installation alternative that doesn't used Shift Shift I. Instead of copying the Librerator zip file to the customupdates folder, I copied it to the Kindle's usb root folder and extracted the zip manually. (Then I deleted the zip file and deleted the unneeded kite folder.) Then Shift Shift Space to load the new .ini file. (Followed by Shift L L to launch Librerator, which succeeded.)

I would also ask whether Librerator needs the Kindlet jailbreak for any of its operations, but that question belongs in the Librerator thread.
Only Kindlets need the Kindlet jailbreak.

Kindlet file names make them look like documents, in fact, they are documents.
(KUAL is an example)
If you run KUAL on your Kindle, then for certain you need the Kindlet jailbreak.
KUAL is the more recent (three years ago) replacement for the no longer maintained launchpad.

Last edited by knc1; 12-30-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #314
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast

So, LaunchPad doesn't require the Kindlet jailbreak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Only Kindlets need the Kindlet jailbreak.
Kindlet file names make them look like documents, in fact, they are documents. (KUAL is an example) If you run KUAL on your Kindle, then for certain you need the Kindlet jailbreak. KUAL is the more recent (three years ago) replacement for the no longer maintained launchpad.
I misunderstood your earlier comment about the Kindlet jailbreak. I thought, given that this is the LaunchPad thread, that you meant LaunchPad requires the Kindlet jailbreak. Neither the LaunchPad .bin install file nor the Librerator .zip install file looks like a Kindle document to me. What was your reason for mentioning the Kindlet jailbreak earlier, when we were talking about LaunchPad & Librerator and not KUAL?

I retract my earlier guess that the absence of the Kindlet jailbreak on my Kindle explains the failure of the "Shift Shit I" installation of Librerator. It remains a mystery.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:22 PM   #315
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle3w_Pdfs View Post
I misunderstood your earlier comment about the Kindlet jailbreak. I thought, given that this is the LaunchPad thread, that you meant LaunchPad requires the Kindlet jailbreak. Neither the LaunchPad .bin install file nor the Librerator .zip install file looks like a Kindle document to me. What was your reason for mentioning the Kindlet jailbreak earlier, when we were talking about LaunchPad & Librerator and not KUAL?

I retract my earlier guess that the absence of the Kindlet jailbreak on my Kindle explains the failure of the "Shift Shit I" installation of Librerator. It remains a mystery.
I don't know what you where talking about.

I was answering the question about an old 'jailbreak' made by someone who might not know there are two things here known by that short name, the device jailbreak and the Kindlet jailbreak.
Since you didn't identify which one you thought might be 'too old' I wrote about both.