Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2010, 04:30 AM   #61
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyvisions View Post
Thanks so much for getting the font hack up! I really like the new way of adding/changing fonts, it's much quicker and easier.

Can I request that Helvetica (not the Helvetica2) be added to the list? That's my favorite font of the bunch! :P Thanks for the hard work in getting this up for all of us!
Done. Added to the second post.

And now, sleeeeep, before I start shuffling along asking for BRAAAAIIINS!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 AM   #62
756win
756win began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
NiLuJe, I found a little difference in file size between your jailbreak and clarknova's. Thus is it safe to use your uninstaller to uninstall clarknova's jailbreak?

PS: in your notes of the hack you didn't mention any change in clarknova's jailbreak.

Thanks much.
756win is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 04:51 AM   #63
IxiaAurea
Connoisseur
IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.IxiaAurea could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Kobo Glo
Thanks for this!
I applied the fonts but the font of the collection titles is still the default kindle font. Any insights into what I might have done wrong? Thanks in advance
IxiaAurea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #64
756win

Quote:
Originally Posted by 756win View Post
NiLuJe, I found a little difference in file size between your jailbreak and clarknova's. Thus is it safe to use your uninstaller to uninstall clarknova's jailbreak?

PS: in your notes of the hack you didn't mention any change in clarknova's jailbreak.

Thanks much.
Oh no NiLuJe, I used your uninstaller to uninstall clarknova's jailbreak and it showed 'successful', but when I reapplied clarknova's jailbreak it turned out unsuccessful...

Help.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #65
jqqofgsm
jqqofgsm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Does it work for Asian character?

Thanks a lot NiLuJe! I hacked my kindle 2i and it worked (font style has changed). But I cannot read Chinese books. Isn't the fond suppose to be unicode? Or did I miss something?

PS. I have little idea about hacking. I just followed your clear and wonderful instruction. I think my hacking process was fine. Everything worked as it supposed to work.

Thanks in advance!
jqqofgsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2010, 05:42 AM   #66
756win

NiLuJe, I also tried your jailbreak and it also failed. Now I cannot jailbreak my kindle

would your please check what changes did you make to clarknova's jailbreak hack, and what happened when I used your uninstaller to uninstall it, and how can I make it back?

I appreciate much your effort.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #67
756win

NiLuJe, I made a stupid mistake. I just forgot that when jailbreak says 'unsuccessful' it is successful. No problem now. Sorry for the trouble.

BTW, I still want to know why your jailbreak is 0.1k larger than clarknova's, and is it safe to use your uninstaller to uninstall his?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:34 AM   #68
jqqofgsm

Asian font

I found this font: Droid Sans Fallback. It is said that it should work with Chinese font. I named it San_Fallback.ttf, copied it into the kindle font folder, and restarted kindle. But it didn't work. Did I did anything wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sans_Fallback.zip (1.37 MB, 919 views)
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #69
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Great job, NiLuJe!

"That may also make it possible to install official amazon updates on top of it just by deleting the trigger file of the hack (linkss/auto & linkfonts/auto)."

There is a way to do this automatically.

As you see, there is a way to allow stock firmware to be installed while a hack is installed. Kindle goes into runlevel3 for update, so, you can put a file in rc3.d to disable a hack temporarily.

Details in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87995

The link has a font hack also, similar but useful by utilizing runlevel3 to automatically disable font hack while updating a stock firmware.

I think you already read that, since you left a post.
Automatic runlevel3 switch in your hack would be really nice.

Last edited by test011; 06-23-2010 at 11:02 AM.
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #70
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

-----

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: * Merged with latest post, delete.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #71
NiLuJe
BLAM!

-----

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: * Merged with latest post, delete.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #72
NiLuJe
BLAM!

-----

Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #73
NiLuJe
BLAM!

-----

Err, am I completely blind, or is there no possibily to delete one's own post here? If that's the case, could a mod kindly delete my bunch of blank posts? Thanks!

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: * Merged with latest post, delete.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:

Thanks much.
Yes, it's essentially the same, I just touched the build-script. The filesize difference might come from the fact that I used a different winzip packer/compression options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IxiaAurea View Post
Thanks for this!
I applied the fonts but the font of the collection titles is still the default kindle font. Any insights into what I might have done wrong? Thanks in advance
With what set of fonts?

Note that in most cases, the font used for the collections name (Sans_BoldItalic), is relatively similar to the default one, and in some sets of fonts, actually _is_ the default font, so that may explain your case .

Quote:
Oh no NiLuJe, I used your uninstaller to uninstall clarknova's jailbreak and it showed 'successful', but when I reapplied clarknova's jailbreak it turned out unsuccessful...

Help.
Err, the jailbreak install is *supposed* to fail .

Quote:
NiLuJe, I made a stupid mistake. I just forgot that when jailbreak says 'unsuccessful' it is successful. No problem now. Sorry for the trouble.

BTW, I still want to know why your jailbreak is 0.1k larger than clarknova's, and is it safe to use your uninstaller to uninstall his?
No problem. It's larger probably because of a different winzip packer/options . it is completely safe to use this uninstaller to remove clarknova's jailbreak, if you wish to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqqofgsm View Post
Thanks a lot NiLuJe! I hacked my kindle 2i and it worked (font style has changed). But I cannot read Chinese books. Isn't the fond suppose to be unicode? Or did I miss something?

PS. I have little idea about hacking. I just followed your clear and wonderful instruction. I think my hacking process was fine. Everything worked as it supposed to work.

Thanks in advance!
Nope, it's the non-cjk Droid Serif/Sans, not the Droid Sans Fallback.

I'll do a set with this one if you need it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqqofgsm View Post
I found this font: Droid Sans Fallback. It is said that it should work with Chinese font. I named it San_Fallback.ttf, copied it into the kindle font folder, and restarted kindle. But it didn't work. Did I did anything wrong?

Thanks in advance!
The Sans_Regular font is the Menu, Settings text & dict popup fonts. You want the Serif_Regular font for the reader .

So, ideally, you should at least rename it as Sans_Regular.tff & Serif_Regular.ttf (And their _Bold , _Italic and _BoldItalic counterparts, if you need the bold/italic/bolditalic styles to support CJK characters).

I could put a zipfile together, but given that the font is 3mo, and we'd have to copy it 12 times, that's a bit too much. If you want it used everywhere, just copy it 12 times with the following filenames:

Serif_Regular.ttf
Serif_Bold.ttf
Serif_Italic.ttf
Serif_BoldItalic.ttf
Sans_Regular.ttf
Sans_Bold.ttf
Sans_Italic.ttf
Sans_BoldItalic.ttf
Mono_Regular.ttf
Mono_Bold.ttf
Mono_Italic.ttf
Mono_BoldItalic.ttf

Quote:
Originally Posted by test011 View Post
Great job, NiLuJe!

"That may also make it possible to install official amazon updates on top of it just by deleting the trigger file of the hack (linkss/auto & linkfonts/auto)."

There is a way to do this automatically.

As you see, there is a way to allow stock firmware to be installed while a hack is installed. Kindle goes into runlevel3 for update, so, you can put a file in rc3.d to disable a hack temporarily.

Details in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87995

The link has a font hack also, similar but useful by utilizing runlevel3 to automatically disable font hack while updating a stock firmware.

I think you already read that, since you left a post.
Automatic runlevel3 switch in your hack would be really nice.
There's some really neat ideas & tricks in there, thanks for sharing! I'll leave the rest of my comments about it on your thread to keep things somewhat tidier .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-23-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #75
jqqofgsm

Thanks a lot! I will try now. I will let you know if it works.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet