Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #31
mishaikin
mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
I've just tested the new firmware. The adobeviewer is improved indeed, however, it still takes too long (more than a minute) to open an Adobe Digital Editions epub. Is this a bug or s.th. related to the DRM nature of the file?

P.S. Why does the status bar show the epub page numbers and not the screen page numbers?
mishaikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #32
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
DRM is something like an encryption. IMHO It is that slow because of the DRM and the "slow" CPU (400 MHz) in the 360.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 09:00 PM   #33
Dodo
Dodo is on a distinguished road

Device: none
A quick note about upgrading the firmware and Adobe Digital Editions authorization. Before installing the new firmware I had de-authorized my Pocketbook (Ctrl+Shift+E in Windows, Cmd+Shift+E in Mac - for those interested) and then reauthorized it after upgrading the firmware. However, this is not sufficient. At first I was unable to open any DRM'd epubs on the Pocketbook. After a bit of investigation, I realized that there is a file tucked away in the root directory of the device - /Pocket301/.adobe-digital-editions/device.xml - that is not modified by the firmware upgrade leading to a mismatch between the identity of the device as reported in this file and the expected identity for the ADE authorization.

The solution:

1.) Deauthorize the device.
2.) Delete the directory /Pocket301/.adobe-digital-editions/
3.) Unmount and remount the device (Not sure if this is necessary, but it couldn't hurt)
4.) Re-authorize the device. This should recreate the directory and, more importantly, the file device.xml with the correct firmware information and device identity.
5.) Enjoy reading your fancy DRM'd files.

I hope that this is helpful to some folks.
Cheers.
Dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:52 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaikin View Post
P.S. Why does the status bar show the epub page numbers and not the screen page numbers?
All ADE devices show "ePub" page numbers. That's the whole point of them - that they provide a device-independent reference. "Page 20" in a particular book on a Pocketbook 360 will be the same as "Page 20" on a Sony Reader or an iRex DR800.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #35
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I've made a Spanish translation for the former firmware version. I'd like to update it now that the new FW has come, and as well substitute it for the Spanish official translation which is... seemingly wanting. Is there a way for me to extract the firmware files being in WVista? In the case that couldn't be, could someone post the firmware english version?

Thanks in advance
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 05:59 AM   #36
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Is there a way for me to extract the firmware files being in WVista? In the case that couldn't be, could someone post the firmware english version?
Hacking time!
Step 1.
install third party application poterm - terminal emulator for PocketBook
Step 2.
Make yourself familiar with the very, very basic Unix commands ls, pwd, cd, cp, df
Code:
ls - list the contents of the directory. If there is no parameter list contents of current directory, otherwise list directory that follows the ls command. Example ls /mnt/ext1
pwd - print (give on screen) name of current directory
cd - change the current directory
cp - copy file. In our case cp * /mnt/ext1 copies all files from current directory to /mnt/ext1 directory (here is mounted what you see as contents of the main memory when you connect PocketBook to the PC)
df - print where various partitions are mounted. I have used this to find out where the "main memory" partition is mounted
Step 3.
Start terminal emulator and enter following commands
Code:
/bin/ash: can't access tty; job control turned off

BusyBox v1.12.2 (2009-01-04 17:45:10 EET) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

$ pwd
/
$ ls
bin
dev
ebrmain
etc
lib
linuxrc
lost+found
mnt
proc
sbin
sys
tmp
usr
var
$ cd ebrmain
$ ls
bin
config
fonts
fsimage.tar.gz
language
lib
logo
lost+found
pocketbook
themes
$ cd lang
/bin/ash: cd: can't cd to lang
$ cd language
$ ls
by.txt
cz.txt
de.txt
ee.txt
en.txt
es.txt
fr.txt
he.txt
keyboard
lt.txt
lv.txt
ru.txt
ua.txt
$ df
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    8192      6156      2036  75% /
/dev/root                 8192      6156      2036  75% /
none                     24576        20     24556   0% /tmp
none                      4096        12      4084   0% /var
none                      4096         0      4096   0% /dev
tmpfs                    31684         0     31684   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mtdblock5           32768     32768         0 100% /ebrmain
/dev/mtdblock6          477896    371248    106648  78% /mnt/ext1
/dev/mmcblk0p1          994944    898688     96256  90% /mnt/ext2
$ ls /mnt/ext1
2009_11_10_test
2009_11_24
2009_11_30
2009_12_10
2010_01_12
2010_01_20
2010_02_02
2010_03_02
Photo
Test CZ
e
games
notes
screens
system
$ cp * /mnt/ext1/
cp: omitting directory 'keyboard'
$ exit
The above listing is log of my entire hacking session.
I love Guys From Kiev. They strive to make our lives easier. Unlike the vast majority of other device manufacuters.

Step 4.
Connect PocketBook to the computer and copy desired files from the main memory.
The poterm log file is in directory /games - where the poterm.app is located.

Step 5.
Upload zip file with extracted files to Mobileread ;-)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Lang.zip (123.0 KB, 1004 views)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:31 AM   #37
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Arigato gozaimaishita!

I wish I knew anything about programming... I would feel less out-of-tune some times. However, one of nicest points of this forum is exactly that: hypercompetent geeks like the designers of Calibre and Sigil and people acquainted to open-source helping the average reader, lay in all or most of those matters, to keep enjoying his or her books. K for you ^^
Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #38
mishaikin
mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mishaikin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Step 5.
Upload zip file with extracted files to Mobileread ;-)
Thanks for the language files!
I prepared a Bulgarian translation out of them (let's say in a beta state :-) ) There are still some untranslated items.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bg.txt (27.1 KB, 993 views)

Last edited by mishaikin; 03-15-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: updated bg language file
mishaikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #39
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaikin View Post
Thanks for the language files!
I prepared a Bulgarian translation out of them (let's say in a beta state :-) ) There are still some untranslated items.
Thanks a lot!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #40
Logseman
Orisa

Here is my new Spanish translation.

The Spanish one brought by the Guys from Kiev was actually shameful, I've seen even traces of English and Cyrillic on it, and the new update is not even covered but they just left the English version

Is there any way that the one here may be used in new shipments?
Attached Files
File Type: txt es.txt (22.8 KB, 991 views)
Old 03-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #41
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Here is my new Spanish translation.

The Spanish one brought by the Guys from Kiev was actually shameful, I've seen even traces of English and Cyrillic on it, and the new update is not even covered but they just left the English version

Is there any way that the one here may be used in new shipments?
Yes, of course. We will watch to that
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #42
cjs703
cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cjs703 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360
After updating I'm unable to Hide Panel (the status bar) while in Adobe Viewer. I have a button shortcut assigned to do it and it no longer works. It had worked before I did the upgrade though.
cjs703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs703 View Post
After updating I'm unable to Hide Panel (the status bar) while in Adobe Viewer. I have a button shortcut assigned to do it and it no longer works. It had worked before I did the upgrade though.
Are you sure it worked in Adobe Viewer before?
Cause I haven't updated and it doesn't work in Adobe Viewer for me. Never did.
For me, it only works in FBReader.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #44
jonsbjons
Connoisseur
jonsbjons doesn't litterjonsbjons doesn't litter

Device: PBook301
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Do not forget to read the thread on How to upgrade firmware
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62973
... and do not forget to backup your installed dictionaries, themes, fonts, translations, applications, logos, notes, books and whatever else you might have on your reader. Better safe than sorry ;-)

Thanks, kacir! It's useful for me too

Last edited by jonsbjons; 03-15-2010 at 08:32 AM.
jonsbjons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:08 AM   #45
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
The firmware upgrade links are not working for me so I went directly to PBGlobal. But they have only the November release 101.14.2

Any suggestions?
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote