Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #31
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've settled on the following 3 challenges:

1. Read 75 books

2. Compete in the GR Bingo Challenge

3. Participate in the MR New Leaf Book Club, reading and reviewing at least four books in the year.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #32
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've decided what my 2018 challenge will be, to read more fantasy books this time. My goals will be the same as 2017, to read and record 52 books. I barely made it for 2017, so I'll keep it the same amount for 2018.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm... the number of books read for 2017 was 484 books which included several series I re-read when a new book was released. I haven't included the books I've read on a Tolino epos but that's only 8 or 10 and I haven't found a way to pull stats from it.

Not sure how much I am going to read in 2018 but probably in the same range unless I decide to cut down my hours per month spent reading--according to Kobo's Reading Life, for the last 5 months reported, I'm averaging about 147 hours per month.

TBR? What's a TBR? The last time I had a stack of books waiting to be read was when a local used bookstore held a going out of business sale and I picked up 3 boxes of books. Hugh B. Cave's Murgunstrumm & Others is the only title that sticks with me from those books--Lee Brown's cover was enough for that.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #34
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I have committed to three series and would like to fit in two others for a goal of five series that I would like to complete in 2018:
  • Sookie Stackhouse - Reread & Complete
  • The Demon Cycle (if time permits) - New to Me
  • The Hollows - Reread & Complete
  • Codex Alera - From my TBR (First time read)
  • The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings (if time permits) - Reread
So I've tweaked my challenge a little; changing the reading order of one series and adding another.

My goals for 2018:
  1. Sookie Stackhouse - Reread & Complete
  2. The Hollows - Reread & Complete
  3. The Demon Cycle - New to Me
  4. Codex Alera - From my Wishlist
  5. The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings - Reread
  6. Innkeeper Chronicles - Reread & Complete
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #35
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
So I've tweaked my challenge a little; changing the reading order of one series and adding another.

My goals for 2018:
  1. Sookie Stackhouse - Reread & Complete
  2. The Hollows - Reread & Complete
  3. The Demon Cycle - New to Me
  4. Codex Alera - From my Wishlist
  5. The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings - Reread
  6. Innkeeper Chronicles - Reread & Complete
I did a re-read via audiobook of The Hobbit and LOTR this year! I enjoyed it very much.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2017, 09:54 AM   #36
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Each year I try to read more books than I read in the previous year, but I'll be hard-pressed to top this year's total. I'd like to read more books that have stood the test of time, instead of so many brand-new titles.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #37
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I did a re-read via audiobook of The Hobbit and LOTR this year! I enjoyed it very much.
Its been a long time since I've read the series, and The Hobbit is one of my favorite novels, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #38
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
This year I've read about 150 pages per day.
I think my goal must be simple: read more and buy less.
Happy new year and good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #39
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Well, about a dozen books shy of my 2017 goal. I am shooting for the same goal this year... we will see what happens.

I am almost finished with the HP series "reread" via audio, with a set of LoTR on audio to go through next (plus some sci fi in between: Ender's Game, Ringworld), which should occupy my commutes over the next couple months.

Meanwhile, as we are cleaning up/sorting/packing the old home in preparation for a move to the new, I have a half-dozen dead trees that have been collected but yet not read.

Plus, of course, the couple hundred ebooks in my digital TBR. Obviously, I am not going to be able to plow through all those within the next year (unless I have bought a bunch of unreadable garbage to be disposed of in a rapid fashion, which I kind of hope not... I try to be selective even with the free/heavily discounted ebooks).

At any rate, starting the year off right: finished a book early this morning.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:20 AM   #40
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
We have just had our 40th member join up for 2018 - CharredScribe.

Given that their post in the list thread is number 42, I hope that they'll choose to read nothing but works by Douglas Adams in 2018.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:35 AM   #41
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Considering Charred wants to read 50 books this year, they might have to do a few rereads should they follow your advice, mouse.

On the other hand, at least there might be someone here whose TBR isn't already in the hundreds...
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #42
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... the number of books read for 2017 was 484 books ---
Color me impressed! And here I thought I read a lot with around 200+ books a year
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:42 PM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict

My Year of the Series Begins!

I just completed my first book of the year! Dead Until Dark
Old 01-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I hate this time of year. Goodreads already shows me as being one book behind schedule. The pressure is on!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:38 AM   #45
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I hate this time of year. Goodreads already shows me as being one book behind schedule. The pressure is on!
Only five days in and Goodreads 2018 reading challenge already lists 557,000 books completed by 953,000 participants.

People are cranking it up, perhaps, the cold weather has many reading by the fireplace.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote