Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2016, 09:20 AM   #31
keroro430
keroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfoldedkeroro430 reads XML... blindfolded

Device: PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Could very well be the problem.

"Normal" failure during boot-up will export the USB storage area for a few seconds (5 .. 15) before failing.
Long enough to move a file.

another thought -
Is this an ad supported (I.E: "Special Offers") Kindle?

PS:
That flag filename is:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
All capitals, no extension, no contents (which some find hard to do on a Windoze box).

Can you run a Linux LiveCD or Linux in a VM on that PC?
I really have less than zero recent experience with Windows (unless you want to downgrade to Win-2 or Win-3).
My PW3 is also bootlooped(brick?) after "downgrading" device with passcode.
I have tried to mount the sd"x" and sg"x" and got "no medium found".

Hope there is a fix. Thanks.

EDIT: Special Offers enabled

Last edited by keroro430; 07-05-2016 at 09:24 AM.
keroro430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #32
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by keroro430 View Post
My PW3 is also bootlooped(brick?) after "downgrading" device with passcode.
I have tried to mount the sd"x" and sg"x" and got "no medium found".

Hope there is a fix. Thanks.

EDIT: Special Offers enabled
Thanks for the report - I'll edit in a warning at the top of the directions.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #33
swifty
Enthusiast
swifty began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Love the new tutorial, clear and concise steps. Thank you! A great contribution to the community.
swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #34
SteveJordan
SteveJordan began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 3
Quote:
Could very well be the problem.

Your failure must not be "exactly like ..."
You had better give us the fullest amount of context that you can think of.

Only about 150 people have done this 'first day' of release.
Few have reported: "Thank You"
and far fewer have reported a problem.

"Normal" failure during boot-up will export the USB storage area for a few seconds (5 .. 15) before failing.
Long enough to move a file.

Another thought -
Is this an ad supported (I.E: "Special Offers") Kindle?

PS:
That flag filename is:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
All capitals, no extension, no contents (which some find hard to do on a Windoze box).

Can you run a Linux LiveCD or Linux in a VM on that PC?
I really have less than zero recent experience with Windows (unless you want to downgrade to Win-2 or Win-3).
Okay, then ...

Context : I've followed the tutorial as written, and the kindle react like travak. My Kindle is passcode locked, so the USB isn't avaliable I think and I can only view it few seconds. But, all is like the "normal" failure.

The Kindle isn't with "Special Offers".

And for the filename, it's ok.
I can run Linux if you want, but I'm not very familiar with.
SteveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJordan View Post
- - - -
I can run Linux if you want, but I'm not very familiar with.
Try that, and as a LiveCD or a for-real install (say, on a usb stick - many LiveCDs will do that for you).

Why?
Because it responds a lot faster to USB changes and allows the user access at a lower level.
Why not a VM?
That just adds another layer of delay.

We only have a few seconds to push a file onto the Kindle, it will probably have to be done in expect/send loop.
Or maybe even in a custom u-dev rule.
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #36
SteveJordan

Ok, I'm on ubuntu 12.04.3 on a liveCD, what I do next ?
Old 07-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #37
Branch Delay
Connoisseur
Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Branch Delay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I would suggest more warnings on potentially bricking your device and also add a step to factory reset before downgrading.
Branch Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #38
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
I would suggest more warnings on potentially bricking your device and also add a step to factory reset before downgrading.
I'll add them as we they are reported.

A factory reset would clear the visible and hidden ares of the Kindle, including the user's books and collections.
That might be a draw-back to some.

And I am not sure that it would clear the 'needs repair' counter or do anything else useful.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #39
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJordan View Post
Ok, I'm on ubuntu 12.04.3 on a liveCD, what I do next ?
Take a break,
It is past my lunch time and I haven't had breakfast yet.

Pushing a file onto a reluctant Kindle is pretty straight forward, perhaps someone else on this forum can guide you while I take a break.

Even if no immediate response -
You are not forgotten about.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #40
SteveJordan

Quote:
Take a break,
It is past my lunch time and I haven't had breakfast yet.

Pushing a file onto a reluctant Kindle is pretty straight forward, perhaps someone else on this forum can guide you while I take a break.

Even if no immediate response -
You are not forgotten about.
Okay, thank you and good break.
I'm still here.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #41
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@knc1/@BD: A factory reset might indeed be a good idea, yeah. (It does clear the YKNR counters, FWIW).

EDIT: Then there are the DB schema issues, which may very well be at the root of those failures...

@SteveJordan: You can start by monitoring dmesg in a shell while the device boots (plugged in to the computer, of course ). That should hopefully give us an idea of what exactly is being exported, if anything.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-05-2016 at 01:39 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #42
knc1
Going Viral

"DB schema issues" : damn good point.
I'll add another section on recommendations once I feed myself.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #43
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, a good night's sleep does wonders for your thought process .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yeah, a good night's sleep does wonders for your thought process .
And ignore my critics, geekmaster didn't and you can see what happened to him.
Nice way to treat a dying man.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #45
vitorm
vitorm began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Is just one image file for all PW3 versions? Just to be sure.
vitorm is offline   Reply With Quote