Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 04:15 PM   #3151
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
a) First post, open the 'spoiler' tag, read, enjoy.

Of course you find differing information.
The posts where made over a period of two years, not all 3,000+ post are snapshots of what was known back in 7/4/2016 but instead show a changing of the current situation and a changing understanding of that situation.

You can't expect static information on a general topic.

Last edited by knc1; 06-14-2018 at 04:17 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #3152
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bz9993 View Post
P.S. Did you know that there is a "ghost" version of this site at "webcheckfinancial.com" that mostly works but looks like some sort of ip address confusion? Just thought I'd mention it.

I spent the WHOLE DAY running every possible test I could find thinking I had been Hijacked by something because I kept coming up with that redirect URL! This should be at the top of the page in BOLD until that site is taken down.

I was having problems with my Kindle Voyage and I was searching to see if the Font folder on the Kindle is normally empty of Fonts or was it because I had simply copied all my books to my desktop and then set my Kindle up as "new" again and copied all the books back to the Kindle.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2018, 12:49 AM   #3153
H-H
H-H began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Can I jailbreak a PW3 White using the following steps? Would I better using update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin instead of update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin?

PW3
1. Bought from Officeworks Australia
2. Never connected to the WiFi, and unregistered
3. It came on 5.8.7.0.1 (3115940037)
4. Nickname: G090KB (White)
5. No ads/ special offers
6. No pass code/ parental protections
7. Sold and delivered in Australia

01. Set the Kindle to airplane mode.
02. Connect Kindle to PC with the USB cable.
03. Make backup copies of the contents of /documents.
04. Make a folder named update.bin.tmp.partial to prevent OTA Update.
05. Turn off airplane mode mode
06. Connect to WiFi
07. Register Kindle Device with Amazon
08. Safely Remove the Kindle USB storage
09. Remove the USB cable.
10. Reset by using Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Reset
11. Choose UK as my language and skip Wifi setup
12. Set it to airplane mode again.
13. Connect Kindle to PC with the USB cable.
14. Make a folder named update.bin.tmp.partial to prevent OTA Update.
15. Copy update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin to the root.
16. Safely Remove the Kindle USB storage
17. Remove the USB cable.
18. Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle.
19. Connect Kindle to PC with the USB cable.
20. Copy main-htmlviewer.tar.gz to the root.
21. In the search bar, type ;installHtml and press return.
22. Connect Kindle to PC with the USB cable.
23. Copy Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_N_install.bin to the root.
24. Safely Remove the Kindle USB storage
25. Remove the USB cable.
26. Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle.
27. Connect Kindle to PC with the USB cable.
28. Copy update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.7.0.1.bin to the root.
29. Safely Remove the Kindle USB storage
30. Remove the USB cable.
31. Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle.
32. Connect Kindle to PC with the USB cable.
33. Copy update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.11.bin to the root.
34. Safely Remove the Kindle USB storage
35. Remove the USB cable.
36. Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle.
37. Connect Kindle to PC with the USB cable.
38. Extract kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r15108.tar.xz to the root.
39. Copy KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 to /documents.

Thanks
H-H
H-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:57 PM   #3154
lukecarter49
lukecarter49 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I am totally new to this, so I don't really know if we're allowed to ask what I will ask.
In 2016 I had successfully jailbroken my Paperwhite 2, but I didn't know I was not allowed to reset the device (I know, it was obvious that it was going to erase the jailbreak, but I totally forgot about the jailbreak).

My question is: is there anyone working on jailbreaking the new firmwares? I'm currently using 5.9.6.1, which is Amazon's latest. Should I expect a new jailbreak anytime soon?

Thanks in advance for the good work you provide!

PS: I basically use the jailbreak for the screensaver hack, because I HATE the Amazon wallpapers...
lukecarter49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #3155
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecarter49 View Post
I am totally new to this, so I don't really know if we're allowed to ask what I will ask.
In 2016 I had successfully jailbroken my Paperwhite 2, but I didn't know I was not allowed to reset the device (I know, it was obvious that it was going to erase the jailbreak, but I totally forgot about the jailbreak).

My question is: is there anyone working on jailbreaking the new firmwares? I'm currently using 5.9.6.1, which is Amazon's latest. Should I expect a new jailbreak anytime soon?

Thanks in advance for the good work you provide!

PS: I basically use the jailbreak for the screensaver hack, because I HATE the Amazon wallpapers...
Your only option at present is to open it up and do a serial jailbreak. A software jailbreak will require a vulnerability be found and exploited in the more recent firmware to install the single file that is necessary to allow installing custom software. If you have the skills to research this feel free to do so.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #3156
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Your only option at present is to open it up and do a serial jailbreak.
Alternately, one could check if Amazon's running a trade-in promo. A lot of users appear to have had luck jailbreaking fresh from the factory Paperwhites. I was able to get my PW3 for $40 with trade-in, iirc. Came with FW 5.8.11 but I was able to jailbreak it using update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin. It might work with 5.7.4, too, but I never tried it.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:05 PM   #3157
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecarter49 View Post
- - - -
- - - -
The ability to jail break any new firmware (existing or future) is impossible to predict.

If anyone is working at the problem, I do not know of it.
Which doesn't mean much, maybe they don't have anything to ask me.
But anyone doing such work never discusses it in public prior to release.

If it happens, it happens.
But don't hold your breath or make decisions that require a jail break (at least on the two Oasis models, all other models have a serial port)
Old 06-27-2018, 10:58 PM   #3158
gomanual
gomanual began at the beginning.

Device: K3W, KV
Hello! I've been lurking around for a bit now and I wanted to take the plunge with my KV (9013 1007). I thought it would be nice to report my success with jailbreaking my device.
  • Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet? Yes*
  • Is it a "refurbished" device? No
  • Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version? Arrived with 5.8.11 (3243010037)
  • Is it registered? No*
  • Does it have ads (Special Offers)? Yes*
  • What country was it sold in? US
  • What country was it delivered to? US
  • Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller (on-line or brick&mortar). Amazon (US)

* This is how the device came out of the box. The first thing I did with the device was to create the OTA update blocker directory, then I did connect it to the internet, registered it, and has Amazon remove the special offers.

After that I followed the directions in the wiki exactly and just ignored all of the caveats about more recent firmware versions. Worked like a charm; thank you guys for all the hard work developing and documenting this stuff

Obviously YMMV. I picked the Voyage because it's the oldest device still available new, and it looked like the easiest to take apart if I needed to get to the serial port connections.

I do have a question regarding upgrading to a newer firmware. Should I just stick to 5.8.7.0.1? Or am I good to jump up to the latest and greatest?
gomanual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:27 AM   #3159
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomanual View Post
I do have a question regarding upgrading to a newer firmware. Should I just stick to 5.8.7.0.1? Or am I good to jump up to the latest and greatest?
There are MANY good reasons to upgrade to the last 5.8.x user version, i.e. 5.8.11, and avoid 5.9.x branch...
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #3160
gomanual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
There are MANY good reasons to upgrade to the last 5.8.x user version, i.e. 5.8.11, and avoid 5.9.x branch...
Well alrighty then; I guess I'll go do that. Thanks for the feedback
Old 06-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #3161
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -

I picked the Voyage because it's the oldest device still available new, and it looked like the easiest to take apart if I needed to get to the serial port connections.
- - - -
Wrong.
The PW3 is still available new:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQVZDJM...ods_fs_eink_mt

Still the best value for the money and still the best selling Kindle, ever.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #3162
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Wrong.

Plus there seems to be a pretty decent chance that it's jailbreakable ootb (no firmware upgrades).
Old 06-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #3163
gomanual

Quote:
Wrong.
Sorry, I was basing that statement off the Wikipedia article on the Kindle. It has the KV as being released in 11/2014 and the PW3 at 6/2015, although both are 7th generation devices.

I suppose the age of the device was a bit of a silly reason. My thought at the time was that getting the slightly older and much lower volume device I had a better chance of getting one that had been collecting dust and hopefully contained an older firmware version. That did indeed turn out to be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Plus there seems to be a pretty decent chance that it's jailbreakable ootb (no firmware upgrades).
I didn't think to try that - I did the downgrade. Jail breaking without having to do that would have saved a little time!

Quote:
Agreed, and with good reason! There isn't much separating the two devices technically. I was able to justify the price difference to myself for a couple of reasons. Coming from my trusty old K3W I was afraid I'd miss my page turn buttons.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #3164
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I suppose the age of the device was a bit of a silly reason. My thought at the time was that getting the slightly older and much lower volume device I had a better chance of getting one that had been collecting dust and hopefully contained an older firmware version. That did indeed turn out to be wrong.
Lol, iirc, there was one poster who recently bought a PW3 3G directly from Amazon. It came with FW 5.6.5. Talk about collecting dust.

Quote:
I didn't think to try that - I did the downgrade. Jail breaking without having to do that would have saved a little time!
Oh no, you definitely still need to install factory firmware on the PW3.

However, you're the first confirmed case of jailbreaking a fresh from the factory Voyage with the steps outlined here while there are many confirmed cases for the PW3 (currently still seems to have 5.8.11 pre-installed). Thanks for being the test case, though.

Amazon's running a 25% off with trade-in promo so I might bite and get a KV, too (still got a bricked PW3).
Old 06-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #3165
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
Just to make it clear: The downgrade to the special factory test fw is part of the jb procedure (precisely its first step). If we speak about "(newer/current) OOTB firmwares that can be jailbroken" in this forum, we mean that they allow the initial downgrade to the appropriate factory fw. The latter are the only ones that can be jailbroken (running the ;installHtml command). No OOTB or OTA user fw allows that!! (Even old ones don't...) Then there's only the serial jb method...
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote