Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by travak View Post
I think I've managed to do this. Started from 5.8.1.
  • Serial begins with G090G1, matched to Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) WiFi
  • Downloaded update_PW3_5.6.1.1_initial.bin under PW3 from the pastebin
  • Connected Kindle to PC, placed file in drive root, safely removed, unplugged USB cable, home > menu > settings > menu > update > confirmed
  • Kindle flickers a bunch, reboots a bunch, then settles on "Your Kindle Needs Repairing"

During boot loop USB is accessible short-term; any suggestions or am I SOL?
Hmm...
That state is actually backed by a counter -
It could be that our testing started with the counter @ zero and your counter started at a higher number (maybe one less than the trigger point).

That could be why we didn't see that happen in our testing.

Try pushing a:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
filename into the root of USB storage.

You might have to setup a scripted loop on your PC and then reboot the Kindle while it has the USB cable connecting it to the PC.

Ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...78&postcount=1

- - - -

Also -
you should be running the factory original firmware now -
it has a lot of recovery features (like a lot of search bar commands) not in the consumer firmware versions.

There may be something that will let you recover or zero that counter.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2016 at 11:24 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:20 PM   #17
travak
travak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branch Delay View Post
Create a DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file on root of USB when it mounts. Reboot a few times after. Probably should have more warnings in the guide as downgrading may prove to be a risky procedure.
Success! Up and stable in 5.6.1.1

Thanks for the quick response!
travak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travak View Post
Success! Up and stable in 5.6.1.1

Thanks for the quick response!
Your welcome.

Now just don't brick it in the next few hours so we can all get some rest.

- - - -

Seriously -
I will add in the 'don't panic if it bricks' information (tomorrow, with other changes people have told me about).
Old 07-04-2016, 11:51 PM   #19
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That is an option that has not sunk into my brain yet -- not available when I was (hyper)active here years ago. Thanks for the suggestion.
The search bar command to switch to 'diags' mode might have worked.
The search bar command to bring up USB networking might have helped.

The factory firmware images have a lot of things that need to be explored.
There might even be a 'clear counter' search bar command, we haven't had time to look.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:20 AM   #20
peterslo
peterslo began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 2
I have a PW2, with 5.8.1 manually updated.

Just downloaded the correct downgrade and downgraded. I did not keep an eye on the output so I do not know if any error messages were displayed.

Kindle settings say that I still have 5.8.1 installed. Should I repeat the downgrade process? I do not want to continue flashing the jailbreak until settings display the downgraded version number.

Thank you for your help!
peterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2016, 02:26 AM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterslo View Post
I have a PW2, with 5.8.1 manually updated.

Just downloaded the correct downgrade and downgraded. I did not keep an eye on the output so I do not know if any error messages were displayed.

Kindle settings say that I still have 5.8.1 installed. Should I repeat the downgrade process? I do not want to continue flashing the jailbreak until settings display the downgraded version number.

Thank you for your help!
It did not work.
Which version of the PW-2?
The one with 2Gbyte of storage or the one with 4Gbyte of storage.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:42 AM   #22
peterslo
peterslo began at the beginning.

Device: PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It did not work.
Which version of the PW-2?
The one with 2Gbyte of storage or the one with 4Gbyte of storage.

It is the 4GB version, serial starts with 9017, tried flashing update_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin

Reflashed again, now it was downgraded.

Last edited by peterslo; 07-05-2016 at 06:05 AM.
peterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:34 AM   #23
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Impressive work. Well done.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:10 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterslo View Post
It is the 4GB version, serial starts with 9017, tried flashing update_PW2_5.4.3.2_initial.bin

Reflashed again, now it was downgraded.
Now that has to be strange.

Well, thanks for the report, maybe as we gain more experience with this method ....
Old 07-05-2016, 06:54 AM   #25
SteveJordan
SteveJordan began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 3
Hello !

I've got exactly the same problem as travak.
But, when I'm trying to plug the kindle, I can't acess to it.
Spoiler:

I'm on a Kindle PW3 G090G1.
SteveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJordan View Post
Hello !

I've got exactly the same problem as travak.
But, when I'm trying to plug the kindle, I can't acess to it.
Spoiler:

I'm on a Kindle PW3 G0 90G1.
Same device, same problem, try the same solution:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=16

And post back here on the result.

Last edited by knc1; 07-05-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #27
SteveJordan
SteveJordan began at the beginning.

Device: KPW 3
Yes, but I've already tried this solution.
The problem is that I can't go to the root to place the DO_RECOVERY_RESTORE file ... (see the image).

EDIT : I've set a passcode to unlock the kindle, it's for that ?

Last edited by SteveJordan; 07-05-2016 at 07:35 AM.
SteveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #28
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
The problem is that I can't go to the root to place the DO_RECOVERY_RESTORE file ... (see the image).

I think the passcode is needed to export USB. Perhaps we need a documentation step to clear a passcode before downgrading (to allow the brief moment to push a flag file onto the device)?

If all else fails, you can do a serial port firmware update on a PW3, but we are still investigating easier options. The problem is that some of us are leaving soon, and we need young folks to step in a take our place in the forums. These factory firmware images need to be explored in depth, on your kindles, BEFORE upgrading to newer firmware (which removes most of the factory install goodies in the root filesystem).

This is all new bleeding edge stuff. We are all pioneers in this area. Pioneers can be recognized by the arrows sticking out of their backs. Welcome to the club. Hopefully you can learn from this experience and contribute back to the community what you have learned, to help others in your situation in the future. This is how I debricked my K4, which began my whole journey to create the "simple debricking" method used in kubrick.

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-05-2016 at 08:48 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Could very well be the problem.

Your failure must not be "exactly like ..."
You had better give us the fullest amount of context that you can think of.

Only about 150 people have done this 'first day' of release.
Few have reported: "Thank You"
and far fewer have reported a problem.

"Normal" failure during boot-up will export the USB storage area for a few seconds (5 .. 15) before failing.
Long enough to move a file.

Another thought -
Is this an ad supported (I.E: "Special Offers") Kindle?

PS:
That flag filename is:
DO_FACTORY_RESTORE
All capitals, no extension, no contents (which some find hard to do on a Windoze box).

Can you run a Linux LiveCD or Linux in a VM on that PC?
I really have less than zero recent experience with Windows (unless you want to downgrade to Win-2 or Win-3).

Last edited by knc1; 07-05-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #30
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
We have had about 75 GB of download activity on our servers for these files. It seems more than a few folks have been waiting for this. And this was only the first day. It may increase if this gets on any hacker news services.

I submitted it to Hackaday yesterday -- they were quite interested in kindles in the past. Not published yet. Perhaps the kindle hackers were on holiday leave this weekend (because, picnics and fireworks!)... If a bunch of folks submit something, they are more likely to take notice. So go ahead and submit a tip (and other news services too, like ycombinator and slashdot).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-05-2016 at 09:17 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote