Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 02:45 AM   #991
Sepelion
Sepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage
eReader: KA1
Latest firmware
Regarding: kepub's broken / cut off.
Related plugins/tools tested: KoboTouchExtended and Kepubify

TL;DR Question: Does anyone have normal working kepub's on the latest firmware (4.8.11073) without cutoff edges, normal chapters with correct page counts, ability to turn pages without half or more (or all sometimes if you keep turning) text missing?

Up until the most recent firmware (4.8.11073), I had no issues with using the patch to make kepub's full screen (aka "three fixes" for kepubs patch). I used it on the last two or three firmwares with no issue.

Most of my books are in Calibre in ePub -> Send to Device -> Calibre's plugin KoboTouchExtended converts that ePub to a kepub during that transfer and you get a kepub.epub on the kobo, which shows as a Kobo Epub in Nickel's book list. That's expected and normal.

Now though, with the latest patch, you can open these kepubs, and you're getting chopped off pages despite having patched for full screen, and even if you revert to just the firmware itself (meaning no patch at all), it's identical, still chopped off pages on the ends, sometimes whole pages missing, and also, if you go to the chapter/pages scroll button at the bottom, you see some ridiculous number of pages like 29352 for books that really only have 200 or 300 pages, and when you try to jump around, you usually get blank pages.

If you go into settings and turn off full-screen (enabling show headers and footers checkmark box), you still get a cut-off text, just going behind those header and footer overlay bars.

That suggests to me that something in the last patch either broke kepub's, or KoboTouchExtended's kepub generation is broken; the latter would be verified if someone else has working kepubs generated by another method that have no such issues.

If I disable KoboTouchExtended and just send my ePub's to the KA1, I have no issue with those, fullscreen and not, both work with regular epubs, with proper chapter/page numbers in the scroll-line browser at the bottom (the book shows the correct 328 pages in epubs, and browses correctly showing full pages, rather than how the kepubs were showing 30k pages and dragging around just went to blank nothing).

UPDATE: Tested converting ePub's to kepub with Kepubify (and direct-copying the kepubs to kobo folder), same result: cut off pages, incorrect chapter/page numbers, regardless of full screen on or off, and regardless of whether I am using the patched version of the firmware or the stock version. This probably removes KoboTouchExtended plugin as a culprit, since two separate kepub generating methods both return the same broken result on the latest firmware; unless someone has a third to test that works, then both of those are the problem (unlikely).

UPDATE: More behavior feedback with kepubs

So, when you go to a chapter list, and then try to jump to a chapter, it jumps to a page, then it jumps back to the index by itself.

Last edited by Sepelion; 05-31-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Sepelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:42 AM   #992
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Sepilon: Are you sure the patches have been applied properly? Reading your description, that is the first thing that comes to mind. I haven't seen any other complaints about this and I think the firmware has been out long enough that people who use these function would have noticed.

For the page count and ToC problem, I haven't seen either. I just checked with a kepub that is deliberately badly constructed to test some ToC and page count foibles. Are you seeing these problems with all books? Or does it depend on when the book was added? Or even first opened. I haven't noticed any change of behaviour with how kepubs are sideloaded with this firmware, but if there is a difference, when the book was added might be important.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2018, 06:22 PM   #993
Sepelion
Sepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfoldedSepelion reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@Sepilon: Are you sure the patches have been applied properly? Reading your description, that is the first thing that comes to mind. I haven't seen any other complaints about this and I think the firmware has been out long enough that people who use these function would have noticed.

For the page count and ToC problem, I haven't seen either. I just checked with a kepub that is deliberately badly constructed to test some ToC and page count foibles. Are you seeing these problems with all books? Or does it depend on when the book was added? Or even first opened. I haven't noticed any change of behaviour with how kepubs are sideloaded with this firmware, but if there is a difference, when the book was added might be important.
Problem is with all books. Completely reloaded them from Calibre.

They're all having cut-off text at various points, whether I use the three fixes for kepubs fullscreen patch, or just stock.

If nobody else has cut off text in all of their kepubs, then it's just me somehow, but I did factory reset even and tried with stock firmware unpatched, and am still seeing cut-off text in my kepubs with and without the patch, like as in a whole half of some pages cut off, BUT when you go to the next page, you can clearly see it is "resuming where it left off," as in if the bottom of the page's last cut off sentence show's 40% of the top of that sentence, the next page will definitely show the whole bottom 60% of that cut-off sentence.

It's either just me, or not a whole lot of people with kepub fullscreen on KA1 are seeing this yet. I mean, that probably is a small demographic to have KEPUBS + KA1 + the patch for three kepub fullscreen bugs = yes.

Anyways, epubs work perfectly fine, so I'll just deal with those for now. If factory reset + reloading all of the books is still doing this, I dunno what else to think of.
Sepelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #994
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepelion View Post
Problem is with all books. Completely reloaded them from Calibre.

They're all having cut-off text at various points, whether I use the three fixes for kepubs fullscreen patch, or just stock.

If nobody else has cut off text in all of their kepubs, then it's just me somehow, but I did factory reset even and tried with stock firmware unpatched, and am still seeing cut-off text in my kepubs with and without the patch, like as in a whole half of some pages cut off, BUT when you go to the next page, you can clearly see it is "resuming where it left off," as in if the bottom of the page's last cut off sentence show's 40% of the top of that sentence, the next page will definitely show the whole bottom 60% of that cut-off sentence.
Now I am not sure what you are talking about. Your first post seemed to be talking about cut off text at the end of each line. This is a known problem with the full screen mode for kepubs and a combination of the CSS in kepubs and the patches are needed to fix this. If this is happening, then I suggest going to the patch thread and discussing it there. Reporting a problem with the patches, is not the purpose of this thread.

But, this seems to be talking about the bottom and top of pages. I occasionally see a problem where the tops of the risers of the first line on the next page will appear across the bottom of a page. Or the descenders from the last line of the previous page appear at the top of the screen. This is always a problem with the font. In all cases, the book has an embedded font, usually a version of Charis SIL, and changing to a different font will solve the problem. I have also sideloaded the font and seen the same problem when using it. I suspect this is really an issue with the font not reporting its details correctly. Someone has said here that when they see this, it is usually with a small font size and that fiddling with the linespacing and font size a bit fixes things. In any case, to the best of my knowledge, none of the patches affect this.

But, again, you seem to be losing more text at the bottom of the page. The gap at the bottom of the page does depend on the font size, line spacing and how the text falls on the page. The renderer should be moving whole lines to the next page. That can mean a larger than normal gap at the bottom if the space left was only slightly smaller than a the space needed for a line. And the larger the font or line spacing used, the larger this space can be. But, I wouldn't expect it to ever be "whole half" of a page. I can't decide whether that is an exaggeration or is what you are actually seeing. With that, I would like to see photos or screen shots to get a better idea of what is happening and the actual book to try and work out why.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:55 AM   #995
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I was seeing a problem with pages occasionally not fully rendering and leaving blank spots on the page. Normal actions to trigger a refresh would fix it.

I haven't seen that in a while, so maybe it was one of previous firmware releases.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2018, 03:56 PM   #996
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Device: Glo HD/H2O
Firmware version: 4.8.11073
Bug: Reading stats for books marked as "read" are not saved/are reset

Reposting this from the firmware thread:
Quote:
I think I may have found a bug with this firmware version, having to do again with reading stats. In my case at least, reading stats for a single book are recorded correctly while the book is being read, and the overall reading stats for the device are also updated accordingly; but when I try accessing the reading stats of a book I already finished, I will get zeros all over the page, almost as if with the book marked as read, all of the stats for that book reset themselves automatically. IIRC that didn't use to be the case with previous firmware versions (of course before the one that broke reading stats completely).

I should specify that this applies at least to sideloaded .kepubs, and that none of the books I've marked as read on the device, even before updating to this firmware, have reading stats anymore. The overall reading stats, as I said, are fine.
I've also tried going back to firmware version 4.8.10956 and then 4.6.9960, with no change (i.e. 'deleted' stats did not reappear).

Last edited by mathil; 06-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #997
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Yesterday I came across with a funny bug. I have PIN code set on my Kobo Aura, and I wanted to continue my reading at night. When I opened the case, I tried to switch the frontlight on to enter my code but I couldn't because the light switch doesn't work on the PIN code request page!
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #998
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
partial re-draw bug

Firmware: 4.8.11090
Bug: popup message leaves behind artifacts

How to reproduce/description:

I've been alternating my Clara HD and Aura One to read The Three Musketeers which is an Overdrive book (epub). When I pick up the one I've not been using I get a popup message saying "New Bookmark" and asking if I want to jump to the location the other device was last at. If I choose "No"* then it re-draws the screen under the popup perfectly apart from where the No button was, there you get sort of half-drawn characters mixed with after image of the No button.

This happened two or three times with the Clara HD but I didn't see it at all with the Aura One which is on 4.8.11073.

Also, I tried to capture a screenshot of this but I couldn't reproduce it once I'd added the line to the conf file to enable this. Maybe the act of adding this feature changes the way the screen is drawn and that avoids the bug. Or maybe I just didn't hit the same set of circumstances.

*I did also see this once with the Yes button - where the "new" location was actually the same as where it already was. Obviously otherwise it would re-draw the entire screen and in that case it's fine.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:24 AM   #999
diamaunt
diamaunt began at the beginning.

Device: ezreader
'system' header won't go away

Aura HD, software 4.8.11073.

'couple things... tapping center bottom now flips between page and percentage read, instead of bringing up the menu.

So, I tap at the top, click the menu at the bottom, select annotations, pick a book marked page... and it does jump to it... the bottom menu disappears, but the top menu stays...

And I can't figure out how to get it to go away, even though it's covering the first couple of lines of the page.

The only way I've found to clear the menu is to go to the home page, or something, and then back into the book.
diamaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:55 AM   #1000
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamaunt View Post
Aura HD, software 4.8.11073.

'couple things... tapping center bottom now flips between page and percentage read, instead of bringing up the menu.
That has been happening for two or three firmware versions. It is a change from using a long-press to change the display. I don't know if this is actually a bug or a deliberate change. But it doesn't work well and I suggest complaining to Kobo. Enough complaints should get it changed back.

This is mainly a problem if you use one of the tap zone setups that have the small area at the bottom to open the menu. If you tap a little bit above the page number in the text area, it should bring up or disable the menu bars.
Quote:
So, I tap at the top, click the menu at the bottom, select annotations, pick a book marked page... and it does jump to it... the bottom menu disappears, but the top menu stays...

And I can't figure out how to get it to go away, even though it's covering the first couple of lines of the page.

The only way I've found to clear the menu is to go to the home page, or something, and then back into the book.
The top bar not disappearing when an annotation or search result is selected has been there for a while. The recent change to the page number change has made it harder to dismiss. And hence more annoying. Changing to one of the other tap zones also solves the problem as you can tap anywhere in the centre of the screen.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #1001
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
That has been happening for two or three firmware versions. It is a change from using a long-press to change the display. I don't know if this is actually a bug or a deliberate change. But it doesn't work well and I suggest complaining to Kobo. Enough complaints should get it changed back.

I actually really like toggling through the reading progress display with an easy short tap (and I haven't had any menu issues, in 4.7.10733 with reading settings set to bring up menu from the small area at the bottom).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #1002
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I actually really like toggling through the reading progress display with an easy short tap (and I haven't had any menu issues, in 4.7.10733 with reading settings set to bring up menu from the small area at the bottom).
In one way, I don't mind it to much, but it is a little bit to easy to change. Plus, the tap area changed from just the page number to most of the way across the bottom of the screen. That makes it hard to use the bottom of the screen to turn the page when reading.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:14 AM   #1003
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
... the tap area changed from just the page number to most of the way across the bottom of the screen. That makes it hard to use the bottom of the screen to turn the page when reading.
Very hard to get used to.
Also despite page turn set to swipe only, sometimes it selects. Yet select can be very slow. I use my Kobo about 1/3 of time to proof & annotate, very annoying.
Also though the bug of annotation not stored if selection included EOL, now there is a bug where only part or one word of selection is stored as highlight.
There was another bug I noticed three days ago, forgotten now.
There is a bug on my Kobo on last 4.7 FW and current 4.8 fw on non-body margins and body first line indent rendering half size relative to everything else if not in ems.

Maybe I'm weird, I only want progress in %. Page numbers and time seem meaningless to me.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-21-2018 at 06:19 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:01 AM   #1004
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Very hard to get used to.
Also despite page turn set to swipe only, sometimes it selects. Yet select can be very slow. I use my Kobo about 1/3 of time to proof & annotate, very annoying.
If a swipe does a select, that means you started slow doing the swipe and it appeared as the action for a highlight.
Quote:
Also though the bug of annotation not stored if selection included EOL,
Do you mean when the selection finishes at the end of the line? Or goes over the end of the line? Or maybe the end of a paragraph? In any case, I have no issue with creating annotations that include the end of a line in any of these circumstances. Except one.

That one exception is in epubs if the selection includes the of a paragraph that continues from the previous screen. And the paragraph doesn't end with more than one punctuation mark. This has been around for a long time.
Quote:
now there is a bug where only part or one word of selection is stored as highlight.
Again, not seeing any issues with this. I do a lot of annotations to mark errors in books, and have no issues.
Quote:
There was another bug I noticed three days ago, forgotten now.
There is a bug on my Kobo on last 4.7 FW and current 4.8 fw on non-body margins and body first line indent rendering half size relative to everything else if not in ems.
Again a problem I am not seeing. And I'm still waiting for you to post a sample or a screenshot that demonstrates the problem. Then I can see what is different for you and me.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #1005
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Product: Kobo aura h20 edition 2
Firmware: the one I bought it with...
Plugins: none
File types: epubs
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: both
On external SD: no

Hey everyone. My ereader drains battery very quickly on sleeping mode. It went from 82 to 58 in less than 4 hours for no reason. Is it normal for this ereader or is something wrong with it?
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app