Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #61
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasys View Post
Yeah, it has, but the button is so small, so it is difficult to hit with thicker fingers.
Have you considered to have something like X11 interface? - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170436
you may edit the following file :
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
To have a bigger "close icon" I also changed 68th line of frontend\ui\widget\menu.lua to something like that:
Code:
		text = "-[ X ]-    ",
( on windows use "notepad++", or "programmer's notepad",etc not notepad)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 AM   #62
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
OK, will try.

And what about having more user friendly interface like X11?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 04:16 AM   #63
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Have you considered to have something like X11 interface? - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170436
KPV started on the K3, where there's no X11. So much for the history - and I might add to that that I don't particularly like X11 as an API, find it somewhat over-designed especially for the context of low-resource embedded devices (as the Kindles are).

Yes, I'm a bit opinionated about that.

That bit about being over-designed is even more true for Qt, which is used by the reading app mentioned. I just don't trust it enough. That's where my like for C shines through, and my dislike for C++ (especially for the wrangled C++ of Qt).

All of this is personal opinion, however, not necessarily shared by all developers. But KOReader fills a niche, I think.

PS/Addendum: X11 isn't user-friendly at all. You're probably talking about Qt, but that's a resource hog. There's nothing stopping KOReader from getting more user-friendly with its current UI scheme.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #64
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
I'm talking about X11 in Hacked Up Reader. Same interface was in Hanlin Coolreader, in my opinion it has all what is needed. And you are right, Qt is just a crap.
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 AM   #65
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
I'm talking about X11 in Hacked Up Reader. Same interface was in Hanlin Coolreader, in my opinion it has all what is needed. And you are right, Qt is just a crap.
Oh dang, thanks for the correction. I see what you mean. Yes, a possibility, but then you could just use HackedUpReader :-) But when you look at our Widget infrastructure, you'll see that we can do a lot, too. And there's my strong like towards Lua as the language to do it... Plus, in the end I'd like to have keyboard support and extend support to all Kindles - including those without X11. Which are still many - given that the K4 doesn't have it.

I don't necessarily go into absolute statements, programmers tend to be opinionated and there's no exception with me. So, Qt lovers, don't feel offended ;-)

Last edited by hawhill; 04-09-2013 at 04:33 AM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #66
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Thumbs up

Thank you for doing this, I have the latest build running now.
Some questions, if you don't mind.

Does the reader need some time to index, or should I see all books straight away?
I have about 500 azw and mobi, a handful of epub and pdf, nearly all drm stripped.

Is it possible to:

Set a default font that applies each time I open a book (epub or mobi or doc) At present it resets to a sans serif font each time I close the application and restart, selecting last read.

Change the font size?

Change the margins?

Is there any integration with collections manager? Not a major problem, I will be using the reader mainly for pdfs, and only have a few.

Oh, and next time I get lost in the file manager what is the path to the documents please?

piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #67
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Click at the bottom some options there... Font weight, Size, Gamma, Boldness

Unsure about the font permanence etc... EDIT: Hmm yeah looks like they are currently not "stored", oddly

I didn't see a margin thingy.

docs are /mnt/us/documents

../ should take you "up"
HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_385.png
Views:	1260
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	104094   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_386.png
Views:	921
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	104095   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_387.png
Views:	2008
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	104096   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_388.png
Views:	839
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	104097   Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_389.png
Views:	1245
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	104098  

Last edited by twobob; 04-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #68
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Brilliant, thank you. I never even _thought_ about clicking at the bottom
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #69
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
Brilliant, thank you. I never even _thought_ about clicking at the bottom
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/48

Now perhaps others will
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #70
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Thanks twobob

Just wanted to announce that our gettext integration is working right now:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/koreader/

Thomass has added Turkish translation to koreader. We also have Chinese translation. If you would like to help adding more tranlations, feel free to send a request in transifex so we can add you as coordinator
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #71
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
KPV started on the K3, where there's no X11. So much for the history - and I might add to that that I don't particularly like X11 as an API, find it somewhat over-designed especially for the context of low-resource embedded devices (as the Kindles are).
A minor note, Kindles have enormously more memory and disk space than the earliest devices to run X. Heck, they have enormously more memory and disk space than the earliest devices I personally ran X11 on. For that matter I decommissioned a desktop box running X that had less memory and disk space than the Kindle Paperwhite in only 2009.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #72
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I installed KOReader with KPV Booklet (maybe this is the one that puts the epubs at documents in the home screen). I think it is extremelly fantastic! Thanks a lot, developers!

I would only like to know if there's a way to open a PDF with the Kindle PW native reader instead of with KOReader, because sometimes I need to highlight.

Thanks!
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #73
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
A minor note, Kindles have enormously more memory and disk space than the earliest devices to run X. Heck, they have enormously more memory and disk space than the earliest devices I personally ran X11 on. For that matter I decommissioned a desktop box running X that had less memory and disk space than the Kindle Paperwhite in only 2009.
Yeah, but Kindles are also running Java program permanently (which is, obviously, hungry to memory and CPU resources ). Did you have the same experience on your old desktop box?
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #74
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
would only like to know if there's a way to open a PDF with the Kindle PW native reader instead of with KOReader, because sometimes I need to highlight.
here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrox
do a long press on the pdf docs to popup the detail info dialog. And you can open the doc with native reader by tapping on the goto button.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #75
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Red face =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
here:
Thank you, man!
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, koreader, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch