Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #61
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I used V1.1 with a Usb stick on my netbook to take back my Kindle Touch, Its so easy to use. 10/10 and the great news for me, the problem i used to have with collections manager is now sorted.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #62
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
What about adding k3flasher and K3 images to Kubrick ?
That would make Kubrick an ultimate debricking tool able to debrick all present Kindle models (well, except PW for obvious reasons).
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #63
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
What about adding k3flasher and K3 images to Kubrick ?
That would make Kubrick an ultimate debricking tool able to debrick all present Kindle models (well, except PW for obvious reasons).
Go ahead!

Seriously: No, I won't look into it. There's probably not enough space on a CD to hold everything. Flashing K3 requires entirely different tools and logic (and takes about 5 hours). Essentially, Kubrick would have to be rewritten pretty much from scratch.

If you're eager to go for it - go for it. I'm not.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-21-2013 at 08:02 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #64
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Seriously: No, I won't look into it. There's probably not enough space on a CD to hold everything.
Doesn't matter. Who uses CDs these days anyway ?

Quote:
Flashing K3 requires entirely different tools and logic (and takes about 5 hours). Essentially, Kubrick would have to be rewritten pretty much from scratch.
I dare to say this is not true.
The logic is the same, even simpler:
  1. Call a command to check we're in USB downloader mode
  2. Call a command to flash kernel
  3. Call a command to flash rootfs
  4. Done. No diags flashing in this case
I don't see how this can be "entirely different".

Quote:
If you're eager to go for it - go for it. I'm not.
I would, but without the source code I would have to reimplement everything from scratch - I am not that eager.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #65
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I used a CD.

Just saying
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #66
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I used a CD.
Yeah, but only because you stockpiled way too much back in the nineties
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #67
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh... whatever. Sorry for having been a bit grumpy - guess I'm just having a bad day.

I'll take a look at it when I get the time. I guess one could provide USB stick images which contain everything, and ISOs for K3 and K4/K5 respectively. But yes, there are more people than you might think which still use CDs. The iso is being downloaded at least twice as often as the img.

Anyway, if someone could provide statically compiled binaries of k3flasher which "simply work" on kubrick, that'd be appreciated. I can't remember the other steps off the top of my head - only flashed a K3 once - but I guess k3flasher was all that is needed.

(or, ideally, provide exact shell code of the entire procedure from start to end, so I don't have to figure it all out again... thanks!)

PS: The sources *will* be released. The repository is already there, I just need to clean up.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #68
dsmid
Linux devotee

Thanks for reconsidering.

All that's needed is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37#post2431337

Checking the USB downloader mode (exits when K3 in USB DL mode is detected):
Code:
./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info
Flashing kernel:
Code:
./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program kernel <path_to_kernel_image>
Flashing rootfs:
Code:
./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program rootfs <path_to_rootfs_image> rootfs 1
The last two parameters work only in dpavlin's k3flasher and have this meaning:
rootfs = continuation address (just a place holder in our case)
1 = read before writing, i.e. read the chunk first, compare with the image and write only if there are any differences. This mode should be faster.

Kindle has to be rebooted manually.

If the image size is a problem, I can implement flashing gzipped images.

Last edited by dsmid; 02-21-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #69
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh... whatever. Sorry for having been a bit grumpy - guess I'm just having a bad day.

Other stuff...

PS: The sources *will* be released. The repository is already there, I just need to clean up.
Hey. after my day yesterday you have my unending sympathy.

nice one for doing the sources as such.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #70
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Thanks for reconsidering.

All that's needed is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...37#post2431337

Checking the USB downloader mode (exits when K3 in USB DL mode is detected):
Code:
./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info
Flashing kernel:
Code:
./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program kernel <path_to_kernel_image>
Flashing rootfs:
Code:
./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program rootfs <path_to_rootfs_image> rootfs 1
The last two parameters work only in dpavlin's k3flasher and have this meaning:
rootfs = continuation address (just a place holder in our case)
1 = read before writing, i.e. read the chunk first, compare with the image and write only if there are any differences. This mode should be faster.

Kindle has to be rebooted manually.

If the image size is a problem, I can implement flashing gzipped images.
Thanks, currently trying it out, everything looks good so far.

As to the gzipped images, that'd be a nice feature, so feel free to implement it. I won't need it though, I'll simply stuff the file into a squashfs image (which is essentially the same as gzip, just mountable), as I did with the Java runtime.

Another question though: does anybody know what the "keys" in mmcblk0p1-3.4+jb+keys.img.gz refers to? I suppose that it's the developer keys, but where are they located in the image? I'd like to remove them, in order to stick to the "pristine+jailbreak only" paradigm used with the other models.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #71
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
. But yes, there are more people than you might think which still use CDs. The iso is being downloaded at least twice as often as the img.
I think the point here is that most people with a working/in-use disc writer probably have a DVD burner.

While I'm posting... thanks for this.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #72
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I think the point here is that most people with a working/in-use disc writer probably have a DVD burner.

While I'm posting... thanks for this.
Digital versatile Discs??? New fangled magic!!!

Digs out Vic20 tape drive... ah that's better... Beeeeep squeeeel beeeep
hehehe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_191.png
Views:	1030
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	101667  
Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #73
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Another question though: does anybody know what the "keys" in mmcblk0p1-3.4+jb+keys.img.gz refers to? I suppose that it's the developer keys, but where are they located in the image? I'd like to remove them, in order to stick to the "pristine+jailbreak only" paradigm used with the other models.
Here is the announcement: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...15#post2262715

That means Geekmaster knows the answer.
Meanwhile I would suspect some file in /opt/amazon/ebook/security/ .
Or maybe he just forgot developer keys dwell in /var/local/, outside of mmcblk0p1.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #74
twobob

dev keys, I'm certain it means that... positive.

the 2012 "latest" ones IIRC

I often use that image myself. Never ACTUALLY checked the keys were installed though heh (which as you point out would be "tricky")

Last edited by twobob; 02-21-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #75
ixtab
(offline)

Version 2.0

The new Kubrick now washes even whiter!

Oh, wait... wrong claim.

The new Kubrick now also supports the Kindle 3!

I have implemented support for the K3. Everything is ready and seems to be working... (damn, testing that K3 stuff takes a lot of coffee... given that flashing takes at least 2 hours...)

Anyway: now uploading the files. They're not there yet, the upload will take another 2 or 3 hours - big files, many of them, and slow uplink

I'll update the first post once everything is there. If you're impatient, hit the F5 button on the first post until it says "Version 2.0"

I'll prepare the source repository in the mean time.

Special thanks to dsmid for the constructive input and help