Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #61
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
Thanks for an easy jailbreak tool.

The log says that all is right but the Collection Manages doesn't work because complains about Kindlet Jailbreak Required.

What I have done wrong?

Solved, I didn't understood and I had to install the kindlet jailbreak

Last edited by Oletros; 12-04-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #62
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
@ixtab, I suggest to rename Kindlet Jailbreak to something radically distinct from ordinary jailbreak.

Maybe Sweet Puppies? Imagine:
Quote:
Sweet Puppies Required.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #63
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Because "jailbreak" has bad connotations and (in USA) legal implications, we need a more low-key accurate descriptive name. Perhaps "user customization key", or "custom app certificate". Jailbreak just sounds so "criminal at large"...

Or euphamistically just go with eureka's "sweet puppy certificate" .
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #64
MrFritz
MrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmosMrFritz has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Help for another lost newbie

Congrats and many thanks for the great jailbreak for the Paperwhite. I successfully installed it on my PW 5.3.0 without issue. My PW DOES NOT HAVE ADS. I paid Amazon their $20 bucks before installing the hack.

Now that it's JB'ed, my questions are:

1) Where do I find the appropriate screensaver hack(s). I'm confused by the other threads thinking that they do not appear to be appropriate for the Paperwhite. Do I really need to install both the kindle-python-0.2.N.zip and kindle-linkss-0.6.N.zip ?

2) I'd also like to install some simple free games. Is there a thread for that ?

Thanking you in advance.
Fred
MrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #65
Tracy D.
N00b. Dumb but fearless.
Tracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseTracy D. juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: K4, Touch, PW
Thank you! I was kicking myself for updating the OS before checking Mobileread. Never again.
Tracy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #66
Thraeryn
Thraeryn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (5.3.0)
I knew I could count on the community to successfully jailbreak 5.3.0. Kudos, ixtab, for making me feel like I actually own my device.
Thraeryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #67
tagnaw
tagnaw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yep thanks.
I installed usb network from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2169819
and got my screensavers back like in http://blogs.balius.com/2012/10/29/c...le-paperwhite/ Can't remember if I should undo the mntroot rw command - (don't know what it does exactly) I didn't and it's working.

Now that I'm off topic - wouldn't it be nice if you could get an email saying "Don't enable wifi" so old guys like me wouldn't have to seacrh this (albeit wonderful) forum every time before buying a new book?
tagnaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #68
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Because "jailbreak" has bad connotations and (in USA) legal implications, we need a more low-key accurate descriptive name. Perhaps "user customization key", or "custom app certificate". Jailbreak just sounds so "criminal at large"...

Or euphamistically just go with eureka's "sweet puppy certificate" .
Also known as "itty bitty kitty certificate".
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #69
mano42
mano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to beholdmano42 is a marvel to behold

Device: k3, k4, k5, pw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10n4BJlt4DE&hd=1

I will make a more complex video if you don't mind, if it bothers you I can remove it...

offtopic:

I use my PW in Europe, and I don't have any option to deactivate ads in my amazon account (I want to pay the 20 $ but I don't have any options), can somebody lighten me how to do it?
mano42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 AM   #70
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
My vote would go to "kindle enhancement certificate" or if you are more politically inclined "user empowering certifcate" or "kindle liberation certificate"
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:10 AM   #71
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@aceflor: please reboot your device and try the SSH commands again WITHOUT having tried the jailbreak before. There is something seriously weird happening on your device, and I'd like to know what that is...

@all, concerning "Kindlet jailbreak": guess what, I'll just stay with "Kindlet jailbreak"
If people aren't able to read and understand the installation instructions posted in the thread, and again in the README files, and again on the screen - the exact message display is "This application requires the Kindlet Jailbreak to be installed. This is an additional jailbreak that must be installed on top of the Device Jailbreak, in order to allow Kindlets to get the required permissions. Please install the Kindlet Jailbreak before using this application." - then I guess that renaming it to ANYTHING doesn't help those people either.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@aceflor: please reboot your device and try the SSH commands again WITHOUT having tried the jailbreak before. There is something seriously weird happening on your device, and I'd like to know what that is...
Hers has a lot of books on it (high percentage of eMMC in use), yours is nearly empty.
That changes the eMMC write speed.

To test: Put a large percentage of your own eMMC into use - just anything, even a few very large files in the USB storage area.
Then yours will write as slow as hers does.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #73
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hers has a lot of books on it (high percentage of eMMC in use), yours is nearly empty.
That changes the eMMC write speed.

To test: Put a large percentage of your own eMMC into use - just anything, even a few very large files in the USB storage area.
Then yours will write as slow as hers does.
I have about 1GB of partition images on it. - wouldn't exactly call that "empty".

But anyway, the diags partition shouldn't have been mounted after a reboot. And it seems like she rebooted several times, and always got the same kind of error about being unable to backup diags /etc/shadow. And the installer does (try to) unmount diags after it finishes, even if it failed. This is all puzzling me.

@aceflor: Oh, and please also run these commands:
Code:
mount
df -h
and post the output.

Last edited by ixtab; 12-05-2012 at 06:35 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 AM   #74
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
True, if this was a single purpose jailbreak.
Is this the first section (at line 332) that actually does something?

In addition to "mount" ask her to do a "df -h"
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 AM   #75
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
then I guess that renaming it to ANYTHING doesn't help those people either.
Maybe you could try using colors
Device jailbreak could be Red Jailbreak™ and Kindlet jailbreak could be ... Blue Jailbreak™.

Even bees are able to follow colors. Most people are smarter than bees, aren't they ?
It's a pitty Kindle display is black and white though
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote