Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Adobe New Open Source Font Doesn't Render in ADE?

Adobe has a new open-source font:

http://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/...-sans-pro.html

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/stor...kage&code=1959

However, when I embedded it in a test epub, it failed to render in ADE and on my Sony T1. It does, however, render in Calibre's Ebook-Viewer (but with inconsistent results for italic and bold).

I tried both ttf and otf versions. I also included a third open font (Fontin) as a control, and Fontin renders fine. The epub also validates using EpubCheck and FlightCrew and the CSS validates using the W3C validator.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by pssquirrel; 08-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Ironic isn't it? Adobe releases a free font that won't work in their own desktop ePub renderer.

ADE is quite finicky when it comes to embedded fonts. There are many examples of fonts that work practically everywhere but ADE. I've found that most of the time ... the OS/2 version property of the font is the culprit. Seriously. I know ... crazy, right? Fontforge seems to default to OS/2 version 4 if the setting is left to automatic when generating the TrueType or OTF fonts, and I've never found a font yet saved as OS/2 version 4 that will work in ADE (when embedded in an ePub). Ever.

Long story short: open the font in FontForge, check the Font Info (Element menu) and confirm that they are OS/2 version 4, change to version 3 and re-generate the font. Bingo, bango, bongo... embedded font now works in ADE (any OS/2 version less than 4 seems to be the key here. The Fontin font—for example—is OS/2 version 1).

I fixed the TTF fonts and attached them if you want to verify that it works. Hope that helps.

[Removed Links to modified fonts]

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-09-2012 at 06:18 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DiapDealer! Your fixed fonts work great! (and I'm relieved it wasn't an html or css error on my part -- I double-checked and triple-checked. It was really making me crazy.)

I checked out Fontforge. Sadly, the install instructions went way over my head.

I hesitate to impose, but if it's not too much trouble, might I persuade you to fix the semi-bold, semi-bold italic, black and black-italic versions of this font?

If it's not too much trouble, I would be eternally grateful.

Last edited by pssquirrel; 08-09-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
A bit of exercise for a quiet Saturday night... useful, I hope.

Here's the complete set of TTF files. It's easy, once you figure out that reviewing the errors (self-intersecting and missing extremity points) doesn't also save the file. I hope those errors don't cause problems; I haven't taken the time to embed these in something to check them - at all. The affected characters seemed to be out of the usual ranges. Also, this was my first attempt at generating a font; usually I just go in to check coverage. So please let me know if anything needs fixing. I hope I haven't wasted anyone's time but my own.

[Download link removed]

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-09-2012 at 06:34 PM.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is a version of Fontforge compiled to run under Windows.

http://www.mpetroff.net/software/fontforge-windows/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #6
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
It does, however, render in Calibre's Ebook-Viewer (but with inconsistent results for italic and bold).
I noticed these inconsistent results for italic and bold with any embedded font in callibre and sigil (same engine).

The font is ok, it's just the rendering-engine which fails here.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
pssquirrel
ebooknut

everyone!

@pholy - Your fixed fonts work great! Thank you so much for taking the time to fix the complete set.

@JSWolf - Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'm on a Mac so Fontforge compiled for Windows doesn't help me. But I appreciate your taking the time to post.

@mmat1 - Thanks for the Calibre tip. Good to know.

And of course, big thank you to DiapDealer for the providing the solution. To say it's ironic that ADE won't read an Adobe font is putting it mildly. Doh!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just love a happy ending.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
everyone!

@pholy - Your fixed fonts work great! Thank you so much for taking the time to fix the complete set.

@JSWolf - Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'm on a Mac so Fontforge compiled for Windows doesn't help me. But I appreciate your taking the time to post.

@mmat1 - Thanks for the Calibre tip. Good to know.

And of course, big thank you to DiapDealer for the providing the solution. To say it's ironic that ADE won't read an Adobe font is putting it mildly. Doh!
ADE 1.8.3 preview works fine with the fonts as is.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE 1.8.3 preview works fine with the fonts as is.
That's correct... but not very relevant until ADE 1.7 is dead, buried, and all devices upgraded to the new rendering engine.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
pssquirrel
ebooknut

This is my problem exactly. While I'm happy that Adobe has fixed the problem in ADE 1.8.3, what I really need is for Sony to update its firmware (by upgrading its version of Adobe Mobile Reader SDK?) to match since I do 99% of my reading on my T1/350. I just use ADE to test stuff on my computer.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
This is my problem exactly. While I'm happy that Adobe has fixed the problem in ADE 1.8.3, what I really need is for Sony to update its firmware (by upgrading its version of Adobe Mobile Reader SDK?) to match since I do 99% of my reading on my T1/350. I just use ADE to test stuff on my computer.
But now that you know the problem and the solution, it can be fixed if you want to install Fontforge.

To be honest, I doubt you'll be getting a newer version of ADE. Maybe the T2 will have a newer ADE. But I doubt the T1 on down will have ADE updated.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
Miguel Sousa
Miguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it isMiguel Sousa knows what time it is

Device: none
DiapDealer, great job at diagnosing the problem and patching the fonts. While I appreciate your efforts, I must remind you and pholy that by distributing modified versions of Source Sans Pro while using the Reserved Font Name 'Source' you are both in violation of the fonts' license.

Please disable the current font downloads, or provide them under a different font name.

We're working on a revision to Source Sans Pro that will fix this and other issues, and we'll post it on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/sourcesans.adobe/files/) as soon as it's ready.

Thanks,
Miguel Sousa

Team Lead
Type Development
Adobe Systems Incorporated
Miguel Sousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Opps, sorry, Miguel. I saw the 'open source' designation but missed the 'reserved name' qualification. I have asked the mods to remove the download link from my post, and presumably DD will do the same.
How soon do you expect to post new files? (Is it worth my while to expend the creativity to come up with a new name and regenerate all the files?) Would you please post a note here when you do? Thanks - pholy
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
While I appreciate your efforts, I must remind you and pholy that by distributing modified versions of Source Sans Pro while using the Reserved Font Name 'Source' you are both in violation of the fonts' license.

Please disable the current font downloads, or provide them under a different font name.
Done. My apologies for not paying closer attention to detail.