Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereaderundecided View Post
But would if I don't want to convert and use an app, which one is most common or popular?
Google for a device that includes ePub then and take your choice.
Start at the top of the results list for "most queried".

OR

One opinion:
http://www.businessinsider.com/kindl...review-2012-10
Plus a reader application that handles ePub:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170436

If instead of the above device you want one of the models that includes a keyboard, then:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047
Also does ePub.

This question is really a personal decision which you should make for yourself.

Last edited by knc1; 10-05-2012 at 03:05 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #47
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
We still can't change the title of our own threads (only the first post), so it'll have to go through a moderator.

I'm waiting until I finish putting it into a proper state re: doc & misc stuff before doing that, though .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #48
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
We still can't change the title of our own threads (only the first post), so it'll have to go through a moderator.

I'm waiting until I finish putting it into a proper state re: doc & misc stuff before doing that, though .
I change the title of my first post, then click the "Report Post" button to the bottom left of it, and leave a message that says "Please change thread title to title of first post". That always does the job for me.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #49
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Released v1.4.N!

* It should handle the PaperWhite more gracefully (meaning: with a splash screen adapted to the higher resolution of the KPW screen ).

EDIT: And the thread title has been updated . Thanks, mods! .

Err, also forgot to mention that I attached a repack of yifan's simple_usbnet package in the first post. It should handle the PaperWhite .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #50
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That should eliminate the confusion out there about this only being for 5.1.x (i.e. not for Paperwhite). Now it should be very clear that this *IS* for the Paperwhite. I thank you. The world thanks you. May your karma be forever upgraded.
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #51
setite
Enthusiast
setite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughingsetite can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
So is data.tar.gz only for Touch? Or is it for PW too? I used data.stgz and the JB seemed to work on my PW. I saw the JB logo, which didn't fit the screen, and I have the JB PDOC.

EDIT: NVM that, I figured that out. Has anyone tried anything on the PW yet? I would like to use the following so I can start managing my Kindle Collections better. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171132

Last edited by setite; 10-05-2012 at 07:53 PM.
setite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You get to earn the bragging rights by being the first.
Start with installing the next requirement listed on that linked page.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #53
Panopticon
Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.Panopticon shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I too have run the jailbreak on my Kindle PW and confirmed that it resulted in the "you are now jailbroken!" book being added, making it seem like it worked!

My question now is can I start doing the "update your Kindle" trick to get things like USB networking and SSH working? I don't mind experimenting and reporting results, but I'd only like to take the risk if there's a technical reason why it should work. Hopefully someone more familiar with this topic than I am can take an educated guess?
Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #54
knc1
Going Viral

@Panopticon : The usb networking attachment of the top post has also been updated (re-packaged) for the Kpw.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #55
veagles
veagles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Can someone post the new fonts from kindle paperwhite?
veagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #56
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by setite View Post
So is data.tar.gz only for Touch? Or is it for PW too? I used data.stgz and the JB seemed to work on my PW. I saw the JB logo, which didn't fit the screen, and I have the JB PDOC.

EDIT: NVM that, I figured that out. Has anyone tried anything on the PW yet? I would like to use the following so I can start managing my Kindle Collections better. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171132
data.tar.gz is for 5.0.x firmware. 5.1.x and 5.2.0 use data.stgz.

As far as I know, the only update package for the Paperwhite (so far) is "simple USBNet", which you can download at the first post. Hacks that install using the "RUNME.sh" method do not need to be "repackaged". Some K5 hacks might not work on the PW without some modification.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-06-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by veagles View Post
Short answer: No
Long answer: Please read the Mobileread guidelines, section 8.
You can find a link to the guidelines at the very bottom of every page.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #58
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by veagles View Post
You can extract them yourself. Read this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2249332
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #59
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
You guys made slashdot!
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #60
geekmaster

Between this thread and my announcement thread, we have gotten about 20,000 hits in the past day or so. And now that we got slashdotted this morning, the hit counts should increase even faster.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch