Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Lord Beric
Immortal
Lord Beric began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Hey, Im using the manager and it is great but I made a mistake, I put it "invisible" in Home and now I cant bring it to visibility again. Whats the solution?

(dont ask me why I did that )
Lord Beric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #17
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Beric View Post
Hey, Im using the manager and it is great but I made a mistake, I put it "invisible" in Home and now I cant bring it to visibility again. Whats the solution?

(dont ask me why I did that )
You set the Collections Manager itself to invisible? Bad luck.

Plug the Kindle to the computer, delete collectionsmanager.azw2, unplug Kindle.
Plug the Kindle to the computer, put collectionsmanager.azw2 in documents, unplug Kindle.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #18
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab: Err, not sure I was clear enough . Let's try again:

I was thinking specifically of importing/exporting just a simple json representation of the collections db, preferably in the same format used on previous Kindles (which is, AFAIU, still used on the Touch, only meshed with a sqlite db), not of reorganizing the documents FS layout to match the collections db . But since I have no idea how the Java side of this thing works, I'm not sure if/how it's possible . I'm guessing there should be something of the sort available, since it's more or less what the 'Import Collections From Another Device' vanilla feature does, I think, albeit maybe in XML instead of JSON (cf. KSP)...
Hmmm... ok, let's see.

First off, where is that "Import Collections from Another Device" feature? I never found anything like that. Are you sure it's there on the K5?

Second... no. AFAIK, the K5 does not use a JSON representation of the collections, everything is stored in the database.

Anyway... it would be pretty trivial to export the collections tree to JSON or XML - and to import it back. It could be possible to get it to work with the content as well, assuming that the titles are unique. But that is speculation for now, until the questions below are answered

I'm still a bit confused. What do I have to do in calibre to manage collections? How does that relate to the collections.py that you linked? And, could you post an example of a JSON or XML file in the format that should be supported?
Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #19
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Hmmm... ok, let's see.

First off, where is that "Import Collections from Another Device" feature? I never found anything like that. Are you sure it's there on the K5?

Second... no. AFAIK, the K5 does not use a JSON representation of the collections, everything is stored in the database.

Anyway... it would be pretty trivial to export the collections tree to JSON or XML - and to import it back. It could be possible to get it to work with the content as well, assuming that the titles are unique. But that is speculation for now, until the questions below are answered

I'm still a bit confused. What do I have to do in calibre to manage collections? How does that relate to the collections.py that you linked? And, could you post an example of a JSON or XML file in the format that should be supported?
Side note about importing from another kindle: All you have to do is go to Archived Items and in the menu there is an option to import collections. If you have another kindle registered to you then it copies the collections from that kindle to yours.
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:26 AM   #20
ixtab
(offline)

OK...

I installed the Kindle Collections plugin in calibre, and tried to get in touch with the developer: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...95#post2167095

Of course, if anybody here can answer some of the questions I posted there, that'll be really appreciated.
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #21
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
ixtab:

In response to your questions on the calibre plugin Kindle Collections I'd recommend downloading or installing the plugin file, and then just unzip the python code to look at the details. Its been a long time since I looked at this but I'll try to give some answers. Since I don't have a Kindle touch I can't do any testing for you, but I think handling the format should be straightforward given what you've already done.

The json format you gave looks correct:

[QUOTE=ixtab;2167095]
Code:
{"Sample Series@en-US": {"items": ["#7af2ad8e-f04e-4797-bab4-8dfc0277210d^EBOK", "#B004UBEKXI^EBOK"], "lastAccess": 1234567890000}}
[/code]

"items" must always be there, but can be an empty array []
"lastAccess" must always be there, but can be 0, or whatever date you want to set
Those are the only fields that I can recall.

The CDE type may not matter for your software if all you are doing is importing the json file created by the calibre plugin. There are types like EBOK, MAGZ for magazine, PDOC for personal document, etc. The string is just the book code that the Kindle uses to identify your book. The shorter ones starting with # are Amazon books, the longer starting with * are hash numbers for side-loaded books. I don't know if the algorithmn for the book codes is the same on the Touch.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
ixtab
(offline)

Version 1.1.0

So... I just released version 1.1.0.

The major new feature is that you can now manage collections with calibre!

A bit more information about the calibre support:
  • synchronizing with calibre will never delete any collections, or change the visibility status of any existing item.
  • synchronization might create new collections, which are visible in Home by default.
  • synchronization will modify the affected collections, adding or removing items as required.

In addition, a few minor changes concern the delete behaviour: deletion is now enabled for multiple collections, and they don't need to be empty before being deleted.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-29-2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #23
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
Suggestion.... Since this ONLY works with Kindle Touch.

Change the Topic header to "Collections Manager for Kindle Touch"

*EDIT* Oops I now see the little K5/K3/etc squares on the topics in the forums.
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #24
ixtab
(offline)

Version 1.1.1

Sorry for the frequent updates... just fixed a bug in the calibre import code.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab/meme: Awesome²! Thanks .

I'll take a look on how to cobble up nested collections handling on the plugin side of things...
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
KostaMCU
KostaMCU began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Post synchronization folders-->collections

Is poissible generate collections from folder structure and synchronization collections in future time, when folder structure id changed?

thx
KostaMCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #27
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KostaMCU View Post
Is poissible generate collections from folder structure and synchronization collections in future time, when folder structure id changed?

thx
You can create collections from the folders layout as many times as you want.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #28
KostaMCU
KostaMCU began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Collection from folder layout

I have organize ebooks in folders:

Author
.... A
........ Abercrombie
............ Book 1.txt
............ Book 2.txt
............ Book 3.txt

.... Z
........ Zelazny
............ Amber 1.txt
............ Amber 2.txt
............ Amber 3.txt

Series
.... Serie 1
........ Book4.txt

.... Serie 2
........ Book5.txt

.... Serie xx
........ Book6.txt
........ Book7.txt

How do automatic generate collection from this folder layout? Sorry, sorry but i dont know

Last edited by KostaMCU; 07-31-2012 at 03:14 AM.
KostaMCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #29
ixtab
(offline)

Click the menu.

Last edited by ixtab; 07-31-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #30
ChrisKaos
Enthusiast
ChrisKaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
"Application Error: The selected application could not be started. Please try again."

I also received another error prior to that which then rebooted my kindle without me telling it to do so.

Edit: It loaded as far as seeing "mobileread.net" and then crashed again. And when I click menu while it's open, nothing occurs.

Last edited by ChrisKaos; 07-31-2012 at 07:03 PM.
ChrisKaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks