Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #106
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Off-topic: Regarding the deadly "Redshirt Syndrome", which kills away party members wearing red shirts in the original Star Trek universe, why is Scotty immune?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-23-2016 at 07:01 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #107
KinkyBlack
KinkyBlack began at the beginning.

Device: SE blank MEGREZ
I'm lost here, where to find information about debricking kindle 8th gen?
KinkyBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #108
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyBlack View Post
I'm lost here, where to find information about debricking kindle 8th gen?
Which one?
There where two 8th gen Kindles.
Please be specific:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

What do you mean by "bricked"?
State what it does that you want to fix.

De-bricking any touch-screen device is same-same -
So just use the first post of this thread to find what you need.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #109
KinkyBlack

Thanks for the reply.
Its Basic 2 (Black) KT3
screen display only list of book whithout any response.
After that discharge very quickly and have warm back
after plug in via usb it has name se blank megrez

there is a lot of information on this forum, about difrent devices and i'm bit confused, because i dont have any experience
Old 02-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #110
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
Its Basic 2 (Black) KT3
screen display only list of book whithout any response.
After that discharge very quickly and have warm back
after plug in via usb it has name se blank megrez

there is a lot of information on this forum, about difrent devices and i'm bit confused, because i dont have any experience
That should never happen with a Kindle, never, ever.

It isn't bricked, it has failed components.
You probably have only a spare screen.
Advert
Old 02-01-2018, 09:24 AM   #111
KinkyBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That should never happen with a Kindle, never, ever.

It isn't bricked, it has failed components.
You probably have only a spare screen.
is there any possibility to diagnose it?
Old 02-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #112
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
is there any possibility to diagnose it?
Plug it into a wall charger and wait to see which part catches fire first, the motherboard or the battery.

If it is under warranty still, send it back for exchange (before you do the above smoke test).
Old 05-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #113
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Hello
Does factory resetting a kindle erase all your personal info? I'd like to trade in a kindle but don't want any trace of what was on it, etc?

Searched around and only saw a stack exchange post about it that involved using scripts (above my level of proficiency)
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #114
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It will "delete" personal info & user content, yes. As the thread you mentioned probably explains, that by no means assure you that the data is actually gone. It's in fact probably going to be very easy to recover.

TL;DR: The care you take into deleting stuff depends entirely on the importance you give to that kind of things.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #115
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Hello
Does factory resetting a kindle erase all your personal info? I'd like to trade in a kindle but don't want any trace of what was on it, etc?

Searched around and only saw a stack exchange post about it that involved using scripts (above my level of proficiency)
Delete != Gone

Visible user store over USB is FAT32.
There have been un-delete programs for FAT32 for as long as it has existed.
(Where did you think we got our copies of "factory usage only" system image packages (before Lab126 wised up)? )

The non-visible user store is ext3.
It has been around a long time and deleted file recovery tools exist for it also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It will "delete" personal info & user content, yes. As the thread you mentioned probably explains, that by no means assure you that the data is actually gone. It's in fact probably going to be very easy to recover.

TL;DR: The care you take into deleting stuff depends entirely on the importance you give to that kind of things.
Somewhere around here I posted a tool (which will run on the Kindle) that will do a "secure erase" of your files.
(It is in the archive of tools and scripts for copying a file with read-back verification -- used by people who suspect their Kindle storage is flaky.)
Secure Erase == Gone.

But you claim that would be too advanced for your own use.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:04 PM   #116
holytoledo
holytoledo began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 1st Gen, Paperwhite 3
Hello. I have a question that perhaps someone can point me to. I have a paperwhite 3 that the touch failed randomly. I do not know the serial but know it is a wifi only model.

The digitizer has stopped responding entirely. I tried doing the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file in main directory trick thinking it would work, but it did not and the touch is still failing. Now I am stuck in the main loading screen (language selection) without the ability to bypass.

My pondering is, would I be able to bypass the set up through Android SDK ADB? And I know it has a USB OTG port but never bothered using it, would a mouse work? I would need to buy/make a USB OTG cable, but if I can get a mouse to work it would be good. I can click to use and even buy some sort of mini-mouse. It has no physical defect of any kind. Wifi and display work perfectly. Same with backlight. For some reason touch does not work though.

If anyone can help with some guidance it would be very helpful. I should have left it as setup. But once I read the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE trick I had to try it.

I did not find very much regarding the PW3 in the main page of this thread. Has there been any development? Maybe I just don't know the terminology well.

Thanks for your time!
holytoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #117
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by holytoledo View Post
Hello. I have a question that perhaps someone can point me to. I have a paperwhite 3 that the touch failed randomly. I do not know the serial but know it is a wifi only model.

The digitizer has stopped responding entirely. I tried doing the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file in main directory trick thinking it would work, but it did not and the touch is still failing. Now I am stuck in the main loading screen (language selection) without the ability to bypass.

My pondering is, would I be able to bypass the set up through Android SDK ADB? And I know it has a USB OTG port but never bothered using it, would a mouse work? I would need to buy/make a USB OTG cable, but if I can get a mouse to work it would be good. I can click to use and even buy some sort of mini-mouse. It has no physical defect of any kind. Wifi and display work perfectly. Same with backlight. For some reason touch does not work though.

If anyone can help with some guidance it would be very helpful. I should have left it as setup. But once I read the DO_FACTORY_RESTORE trick I had to try it.

I did not find very much regarding the PW3 in the main page of this thread. Has there been any development? Maybe I just don't know the terminology well.

Thanks for your time!

1. Only the KT3 is known to have ADB in some version
2. The PW3 is known to support USB OTG, but only after you install certain drivers after jailbreaking. If your screen is dead, thats hard :-)

It is possible to install the USB support for mouse and keyboard on your kindle stilll - but it requires you to open the PW3 and solder to the serail port, and then install the USB support code over that connection.

If you are read/willing/able to do that, let us know, and we can get you the instructions you need but here are the cliff notes.

A) Connect to serial port inside kindle
B) Install USB OTG drivers
C) Install usb/mouse code in the x-windows config file
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #118
vuwgzsuy
vuwgzsuy began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
So if I understood the several links about jailbreaking Kindle Paperwhite, I can't do it (without physical intervention) when my Paperwhite has FW Version 5.8.11?
vuwgzsuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #119
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@vuwgzsuy: Yup, 11 > 7 (I love doing this, I'm sorry ).

Sidebar: you don't have a PW, you have a PW2 or a PW3, the PW is EOL'd at FW 5.6.1.1 (c.f. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:25 AM   #120
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
@vuwgzsuy: look at this
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...90#post3693490
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...18#post3697418
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...21#post3708321
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks, index, tutorials, wiki