Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #46
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
On the index wikis, links to other wiki pages are different from links to the forum. The are of the form:

[[Wiki_Topic|optional clickable description]] : optional non-clickable text

There should never be a URL containing "wiki.mobileread.com" in it. I recently fixed one (but it took me multiple attempts to get the extra description added to it so it looked good. The colon ":" helps...
Examples of that are hard to find at the moment for our new user.
But those will be the only type in the GM Master Index (if A.T. agrees to code this for us).

I will not waste the reader's time with how long it took me to find a way to put a blank line into an indented text box, rather than have two boxs.

Another thought:
Every Wiki page has a "Discussion" page behind it. That could be used for some more: How/When/What/Where/Why verbiage.

But who ever RTFM? The examples already in front of someone after they click 'edit' should do the job of explanation.

And since you can edit a (sub-)section at a time, the more detailed the index, the easier it is to edit.

Hint: Adding a new (sub-)section to a page ::
Just bring up the preceding (sub-)section, put the new entry at the bottom, save. Now you have the new (empty) (sub-)section edit entry point.

Last edited by knc1; 06-13-2012 at 05:09 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:58 AM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Master index prototype

A prototype of one possible "Master Index" page here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Prefix_Index

Not (yet) including the "Most Significant Threads" section of this thread's starter post.
(I used up my keyboarding allowance last night.)
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #48
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
A prototype of one possible "Master Index" page here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Prefix_Index

Not (yet) including the "Most Significant Threads" section of this thread's starter post.
(I used up my keyboarding allowance last night.)
I added it to the first post in this thread. Not sure how this will evolve yet.

The reason I added the "Most significant threads" section was mainly to include the other stickies, so they do not have to REMAIN as stickies taking up screen space. Then I added a couple of others I thought important.

It will be interesting to see what this grows into. Whatever it becomes, it should be a LOT more helpful than the search results have been (especially for beginners). It should help reduce the number of times we have to keep answering the same questions, which is WHY we started this.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2012 at 01:27 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 AM   #49
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I added it to the first post in this thread. Not sure how this will evolve yet.
I suspect A.T. is investigating how many megabytes of php code he would have to re-write to make this feature work.
That code review will probably take awhile.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #50
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I suspect A.T. is investigating how many megabytes of php code he would have to re-write to make this feature work.
That code review will probably take awhile.
The more custom code added, the harder it will be to find a replacement forum software package...
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #51
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what this grows into. Whatever it becomes, it should be a LOT more helpful than the search results have been (especially for beginners). It should help reduce the number of times we have to keep answering the same questions, which is WHY we started this.
Google is picking up the "plain text" string of each entry and indexing it.
Part of the reason for all the repetitive string content, we are using the click-able for indexing, Google is using the non-click-able for indexing.

That will have interesting results.

@GM: I didn't know of a top-right graphic for that page - can you add one?

Oops
@GM: Should there be a "return to master index page" link in that top nav-bar on every page?

Last edited by knc1; 06-14-2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #52
geekmaster

Quote:
Google is picking up the "plain text" string of each entry and indexing it.
Part of the reason for all the repetitive string content, we are using the click-able for indexing, Google is using the non-click-able for indexing.

That will have interesting results.

@GM: I didn't know of a top-right graphic for that page - can you add one?

Oops
@GM: Should there be a "return to master index page" link in that top nav-bar on every page?
Perhaps a picture of an index card?

I have been thinking about changing the "Forum" link to go to the master index instead of the Dev Corner forum. We do not want that "Menu" to get too long for a kindle webkit browser.

This is interesting: https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/hub/wiki/InterMapTxt

And this: https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/hub/wiki/TitleIndex

And this: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Special:ActiveUsers

EDIT: I added an image from the MR wiki gallery. Somebody (not me) uploaded it awhile ago. As long as they do not replace it with a revised version, we are safe (or we can upload our own "better" image).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #53
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thread Starter; Section: Notes; Second paragraph: All completed.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #54
geekmaster

Quote:
Thread Starter; Section: Notes; Second paragraph: All completed.
What "Thread Starter"? Where is "Notes"?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #55
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
What "Thread Starter"? Where is "Notes"?

The tread starter of this thread, the "notes" section is still where you wrote it.
PS:
Good Morning.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #56
geekmaster

Quote:

The tread starter of this thread, the "notes" section is still where you wrote it.
PS:
Good Morning.
Hmmm... Good morning was two days ago. I am working another multi-day stretch... These "light-emitting" displays are eye killers. Extra context essential for understanding. Brevity subject to misunderstanding.

EDIT: First post "Notes" updated.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-14-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hmmm... Good morning was two days ago. I am working another multi-day stretch... These "light-emitting" displays are eye killers. Extra context essential for understanding. Brevity subject to misunderstanding.

EDIT: First post "Notes" updated.
IF the prefix tags become click-able, the user will land in a sub-section of the prefix, master index.

I "discovered" the "return to TOC" wiki notation, I need to add that to the bottom of each sub-section before those sub-sections grow to more than screen high.

The user landing on the master index or one of the prefix index pages from a google search will just have to use the TOC of that page and/or the top nav-bar.

So that user will be needing the "return to TOC" entries also.

That will have to wait until the next sleepless night unless someone else beats me to it.
Hey, come on you 156,000-5 people!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #58
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hey, come on you 156,000-5 people!
Anybody want to join a contest for the largest number of useful posts indexed in a week/month/year by a single contestant?

Grand Prize: Unrestricted viewing rights to the content index system for ... (a long time).
Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #59
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Anybody want to join a contest for the largest number of useful posts indexed in a week/month/year by a single contestant?

Grand Prize: Unrestricted viewing rights to the content index system for ... (a long time).
I just added the "Comprehensive List of Kindle Hacks/Modifications" using search&replace to modify it from html to wiki format. Feel free to move, edit, ...etc
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #60
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
I just added the "Comprehensive List of Kindle Hacks/Modifications" using search&replace to modify it from html to wiki format. Feel free to move, edit, ...etc
Thanks for the significant addition to the index effort. Karma bump.

Tags
hacks, index, tutorials, wiki