Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Come on people. At least index your own threads. Please?

If anybody has time, you can copy thread URLs to the appropriate indexes, from the threads in the indexes that have a "(to be indexed)" comment...

I put a lot of time into them just to get them started. Please continue.

I think this Master Index and the index wiki pages will add a lot to the forum as it grows and gets better organized. It will a lot easier to find "oldie but goodie" threads that are not in the first few pages of recent forum threads, and not easy to find with the search tools.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-09-2012 at 07:00 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #17
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Come on people. At least index your own threads. Please?
Are we supposed to add all threads into these lists?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #18
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Are we supposed to add all threads into these lists?
You can edit the wiki pages that the first post links to. For each of your threads that you want indexed, add a link to that thread (also particularly useful individual posts inside long threads), to each index wiki page for a category that fits it. For example, a WAF app that works on on the K5 can go into the WAF index and the K5 index.

Also, if somebody has time, the indexes contain some links that say "(to be indexed)", which need links copied from the linked pages into whichever index pages they fit into.

TIA for helping!

EDIT: Why did you remove the "Duokan 2012 / Duokan Lite" link from the K4 Index? The only kindle not yet supported is the K5.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-10-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
[tools] Wiki

The "tools" wiki index page now has section headings.

Their use should be obvious, if not, make them obvious.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Thanks! As these lists grow, subcategories with section headings will become much more important. "Somebody" can use that same method to reorganize the other Indexes too.

EDIT: Weird... I just gave you the maximum karma that I can, and it bumped you to EXACTLY 12000. That was just an interesting coincidence this time, but sometimes I do try to give enough for a nice "round number".

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-10-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
EDIT: Why did you remove the "Duokan 2012 / Duokan Lite" link from the K4 Index? The only kindle not yet supported is the K5.
Actually K5 is also supported (only in Chinese for now) I thought that a thread could be added to only one of the lists. Fixed now.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! As these lists grow, subcategories with section headings will become much more important. "Somebody" can use that same method to reorganize the other Indexes too.

EDIT: Weird... I just gave you the maximum karma that I can, and it bumped you to EXACTLY 12000. That was just an interesting coincidence this time, but sometimes I do try to give enough for a nice "round number".
Just looking out for my own interests.

Since our "Linux for Newbies" forum is still somewhere off in the future...

And I had a general info post about adding applications that include new dynamic libraries...
And there wasn't a place to index it...

Also, any "HowTo" drop down on the main menu bar is "off in the future"...

So I made places (sections) for those things.
I did not review the already indexed items and cut&paste them into appropriate sections - I am hoping that anyone who notices one mis-placed, they will move it.

Edit: - I just moved one of yours into "how to" - it was looking lonely down at the bottom of the index page.

Last edited by knc1; 06-10-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Stuck a big stick into the "Tools" index and stirred it up a bit more.
@GM: I didn't reformat your entries - thought it would be better if I left that up to yourself.

Entries now have one (or two) "info tags" along with the off-site acknowledgements.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #24
geekmaster

I changed how the links worked after DaleDe (the wiki moderator) made some changes and suggested that I do it his (wiki standard) way. Your number links, with only the numbers clickable, will not work for links to wiki pages without violating that standard. Why not just make the text clickable instead, like a typical web page URL? This is primarily an Index, not list of references at the bottom of an informational web page like a wikipedia page.

FYI: DaleDe's wiki standard had only the "- domain" part of offsite links not clickable, and I think it is important to keep the site mod happy...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-11-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I changed how the links worked after DaleDe (the wiki moderator) made some changes and suggested that I do it his (wiki standard) way. Your number links, with only the numbers clickable, will not work for links to wiki pages without violating that standard. Why not just make the text clickable instead, like a typical web page URL? This is primarily an Index, not list of references at the bottom of an informational web page like a wikipedia page.

FYI: DaleDe's wiki standard had only the "- domain" part of offsite links not clickable, and I think it is important to keep the site mod happy...
I did not see that in the Wiki Policy Manual;
In fact, I didn't even see a WPM.

Its no big deal, just the position of a single character within the string;
I'll put them back to ugly colored links.

Edit:
If it was my site, I would do: short-title-clickable long-title (info-tag) - credit-tag
But it isn't my site and I don't feel up to fighting with CityHall, I too have better things todo.

Last edited by knc1; 06-11-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
geekmaster

Quote:
I did not see that in the Wiki Policy Manual;
In fact, I didn't even see a WPM.

Its no big deal, just the position of a single character within the string;
I'll put them back to ugly colored links.

Edit:
If it was my site, I would do: short-title-clickable long-title (info-tag) - credit-tag
But it isn't my site and I don't feel up to fighting with CityHall, I too have better things todo.
I use really small text on high DPI screens so more to click is a good thing. In fact, I have been annoyed by my own first post here, where K2 and K3 (etc.) only have a few clickable characters, and I have thought about changing that. It would be nice if clickable links could be different colors, so I am not just stuck with black links where I want colored clickable text...

Not "city hall", but I was following the lead the wiki moderator DaleDe as you can see in the wiki history (and as I can see in a PM from him).
Old 06-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Not "city hall", but I was following the lead the wiki moderator DaleDe as you can see in the wiki history (and as I can see in a PM from him).
Tools index page now has (approved) style guide lines.

The guide lines also serve as a decoding key for the casual reader.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #28
geekmaster

Quote:
Tools index page now has (approved) style guide lines.

The guide lines also serve as a decoding key for the casual reader.
Awesome! Thanks for "adopting" the Tools Index. Now we need people to support the other Indexes too. There is too much to index for just a few people... TIA.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for "adopting" the Tools Index. Now we need people to support the other Indexes too. There is too much to index for just a few people... TIA.
I am spending 18 hours/day finding and uploading development resources.
Which is a waste of time unless I index them.

If someone wants to get busy, they can copy the "style guidelines" to the other index page introductions. (Watch out for that 'looks like a blank line' - it has a single space formatting character.)

Last edited by knc1; 06-12-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #30
geekmaster

Any suggestions how to format the first post (master index) in this thread?

Tags
hacks, index, tutorials, wiki