Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Grab the ZIP from the page, unpack most of its contents to a folder "test" (another one would work, too, but that matches the launchpad scripts) on your Kindle's document partition, except for the contents of the folder "launchpad" which go into the existing launchpad folder (that step would require you installed launchpad beforehand). Reload launchpad config, then you could run it with Shift-P-D (for the file browser mode).

Note that it is still more or less a preview of things to come. I publish it to inspire people to play with it - and that would also mean to change its code.

hi

i put /test folder on kindle root
run shift pd, see my pdf on fileviewer but how to select file?

also tried running reader. lua /path/to/pdf and it starts pdf but then falls back onto terminal screen, i can see pdf in background, how do i see pdf? (i am using myts terminal app)

cheers

edit
ah doh, it is run from the kindle ui, i can see my file from there and it runs ahah!
look forward to future work on this!
cheers!

Last edited by avidworm; 12-15-2011 at 10:01 AM.
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
thanks for the pdf viewer hawhill. I have some observations and a wish list. Hope they will be helpful.

Bug reports:

When there is more than one page in the file browser there is no way to go to the next page. When i press next page button it only goes down to the last item on the page

When you hold up in joystick it only goes up for one item. It should go all the way to the top as long as i hold it. The same is for the down button too of course.

Wish list:

Manual or automatic (or better both) margin crop option,
2 column pdf viewer
Some kind of pdf reflow (like smart layout in duokan) with universal character support
Integration with cool reader (but it is still great as a stand-alone version)
The ability to choose refresh every page or every 6 page. I am happy with the 6 page refresh now but a lot of people choose refreshing in every page turn.
Ability to choose gamma level is working great as it is now. But there might be a option to see the current level of gamma.

hope you will work on it more and bring better pdf support to kindle users. Thanks again for your work.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #18
MW1611
MW1611 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
I'm sorry, complete newbie here. I installed launchpad and your PDF viewer. I'm able to open the file chooser (Shift+P+D). But how do I chose the file I want to open? It doesn't react to any buttons on my keyboard except for the "enter", which takes me back one position in the file structure...

Anyway,...thank you for you effort. I love my new e-reader, my only wish is alternative PDF and web browser
MW1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
avidworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1611 View Post
I'm sorry, complete newbie here. I installed launchpad and your PDF viewer. I'm able to open the file chooser (Shift+P+D). But how do I chose the file I want to open? It doesn't react to any buttons on my keyboard except for the "enter", which takes me back one position in the file structure...

Anyway,...thank you for you effort. I love my new e-reader, my only wish is alternative PDF and web browser
hehe i had that misunderstanding as well, just look on your kindle using normal kindle ui you should see your pdf listed
Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #20
MW1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by avidworm View Post
hehe i had that misunderstanding as well, just look on your kindle using normal kindle ui you should see your pdf listed
Well I do see my PDF files, which are in the Documents folder, but how do I open them with muPDF reader instead of the stock one?
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #21
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think I know what's going on. There _is_ the possibility to open a PDF that is actually opened with the Kindle viewer with the muPDF viewer: it works by pressing Shift-P-P. The file browser (Shift-P-D) however uses the direction pad - and is preconfigured for the kindle DX. It has different key codes so a K3 wouldn't work out of the box. However, it should work when you adapt the kpdf.sh script in the launchpad folder a bit to call
Code:
./reader.lua -d k3 "$pdf"
(so add "-d k3" to that line)

I'll add an automatic switch for the device types in the next version I'll release. I hope to have some spare time on the weekend to work on it. Thank you all for the feedback. It's far from being ready, but anyone who wants can play with it. And of course, I'll happily accept pull requests on github :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
MW1611

Thank you very much for your help, "-d k3" really did the trick But...going from page to page is much slower then with the stock browser in my case. Is that normal? I know it's very new project, but I felt that one of the great thing should be it's speed?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #23
avidworm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW1611 View Post
Well I do see my PDF files, which are in the Documents folder, but how do I open them with muPDF reader instead of the stock one?
doh forgot that kindle had its own pdf reader!

so how do you zoom with muPDF?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #24
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
This looks interesting, especially the zoom idea. I will be giving this a go on my K3.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #25
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
This is not ready yet for general consumption. I'll continue to work on it on the weekend, I think, and will probably write a bit documentation on how to use it. So if you aren't a developer, there won't be much joy in using it at this point, I'm afraid.

At its current state, you can toggle gamma setting with the volume keys, "A" is fit-to-content, "S" is fit-to-width, "D" is fit-to-height. If you press them while holding Shift, they use the page's content dimensions instead of the page's specified bounding box. That might in the best case give a fit-to-content view. By holding Shift (or Alt) and pressing PageUp/PageDown, you can zoom arbitrarily.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:34 AM   #26
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Ah, I will wait to install it then. Thanks!

Very clever work hawhill. I can't wait to see where you go with this and other projects. I hope there are other things you need on your kindle.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:18 AM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
FYI: The K4 and Touch use the framebuffer differently, allowing fewer assumptions such as 4 bpp. K4 and Touch are both 8 bpp. Also the Touch has an extra 8 bytes of padding after each line, and the Touch framebuffer contains more than twice as many "virtual" lines as screen lines.

The biggest problem with the touch is that it does not respond to ioctl calls to trigger display updates, and the /proc/ interface has been removed (or renamed). I do not yet know how to programmatically trigger a display update on the Touch.

These changes will affect existing kindle hacks.

More info here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161419

UPDATE:
I have been doing eink framebuffer updates with eips '' (two single quotes) in scripts, or I enclose that in a system() call in C programs, until I figure out a better way (such as an ioctl() call that I can get working reliably). You can see examples in my touchpaint and ddplot scripts published in other threads.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-10-2012 at 02:01 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #28
Tanga
Zealot

How's this coming along? Going well?
Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
humandroid
Connoisseur
humandroid began at the beginning.

Thank you for working on this hawhill.
Duokan style cropping would be great.
I will try running it on my DXG.

Last edited by humandroid; 01-06-2012 at 10:20 AM.
humandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #30
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post
How's this coming along? Going well?
It seems that @hawhill is somewhat busy, but I did give it a run on my Kindle 3 and tweaked several things.

Full changelog is at https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/pull/10

I also created zip package which can be copied into launchpad's /mnt/us/customupdates and installed using shift+shift+I

You can find it at: http://blog.rot13.org/kpdfview/
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote