Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #31
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
The only problem is a screensaver. kofeine doesn't work on Kindle2 and DX.
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #32
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Can you make so, that your app emulates pushing SYM button every 7 minutes or so? Kindle has 10 minutes timeout.
Advert
Old 10-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #33
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hi, glad to hear it worked out. That "button pressing" thing is something I would really want in an extra application, it's quite a different thing compared to what kindlevncviewer does.

However, I don't have that much time to spare in the next few days. But I'll add that to my TODOs...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #34
blackmost
blackmost began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Hi,

I really love the fancy tool. It save my eyes from being burn by the shinning LCD. Could anyone write a detailed instruction on how to set up a virtual screen on the Window system (inc. XP), and how to make the RealVNC work with it? My PC LCD has a resolution different from the kindle. If a virtual screen could be set up, then you can draw what you want to display on the kindle to the virtual screen, and that would be much cool.

In fact, I have two physical monitors connected to one pc. Could I select which one to display in the Kindle? Currently, only the main monitor can be transfered to the kindle.

As to the mouse problem asked by hawhill, in Windows system (I use XP), my kindle DXG displays the mouse only for a very short time. Then it disappears. If you move the mouse dramatically, it occurs again, then disappears. And all the same time after I start up the kindle vnc viewer, the mouse shakes violently in the PC screen. That it.

Thanks.

Last edited by blackmost; 10-30-2011 at 05:02 AM.
blackmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #35
Rockets00
Connoisseur

I solved a problem with standby, just use prevent_ss.
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #36
space4
space4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Note that the default config of the viewer expects the display at TCP port 5901, which is "display #1" in VNC config lingo. Most VNC servers will come preconfigured for display #0, though.
Does anyone has any luck with the Mac OS X built-in VNC server (aka Screen Sharing)?

I got some error msg when trying to start the vncviewer:
Code:
[root@kindle kindlevncviewer]# ./kvncviewer.sh 192.168.2.1:0
18/12/2011 01:02:31 VNC server supports protocol version 3.889 (viewer 3.8)
18/12/2011 01:02:31 We have 2 security types to read
18/12/2011 01:02:31 0) Received security type 30
18/12/2011 01:02:31 Selecting security type 30 (0/2 in the list)
18/12/2011 01:02:31 1) Received security type 35
18/12/2011 01:02:31 Selected Security Scheme 30
18/12/2011 01:02:31 GCrypt support was not compiled in
Mac VNC server uses port 5900, so I changed the command line to use :0 instead of :1. Is this a correct use, or is there a way to specify which port to use for the VNC server (on Mac)? Or should I try to find some other VNC server instead? Any help appreciated.
space4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #37
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's expecting a password. Maybe it only supports harder encryption, in that case I (although you could do it yourself if you have the experience) would have to compile a version including that support. I'm not going to have spare time for that until after christmas, I'm afraid.

Maybe specifying a passwort is enough? Then just add "-password YOURPASSWORD" to the command line, like this:
Code:
./kvncviewer.sh -password YOURPASSWORD 192.168.2.1:0
Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #38
Drift3r
Drift3r began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard 3g
Thumbs up

Hi!
this all sounds very cool!

I use to tune my ubuntu server 10.10 at its place, when network falls down, and this became not so safe for my wife because the big monitor has to be put on a shelf..

Using control fron kindle (via usb) can be a great assistance, if keyboard works as well (better in portrait mode). I'll try this!
Drift3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #39
space4
space4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the roughspace4 is a jewel in the rough

Supplying a -password option doesn't work also. Somewhere in the source README file mentioned that the LibVNCclient was built using --without-gcrypt --without-client-gcrypt option. Probably the libvncclient needs to be rebuilt. But unfortunately, setting up a cross-compiler on Mac is not that easy, and I don't know anything on vnc.

I tried using the vnc kindlet, it works, but it's dropping the connection every 30 sec on my DXG, and the refresh is slow.

Anyway, thanks for making this program. I like this idea of using a VNC client to act as an eink monitor!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #40
hawhill
Wizard

It'll still take a bit time till I get to re-compile, sorry. But as an aside note: You'll have those connection drops with this VNC client as well. They'll be instantly recovered by reconnecting automatically, but they'll still be there and will each create a new connection. I found that my DXG drops very much all but the SSH connection, so I resorted to use port-proxying VNC via the SSH connection. Some kind of stupid, but hey: it works :-)
Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #41
space4

Would you mind sharing the steps of setting up a port-proxying VNC ssh connection?
Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #42
space4

After using another vnc server - Vine Server on Mac, your vnc viewer works perfectly now! The refresh response is much faster than the kindlet version! I love it!

Thank you very much for giving out such a great program! It helps saving my eyes!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #43
fluminense
fluminense began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hi everybody,

This is my first post on this forum.

First of all, hawhill, huge thanks for developing/sharing this great tool!
Its very useful, specially for those who spend lots of time reading directly from the computer screen.

I've tested it under windows 7 64 and macos 10.7.
Windows: Real VNC - user mode (thanks to Rockets00 for the tip to disable the service) (shows mouse cursor), Protocol RFB 3.3 (thanks to PoP for the tip)
Mac: Vine vnc Version 4.0Beta (1109201627), (doesnt shows mouse cursor)

So far, its perfect but for a little issue.
After some time - usually less than a minute- it gets disconnected (both under windows and mac). Most times, just entering 'shift U V' makes it work again.

I've tested mostly under mac, so:

Protocol: RFB 3.3 and 3.8 (both works, and both get disconnected after a while)
Vine log (after disabling 'restart server if it stops unexpectedly') shows a line with rfbProcessClientNormalMessage: read: Connection reset by peer
One related topic says it might be related to the MTU payload:
http://kb.realvnc.com/questions/75/I...810054%29%22.+
Mine is set to 1500 (default).
I've also tried setting the RNDIS interface to half-duplex / 10

Rotated / unrotated doesn't improves...

I'm using version 0.35N of the usbnet, and 4/oct version of kindlevncviewer

I think it might be related to the kindle, somehow, trying to set a second connection to the server (indeed, one time it has shown two active connections from the kindle on 192.168.2.2).

Once again, congratulations, and thanks to everybody.
fluminense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
space4

On Vine Server, try setting the followings to ensure there is only 1 connection at a time.
Sharing tab:
Select "Allow only one VNC connection at a time"
Select "Keep existing viewer if a new viewer tries to connect"
Startup tab:
Select "Restart server if it stops unexpectedly"

Also, I selected "Disable remote control of keyboard and mouse" (for security reason).

For the RNDIS interface, the settings I've put in are:
Configure IPv4: Manually
IP Address: 192.168.2.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

No other settings are needed. No disconnect problem happens in my case, mine is OS X 10.6.8 though.

Or you can consider installing FW 3.x to avoid this dropping connection issue altogether. The refresh response is faster on FW 3.x.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 AM   #45
fluminense
fluminense began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Didn't work for me.
When the connection is gone, it doesn't reconnect.
I had overlooked your post and the hawhill previous answer on this issue.
Maybe the ssh encapsulation hawhill mentions might work for me...
Probably something related to the beta version of vine doesn't make the trick.
Right now I'm replying based on your post, frozen on the 'mirror' vnc kindle.
Somehow, this freeze thing can be useful, so when it is really working, I'll try a hotkey just to have this freeze thing (ie, disconnect).

Meanwhile, the most used shortkey is just to force reconnect...

I didn't know people were having success porting the FW 3.x to DXG.
But, after watching one guy complaining about usbnetwork not working on ported FW 3.2.1, I decided to wait a little more (at least until weekend).

Thanks again (obrigado).
fluminense is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc