Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #16
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
Check out tsinghoo's KindleVNC kindlet, which offers very fast refresh rate as well as mouse/keyboard input:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151984

http://wifi001.com/wifi/index.en.jsp
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
I found my problem. My network was public, so VNC server had no access to kindle.
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #18
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

My next problem: how to disable sleep mode?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #19
Rockets00
Connoisseur

Is it safe to run VNC server without a password? I can't make usbnetwork as home network, only public. So I enabled VNC server in firewall settings under public networks. Can anyone connect to me now? Is it possible to give VNC server only one IP? I have 2 now: 1 for kindle and 1 for WiFi network.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
Rockets00
Connoisseur

I found option: only accept connection from local machone. Will it protect my PC?
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Hi,

only accept from localhost wouldn't work, since the connection just isn't made from localhost.

Enabling passwords is easy. I'm planning a last update of this app and giving passwords via command line (i.e. via launchpad config) would be easy.

However, VNC passwords are *not* sufficiently secure. It's always better to tunnel through SSH or use stunnel or some VPN client.

But I do not understand the distinction you're making. In what sense shouldn't the usbNetwork be a "public network"? It's just a point-to-point link. I'd say that setting ACL on the VNC server for allowing only the Kindle's IP ought to be easy... But I might be missing something here.

For keeping the Kindle from going to sleep mode, I'd suggest to use fbdev's kaffeine: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=151207 - I'll probably prepare to use that in the next version of kindlevncviewer. For now, I'd suggest to add a call to kaffeine to the kvncviewer.sh script.

I'll check if the Kindlet approach from tsinghoo is a faster solution (I doubt that to some extent, but it might implement a different refresh model). At least it will always be a bit more comfortable to use, also UI elements are much easier to create. Depending on the outcome of the comparision, I'll decide if I add mouse/keyboard support to this app. However, personally I wouldn't want to use a closed source remote desktop app for things with harsh security demands, so I would love to see tsinghoo's source code. Although even if the source of the native app here is open and I still don't feel that an awful lot of people are using it, though...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
Rockets00
Connoisseur

I uploaded a video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdSRcZQoEJo
I am reading now my rss feeds on kindle 2.

Networks:
Under Windows 7 every network has a label "home" "work" or "public" - Every label has its own firewall rules. Connection between PC and kindle is seen as network under Win 7.

I have granted access to kindle's IP only under realVNC settings.

kaffeine is a new solution I've never seen. I will try it now.

Tsinghoo has line by line refresh model. So your VNC is faster.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #23
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I've not yet had a lot of contact with Win7, but it makes sense to some degree. Too bad you can't separate Kindle and LAN... I'll see that I provide a kindlevncviewer soon that allows passwords.

Regarding the kindlet VNC viewer: I see. Well, doing on-screen keyboard will probably a slight bit harder to do for me, but I'll add passwords, keyboard and mouse then.

Edit: OK, password authentification is done, see OP.

Last edited by hawhill; 10-04-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #24
fau
fau began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dxg/k3
hawhill, thanks for the program
works on debian, as server i use x11vnc
and yes, your VNC is faster
fau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #25
Rockets00
Connoisseur

I found one more problem on windows 7 side. If I install realVNC as a service, all connection will be rejected.

Thanks for your updated version, will try it asap. I am testing my Win 7 Pro with Kindle DX now.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #26
Rockets00
Connoisseur

I tried to use it with DX - Kindle was automatically restarted after about 20-30 minutes. I had to enable usnnetwork.

I waited 30 minutes and kindle was restarted one more time. This time much faster. Usbnetwork was already there after restart.

Last edited by Rockets00; 10-04-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #27
hawhill
Wizard

Rockets00: Hm, did you use it together with kaffeine?

And a question to those of you who tested it on Windows: Does it display the mouse cursor? Another user contacted me, and he can't see a mouse cursor. I though libvncclient should take care of this, but this doesn't seem to be the case. He's using TightVNC - from what I understood of the feedback so far, it should be fine on RealVNC?
Old 10-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #28
Rockets00
Connoisseur

Now my kindle DX is completely white. After 5 minutes I have restarted it myself.

Mouse: cursor is there with realVNC, but framerate is too low. I use keyboard shortcuts only.

Here is a new video with DX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQvQx2ep1o

I didn't find info how to install kaffeine. So I didn't use it.

Last edited by Rockets00; 10-10-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #29
Rockets00
Connoisseur

I just installed your latest version. Does it support password for usbNetwork as well? Or it is wifi only option? I can't run this version.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #30
Rockets00
Connoisseur

my mistake, I used a port 5900. 5901 works fine.

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc