Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Does the latest version work for you?
Yes 92 89.32%
No 11 10.68%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
the-equinoxe
Hardware Tweaker
the-equinoxe began at the beginning.

Device: K3-Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
yifanlu, I just confused with the following statement.
'-You need 1.2GB of free space on the Kindle 3.'
From what I understand: You need a K3 to rip the rootFS from.
On that K3 you need approx 0.6 GB for the FS itself and than the rest for the encrypting routine to make a Kindle readable update package.

Regards,

EqX
the-equinoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
yifanlu, I just confused with the following statement.

1. That means I need to have Kindle 3 and 2, right?

2. How to uninstall or undo this thing on Kindle 2 (including remove the backup recovery package)? Because I afraid that if I feel doesn't like software v3.1 for what ever reason, I can't revert back my K2 to the original state.

3. After the upgrade K2 to run v3.1 software, what will happen if Amazon release an update of K3 software?
1) You need a k3 because it is illegal for me to redistribute the files. If it were not, it would be as easy as me releasing a 300MB file. You can use a friends' k3 too because nothing on the k3 is permentally modified and no personal information is stored.
2) You "uninstall" by restoring from the backup packaged generated from the k2. Nothing is installed on the k3.
3) if amazon releases 3.1 update. If it is minor, it MAY work. If it is major or modifies one of the three files I modified, then it will fail. My goal is to have no files modified, then you can upgrade.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
I can't run update ('update_k2_2.5.8_prepare_kindle.bin') on my K2, the item 'Update Your Kindle' still disabled.

My K2 jailbroken, using NiLuJe's SS and Font Hack
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #19
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
yifanlu- I know you plainly stated it, but just to double confirm: this will only work with K2, US version, and will not work with DX/G?
Are you planning on a DXG version?
That would make some of us deliriously happy...
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bZkindle View Post
yifanlu- I know you plainly stated it, but just to double confirm: this will only work with K2, US version, and will not work with DX/G?
Are you planning on a DXG version?
That would make some of us deliriously happy...
I am planning to make it for every kindle K2, K2i, DX, DXi, DXG (as stated in the title). Right now, the first alpha version will be for kindle 2 only so I can work out bugs.

Quote:
I can't run update ('update_k2_2.5.8_prepare_kindle.bin') on my K2, the item 'Update Your Kindle' still disabled.

My K2 jailbroken, using NiLuJe's SS and Font Hack
What is your Kindle 2 version? (Including the long OTA number, you can find it in the settings page)

EDIT: I've updated the zip file in the post, download it again, it should work now.

Last edited by yifanlu; 04-10-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 AM   #21
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I using Kindle 2 International (B003), Kindle Software version 2.5.8 (555370010).

I can not run this update even with the updated 'update_k2_2.5.8_prepare_kindle.bin' file.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #22
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
I using Kindle 2 International (B003), Kindle Software version 2.5.8 (555370010).

I can not run this update even with the updated 'update_k2_2.5.8_prepare_kindle.bin' file.
I can make a package for k2 international, but it won't be tested. do you want that?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #23
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Now if this comes to fruition, it could be used to replace the AD-supported firmware of the newly announced kindle!!
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #24
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Now if this comes to fruition, it could be used to replace the AD-supported firmware of the newly announced kindle!!
I don't think so. this is for porting the 3.1 firmware to kindle 2/DX/G.
I'm sure someone will find a really simple way around that ad-supported crap in no time.
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #25
tekkasit
Groupie

Quote:
I can make a package for k2 international, but it won't be tested. do you want that?
I may waiting a little bit.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #26
luyt
luyt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
yifanlu, great job!
This hack surely will make many happy. Hope you could finish testing early.

BTW, when it is done, does it mean we can have some k3-specific functions, such as dictionary look-up, pdf darker, etc, on Kindle DX or even Kindle 2?

Thank you very much.
luyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #27
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by luyt View Post
yifanlu, great job!
This hack surely will make many happy. Hope you could finish testing early.

BTW, when it is done, does it mean we can have some k3-specific functions, such as dictionary look-up, pdf darker, etc, on Kindle DX or even Kindle 2?

Thank you very much.
Yup. Everything you can do on k3.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #28
luyt

I just got a DX and the 3.1 software would be really fantastic to me.

Knowing little of programming, i wondering as kindle dx does not have a wifi but a 3G module and my kindle 3, on the contrary, has only a wifi module, would the package tranplanted from Kindle 3 to DX work properly?

And could you please estimate when will a useable package for DX be released?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #29
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by luyt View Post
I just got a DX and the 3.1 software would be really fantastic to me.

Knowing little of programming, i wondering as kindle dx does not have a wifi but a 3G module and my kindle 3, on the contrary, has only a wifi module, would the package tranplanted from Kindle 3 to DX work properly?

And could you please estimate when will a useable package for DX be released?

Thanks.
The thing is, nobody is helping me test (or they're not telling me, I need to know If it works or not). So currently, I can't do much but wait. If anyone can send me a DX (broken or not), I can probelty get it working in a week or so. If someone helps me test by having a DX with recovery access, I could probelty get it working in a month or two.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #30
luyt

What a pity. I myself wish i could help but i know very little about both programming and linux.

I donot sure about the meaning of "having a DX with recovery access". Does it mean an access permission or a knowledge about how to recover DX when something unwanted happens.

I think many people would like to offer a hand if they know, I will try to tell people who are unsatisfied about current kindle version of their kindle dx.