Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 AM   #31
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
deleted

Last edited by WS64; 02-22-2011 at 03:46 PM.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #32
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
hi all

debating wether to update to 3.1; apart from page numbers any other benefits to updating firmware?

thanks
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #33
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
3) If you want to uninstall the jailbreak or any hacks on 3.1, first install this jailbreak, make sure it's set to "HACK_UPDATES" and run any uninstaller you want. Make sure you uninstall the jailbreak LAST, as you cannot run uninstallers after uninstalling the jailbreak.
Thanks Yifanlu. I am going to see if I can do this tonight, but just to clarify I think this is what I do

1 Install the 3.1 Jailbreak, set to HACK_UPDATES
2 Uninstall the Screen Saver hack
3 Uninstall the Original Hack
4 Uninstall the 3.1 Jailbreak

Does this give me back the original screen savers, and a vanilla K3 ?

I don't yet know how to uninstall a hack so I need to look at the instructions for that first. But if I am way off what needs to be done, and in what order could someone let me know please. Thank you

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-22-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #34
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
>1 Install the 3.1 Jailbreak, set to HACK_UPDATES
>2 Uninstall the Screen Saver hack
>3 Uninstall the Original Hack
>4 Uninstall the 3.1 Jailbreak
>Does this give me back the original screen savers, and a vanilla K3 ?

If you would like to get back "original Kindle 3" without any hacks, why do you install 3.1 Jailbreak? Uninstall earlier screensaver hack and earlier Jailbreak are not required new Jailbreak, simple their unistall scripts.
Do I misinterpreted something?
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #35
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I installed 3.1 by mistake. On 3.1 you can't run any uninstallers so anyone who has already hacked their Kindle (like me) cannot remove the hacks.

My Kindle works perfectly well on 3.1, with the original jailbreak and the screensaver hack, I am just concerned about the effect of any future upgrades to the software, and also the warrenty aspect as my Kindle has been a bit flaky lately. I dare not report it in case Amazon want to replace my Kindle.

I am worried that whatever I decide to do will be wrong. If I try to follow the instructions and get the hacks off my Kindle then I may bugger up my Kindle, and if I do nothing my Kindle may go wrong in the future. I just don't know what to do for the best right now

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-22-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #36
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Josieb1, I think the process you've described should get you back to a vanilla 3.1 Kindle.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #37
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Josieb1, I think the process you've described should get you back to a vanilla 3.1 Kindle.

-HM
Thank you
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #38
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Just uninstalled my SS hack from 3.0.3, uninstalled the old jailbreak, ran the Amazon update, ran the new jailbreak, ran the SS hack. Everything seems fine.

Great job.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #39
BBBAbuser
BBBAbuser began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Smile update to 3.1 with hacks installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
Yeah, I guess that's the safest route to go. I was just wondering if I could cut some corners and speed it up a bit.

Will just be so many reboots and then getting everything back to normal... me = lazy...
As lazy as I am, I decided to try to cut some corners ....

. I had 3.0.3 and had NiLuJe's latest Jailbreak, ScreenSaver and Font hacks installed, which all worked fine (thanks NiLuJe).

. Installed Yifanlu's Jailbreak 1 (the one with switches)

. Un-installed NiLuJe's Jailbreak

. Substituted HACK_UPDATES by AMAZON_UPDATES in Jailbreak folder, re-start

. and, finally, Install 3.1

voila! all works fine... (big thank to Yifanlu !!!)

Last edited by BBBAbuser; 02-22-2011 at 12:05 PM.
BBBAbuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM   #40
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Yes, you are. The old jailbreak is no obstacle, it has zero effect (positive or negative) on 3.1.
The hacks don't do anything with the keys, so it's safe to install yifanlu's new jailbreak.
There's one exception though: The 'Updates Provider' hack. You have to uninstall it before installing the jailbreak (use version 0.2 uninstaller).
I am in the same situation of having 3.1 on Kindle and NiLe's old jailbreak and hacks so I want to make sure I have the order of things:

1. Use version 0.2 uninstaller from the link provided above.
2. Once this is done, use yi's 3.1 jailbreak
3. Complete

Do I have to re-add NiLe's screensaver hacks after this? Thanks!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #41
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBAbuser View Post
As lazy as I am, I decided to try to cut some corners ....

. I had 3.0.3 and had NiLuJe's latest Jailbreak, ScreenSaver and Font hacks installed, which all worked fine (thanks NiLuJe).

. Installed Yifanlu's Jailbreak 1 (the one with switches)

. Un-installed NiLuJe's Jailbreak

. Substituted HACK_UPDATES by AMAZON_UPDATES in Jailbreak folder, re-start

. and, finally, Install 3.1

voila! all works fine... (big thank to Yifanlu !!!)

thanks!

note: when you restart after uninstalling NiLuJe's Jailbreak you may get a blank screen, DONT PANIC - i thought i had bricked it but connect the usb cable you can still access the jailbreak folder - change from HACK_UPDATES to AMAZON_UPDATES and press the power switch a few times you should get a message saying something like collecting data please wait

and then kindle should restart normally then download and install 3.1

then once done

change from AMAZON_UPDATES back to HACK_UPDATES
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #42
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Okay so I had a go, it didn't work quite as I expected so I am not sure if I have done anything wrong. I also can't finish the process as I don't know what to do next.

This is what I did, in the order I did it.

1) Installed 3.1 Jailbreak, updated my Kindle and restarted, everything was as before, collections, books, screen savers etc, all as expected.

2) Installed the Screen Saver Uninstall file, (update_ss_0.18.N_k3gb_uninstall.bin), I placed this file in my root directory and updated my Kindle, I had to do this twice, as first time nothing changed, I still had my own screen savers and the linkss folder in my root directory. I then tried placing the uninstall file in both the Jailbreak folder, and the Screen Savers folder, but they wouldn't update my Kindle, so I placed the file in my root directory a second time, updated my Kindle, and this time the original screen savers replaced my own. The linkss folder was still in my root directory though.

3) Installed the original Jailbreak uninstalled file, (update_jailbreak_0.4.N_k3gb_uninstall.bin), updated my Kindle, again all my collections, books, showed, with an original screen saver.

But

I haven’t yet installed the 3.1 Jailbreak Uninstall file as the links folder is still showing, and within it are files which show the kindle has been hacked. I would like to go back to a Vanilla Kindle with no evidence of Hacking on it. I have a vanilla WIFI kindle and the only folders it has in it are

active-content-data
audible
documents
music

on my 3G Kindle I have the same folders, as well as the 3.1 Jailbreak folder, and the linkss folder.

Should these two folders disappear (along with all the files in them) during the Uninstall process, or do I delete them manually from the root directory once I have uninstalled the 3.1 Jailbreak?

Any guidance you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by Josieb1; 02-22-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #43
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Great news. I love this forum.

Last edited by billmilo; 02-22-2011 at 01:55 PM.
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #44
neostun
neostun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
this jailbreak allows Duokan 011_02_18 to be installed?
neostun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #45
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
It should do. If you set the jailbreak folder to HACK mode, you should be able to install Duokan with no probs. Give it a go!
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak kindle 3.1, yifanlu jailbreak