Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Lightbulb Kindle 3.1 Jailbreak

With 3.1 released just hours ago, I'll release the jailbreak I wrote (not knowingly) yesterday.

Update: New version without the need for switching update provider, download from link below. Please read readme file.

Thanks to NiLuJe for the bind keys method.

http://yifan.lu/p/kindle-jailbreak

Both the jailbreak(s) and the source can be found in the link above.

The jailbreak will allow you to install custom packages (hacks) such as the screensaver hack and the usbnetworking hack. It is tested and works on Kindle 3 on 3.1. It should work on all versions of all Kindles from 2.0 to 3.1. No "enable" file needed. No whitelist needed. Just install the jailbreak and you can install both amazon updates and custom hack packages.

If you are using a previous version of the jailbreak or dsmid's change-update-provider hack, it is safe to install this OVER it. Just remember to disable hack updates. (this will be the last time). The 0.4 install removes all previous versions of the update. However, it is recommended that you run the uninstaller.

If you are using NiLuJe 0.5 jailbreak. You do NOT need this, and the jailbreak WILL fail to install (for protective purposes). However, if you would like to switch, you need to uninstall his jailbreak first.

Comparison to NiLuJe's Jailbreak
There has been much confusion about which jailbreak to use. Here's some clarifications:
-Both achieve the same goal (allowing custom packages), you should not install both at the same time
-Both jailbreaks uses the same method of key swapping
-Both jailbreaks have the same stability and both are uninstallable
-Both are compatible with all versions from 2.X to 3.X, BUT NiLuJe uses different jailbreak methods for older versions while my jailbreak uses the same method.
-NiLuJe's jailbreak implements a whitelist with a hack list that needs to be updated with new hacks.
-My jailbreak is completely transparent (no additional files), but installation of hacks will be 5-15 seconds slower.

Changelog
0.4: No longer needs ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES file, uses bind mounting, thanks to NiLuJe.
0.3: Uses one file on USB root. If "ENABLE_HACK_UPDATES" exists, use hack keys. If not, use amazon keys. Also uninstalls update-service-provider if installed to prevent conflicts.
0.2: Unofficial test. Modifies updater binary to accept all signatures. Not recommended. Deprecated.
0.1: Initial jailbreak, beta. Used "jailbreak" folder with files to determine what update provider to use.

If you want to know how the "jailbreak" works, you can see the source or read the writeup I wrote here: http://yifan.lu/2011/02/21/kindle-3-1-jailbreak/

Oh, and thanks to lyric (and others) for beta testing.

Last edited by yifanlu; 04-01-2011 at 11:00 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Congrats...great job!

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: 2018 PW4
Ok I'm kinda lost on this, what bin file(for the main JB not the alt one) do I put on my kindle 3 wifi only?
renswic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
First - thanks for your work.

Let me ask for some more clarification, also.

I'm back to "native" 3.0.2 - no hacks.

Does your hack require the "old" jailbreak or is it free-standing?

If I install 3.1, can your hack be installed after 3.1 and then can the screensaver hack be installed (and does it need the jailbreak)?

Or should your hack be installed before 3.1? And if so, and then 3.1 is installed can the screensaver hack be installed? (jailbreak?)

And can your hack be UNinstalled under 3.1?

And as usual, sorry for all the questions but ....

Thanks.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renswic View Post
Ok I'm kinda lost on this, what bin file(for the main JB not the alt one) do I put on my kindle 3 wifi only?
If you aren't sure, use update_3.1-jailbreak-k3w-install.bin. Don't even open the zip within the zip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
First - thanks for your work.

Let me ask for some more clarification, also.

I'm back to "native" 3.0.2 - no hacks.

Does your hack require the "old" jailbreak or is it free-standing?

If I install 3.1, can your hack be installed after 3.1 and then can the screensaver hack be installed (and does it need the jailbreak)?

Or should your hack be installed before 3.1? And if so, and then 3.1 is installed can the screensaver hack be installed? (jailbreak?)

And can your hack be UNinstalled under 3.1?

And as usual, sorry for all the questions but ....

Thanks.
This is a brand new jailbreak, so you can install/uninstall it anytime. Just remember to set the update provider to hacks before uninstaling.
And yes, you need to jailbreak before installing hacks. Just read any of the guides about hacks, but use this jailbreak instead of the 3.0.3 one as it was patched.
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #6
renswic
Enthusiast
renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.renswic is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: 2018 PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
If you aren't sure, use update_3.1-jailbreak-k3w-install.bin. Don't even open the zip within the zip.
Kk, I was thinking that on, in my mind it read as Kindle 3 wifi, but was not sure.

It updated ok. plugging it back into my laptop atm.

And yes the jailbreak file is there with the hack_updates there and a handy readme on how to switch to the amazon updates.

Very nice man, many thanks.
renswic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
This is a brand new jailbreak, so you can install/uninstall it anytime. Just remember to set the update provider to hacks before uninstaling.
By this, you mean ensure a file named "HACK_UPDATES" is in the jailbreak folder before running the uninstall binary?

Thanks!

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
By this, you mean ensure a file named "HACK_UPDATES" is in the jailbreak folder before running the uninstall binary?

Thanks!

-HM
Yes, and as always, you need to restart after changing update providers.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #9
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
This thingie also jailbreaks 3.0.2 firmware - I've just tested that.
Let's call it the ultimate jailbreak.
Good work, yifanlu.

Could you edit the first post to state this jailbreak is not 3.1 specific ?

Last edited by dsmid; 02-22-2011 at 02:13 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
minhhale
minhhale began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Not working for me.

I installed Yifan Lu's jailbreak, successful.

Then I applied NiLuJe's 0.4.N jailbreak. Unsuccessful, got the 007 error. As now it's still 3.1.

Any comment, Yifan?
minhhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:32 AM   #11
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Make sure you Restart the kindle (via the menu command) before attempting to install a hack.
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #12
RexGalore
Connoisseur
RexGalore doesn't litterRexGalore doesn't litter

I'm on 3.0.2 with jailbreaks and hacks installed now.
What I'm wondering is if I want to update to 3.1 and utilize this jailbreak should I un-hack and un-jailbreak before I update to 3.1 or can I update with old hacks installed and then just jailbreak again?
RexGalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 AM   #13
minhhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
Make sure you Restart the kindle (via the menu command) before attempting to install a hack.
If I don't restart, there is an U007 error.

If I do restart as you say, there is a "3" error.

Errors... How do I fix them now?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 AM   #14
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 3 error you can ignore, I think. It is just there because the kindle has recognised am unofficial file. I don't think it is anything to worry about. Do the hacks you installed work now?
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:06 AM   #15
minhhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric View Post
Do the hacks you installed work now?
After I got the "3" error, I installed NiLuJe's 0.4.N jailbreak. Still not working, still U007 error, still 3.1.

Looks like it's a long way to go before 3.1 can be defeated

Tags
jailbreak kindle 3.1, yifanlu jailbreak