Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #46
coolbird
coolbird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
Another problem I have with fbkindle is in Library view, when I was trying to use the down arrow button to go through the book list, a lot of times fkindle just quit and back to kindle system. Anyone has this issue?
coolbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #47
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
momntalex, that was fbkindle. No need to deinstall Duokan though, I have both on mine. But Duokan for me is not an option to read books yet, too many letters do not show up at all or look very strange.

coolbird, I gave up using the library view. When I switch to another book I just click on "a" (add book) and just navigate through the folders to open the book I want.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 AM   #48
Bonex
Connoisseur
Bonex began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD
@WS64 Thank you for the photo!

As I suspected, it ignores both the embedded fonts and the layout
Bonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #49
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
I gave up using the library view. When I switch to another book I just click on "a" (add book) and just navigate through the folders to open the book I want.
FYI: current book list is available anytime through the pop-up menu. Just choose one,
instead of adding the same book again and again.

Are you using the highly customized ui.xml as shown on previous page?
If so, please be aware that navigation in "byTag" library view is not currently supported
Just remove the following line from your ui.xml :
Code:
<option name="booksOrder" value="byTag"/>
in order to get library view sorted by author by default.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #50
coolbird

WS64, Thanks for posting your ui.xml and config.xml files. But the spaceAfter and spaceBefore paragraph options in ui.xml don't seem to work, like the following picture shows a epub Chinese book, there is no linespace between paragraph.

Last edited by coolbird; 12-01-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #51
coolbird

The broken image of my previous post:

Old 12-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #52
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

coolbird, actually it looks like there is some spacing, but a negative spacing.
The paragraphs are closser together than the normal lines.
You need a bigger value... Not sure if FBKindles supports this...

h1uke, thanks, I will remove it.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #53
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Concerning the “Three Men in a Boat" test, I do not see much difference from just taking the ePub file and converting it to the Mobipocket format with, per example, Calibre.

Here is a screen capture of it in my DXG.

(BTW: extraordinary well formated book!)

Best regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome.gif
Views:	660
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	62119  

Last edited by DDHarriman; 12-01-2010 at 02:25 PM.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #54
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
When I tried WS64's configurations, which include Documents as book source, my fbKindle would freeze when I opened my library! I set it back to Books, where I only have a few epubs, and it works fine.

Also, when I return to Kindle from fbKindle, my most recent books sort is messed up. It seems almost random. Weird.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #55
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another funny thing in fbKindle. When you change top and bottom margins, the progress bar moves up with the text. The progress bar is too close to the text, and this doesn't change when you change margins in the Options/Format menu. I also managed to change spacing before and after paragraphs through this menu, but sometimes it is hard to select a particular setting -- just can't get it highlighted.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #56
WS64

Is there any way with FBK to mark parts of the text so I can later edit the EPUB on my computer in case I find any errors in the text?
Old 12-04-2010, 10:55 AM   #57
montalex
Fanatic

@WS64: I'm not able to create, much less move and select with, a cursor on an epub page in fbKindle. If I want to use my dictionary, I've got to toggle back to Kindle to enter a word.

I can't yet see any practical use for fbKindle. Duokan, on the other hand, handles DJVU and PDF very nicely. Now, if only it were possible to use Launchpad to toggle between Kindle and Duokan.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #58
h1uke
Zealot
h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.h1uke can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: dxg, k3w,k4nt,kpw
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Is there any way with FBK to mark parts of the text so I can later edit the EPUB on my computer in case I find any errors in the text?
currently the answer is NO. And the main reason for that is the lack of pointing device on Kindles.
h1uke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #59
WS64

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
@WS64: I'm not able to create, much less move and select with, a cursor on an epub page in fbKindle. If I want to use my dictionary, I've got to toggle back to Kindle to enter a word.

I can't yet see any practical use for fbKindle. Duokan, on the other hand, handles DJVU and PDF very nicely. Now, if only it were possible to use Launchpad to toggle between Kindle and Duokan.
Well, except that one thing (select a word somehow) FbKindle is perfect for me. I finally have syllabication, I can get a much nicer page view (I can finally add a defined gap between paragraphs), and I just can switch back and forth between FBK and Kindle itself.

Duokan for me is so far just works for changing the device date in case I have to reboot (my kindle refuses to connect to my WiFi, without Duokan I probably would have sent it back already since with the wrong date the newest books always end at the end of my book list).
For reading books Duokan is not usable since too many letters (especially German umlauts) do not appear at all or are displayed with a completely wrong font.

I agree PDF rendering is better in Duokan than in Kindle itself, but then again my opinion is that you need a way bigger display (bigger than Kindle DX) to read most PDFs, so better still means "not usable" here too.

I'm still searching for a tablet device where I can easily read musical sheets...
Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #60
WS64

h1uke, will there be any updates at all?
I'm still using the one I installed 2 weeks ago since I have no idea where to check for updates...