Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #31
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Screenshot?

The command is wrong. An update from Duokan is likely to appear soon.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #32
wesleyer
Connoisseur
wesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enoughwesleyer will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamarlboro View Post
Can anyone share if or not Duokan does block Kindle's official firmware update via OTA in order to avoid the unexpected brick?
AFAIK, with Duokan you loose all connectivity to Amazon. So, yes, Amazon should not be able to install anything while Duokan is running.
But if you run the original firmware (Duokan does not override the original), then they should be able to upgrade it (not sure if this will harm the Duokan installlation though).
wesleyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #33
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyer View Post
AFAIK, with Duokan you loose all connectivity to Amazon. So, yes, Amazon should not be able to install anything while Duokan is running.
But if you run the original firmware (Duokan does not override the original), then they should be able to upgrade it (not sure if this will harm the Duokan installlation though).
Their shell scripts still exist, if you boot the system and watch telnet you can see them all executing.. they like to mount the rootfs as RW alot for no reason whatsoever in their scripts.. Even when you boot into kindle OS it still executes all of their scripts. Anyhow, I've looked into removing the scripts, should be easy to do, but waiting for someone with more knowledge to poke around in there and test it out =X
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #34
mrzerga
Connoisseur
mrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the roughmrzerga is a jewel in the rough

Device: kindle 3 wifi - love it
an update to the faq?

from the original forum:
I only have DXG, but seems like all version of Duokan has change the screenshot key to "shift+space" since the k3 version has released.
mrzerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #35
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KPW, K3, K2i, K2US
Have been using Duokan happily since before English was included and i'm now very close to switching 99% to doukan for my reading but there are a few issues which are holding me back:

1. Is there any way to change line spacing, margins, justified/non-justified, etc...?

2. Why is it that the text in epubs converted to mobi look crisper than in the original epub?
jetfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #36
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
WikiPages -
YoCan_Reader because wanted to include features, and hope to add those. But as this depends on Duokan, I started https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Duokan_Kindle Hope to cover more of the system, and wonder if it was okay to use info from this FAQ. Any thoughts ?
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #37
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FethryDuck View Post
WikiPages -
YoCan_Reader because wanted to include features, and hope to add those. But as this depends on Duokan, I started https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Duokan_Kindle Hope to cover more of the system, and wonder if it was okay to use info from this FAQ. Any thoughts ?
In post #3 of this thread, Polvo said it was okay to copy the information from his posts and use in a wiki. I think you're okay.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #38
mockingbird
mockingbird began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I then installed the aforementioned WyabdcRealPeopleTTS in system/dict. All this gives you is a nice female voice for the dictionary.
i can not make this work. i copied the folder in the said dict. and when i try tts in my kindle (using dictionary while in doukan then pressing alt q for 1), i only hear chinese then a male english. how can i use the female voice? thank you
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #39
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
i can not make this work. i copied the folder in the said dict. and when i try tts in my kindle (using dictionary while in doukan then pressing alt q for 1), i only hear chinese then a male english. how can i use the female voice? thank you
I'm not sure why the improved dictionary TTS hasn't worked for you. Maybe it needs a restart to recognize the new dictionary.

As for the female voice, there is one in the original. You have to access it from within a book. Use Aa key, go down to TTS, move your cursor to "male", then hit enter and toggle to female. This will not be the nice voice you get with the WyabdcRealPeopleTTS dictionary, however.

Last edited by montalex; 12-07-2010 at 09:14 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:47 AM   #40
mockingbird

thanks that was fast. do i need to copy-paste the WyabdcRealPeopleTTS folder to system/dict or just the a-z folders within the WyabdcRealPeopleTTS folder? or does it have to be in tar?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #41
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
thanks that was fast. do i need to copy-paste the WyabdcRealPeopleTTS folder to system/dict or just the a-z folders within the WyabdcRealPeopleTTS folder? or does it have to be in tar?
Just the main folder, extracted from tar. It does give you a really nice voice for the dictionary, but, as I said, won't change your TTS with books.

Last edited by montalex; 12-11-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #42
linksys
linksys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
when you restart after update, you'll see the usual boy under tree image, then the screen will flash, and you'll get the same imagine with the loading bar. After about 20% progress, the Duokan screen boot screen will flash. It is only there for a few seconds, so be ready to press Q (Kindle3) or 1 (Kindle2).
Try what I may, I cannot see the boot menu!

I have a Kindle 2 International (B003)

I copy the DK* folders to the kindle root directory.

I copy the Update_DK_k2i.bin file in "12月11号发布版本/卸载包/K2+DX全能版(美国+国际版)卸载包".

I "update" the kindle2.

I restart the kindle.

No boot menu!

I have restarted it 3-4 times. I have resetted the kindle to factory settings, and then installed duokan. Still no boot menu! Even tried pressing '1' continuously... still the kindle2 boots into the default firmware.

Help!!
linksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #43
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksys View Post
Try what I may, I cannot see the boot menu!

I have a Kindle 2 International (B003)

I copy the DK* folders to the kindle root directory.

I copy the Update_DK_k2i.bin file in "12月11号发布版本/卸载包/K2+DX全能版(美国+国际版)卸载包".

I "update" the kindle2.

I restart the kindle.

No boot menu!

I have restarted it 3-4 times. I have resetted the kindle to factory settings, and then installed duokan. Still no boot menu! Even tried pressing '1' continuously... still the kindle2 boots into the default firmware.

Help!!
Hmmm. That does seem strange. I, too, have a K2i, and it worked fine for me. Maybe try redownloading Duokan, and replacing just the DK_System folder. Here is where you can download the previous version: http://dl.dbank.com/c0l6stc0nj

The latest version actually defaults to Duokan on first boot, so you shouldn't even have to make a selection at the boot screen.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:39 AM   #44
linksys
linksys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Hmmm. That does seem strange. I, too, have a K2i, and it worked fine for me. Maybe try redownloading Duokan, and replacing just the DK_System folder. Here is where you can download the previous version: http://dl.dbank.com/c0l6stc0nj

The latest version actually defaults to Duokan on first boot, so you shouldn't even have to make a selection at the boot screen.

Installed the older version, rebooted to Duokan, replaced the DK_System to the one from the newer version. worked great!
linksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 PM   #45
mockingbird

wow the december 11 version is really fast and stable (and very rich in features). i am officially and permanently switching to duokan. unless i have 3g needs.

anyway does anyone know a way to trim down the default installed fonts? cause i'd like to fill it with custom fonts.

tip: before when i connect the kindle to the computer, it may or may not be detected as a usb drive. unpredictable. now you just have to sleep it before connecting it to the computer so it will be detected as a usb drive. if you connect it while reading, it simply charges.

Last edited by mockingbird; 12-14-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Tags
duokan, faq, kindle