Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #1111
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenalien View Post
Battery terminal voltage isn't the same as charge voltage, which always needs to be a bit higher than final voltage. Kindle chargers output 5V.
And they do not connect directly to the battery.

The way you worded your post, it read as if you had connected your bench supply directly to the battery.

And 4.2 volts IS the over-terminal capacity charge level.
Normal, that is, not including the over-charge level, is 3.7 volts.

But since you need a new battery anyway - have fun, you can not make this one any worse regardless of how you mistreat it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:18 PM   #1112
greenalien
greenalien began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
OK, so after 3 hours, the battery voltage has gone up to 4.07V, which is getting close to fully charged. At least that works, no need to source a spare battery.
Unfortunately, having reinstalled it in my Kindle and retried Kubrick, no luck. Each step only takes a few seconds before the green bar appears, which is much too fast.
I suspect that it either never gets into downloader mode, or doesn't stay in it for long enough for anything to complete.
greenalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:44 AM   #1113
greenalien
greenalien began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
The way you worded your post, it read as if you had connected your bench supply directly to the battery.
Of course I connected the charger directly to the battery. I chose to use a 5V charge voltage, but it could easily have been 6V or even 10V if used for short bursts - the critical voltage is the voltage that the battery pack has charged up to, not the charging voltage (which must always be larger than the critical voltage, or the battery would never get up to its critical voltage!)

We are not talking about a float charge here, which would be at the same level as the rated voltage, i.e. 3.7V.

The 2 essential criteria are charge current and the battery's state of charge - as you say, this must not exceed 4.2 volts, and must be checked regularly by disconnecting the charger and using a voltmeter directly on the terminals, a process that is automated in a smart charger.

One would normally charge at around 10% of the batteries current rating but it's possible to push Lithium batteries a bit harder, provided that you continuously monitor the battery temperature.

Last edited by greenalien; 11-10-2017 at 05:47 AM.
greenalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #1114
stil86
stil86 began at the beginning.

Device: k4, paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post

EDIT: This post is obsolete. The problem was caused by testing inside a Virtual Machine instead of on real hardware (see below). It's kept for reference.

There's nothing you can do to make it progress, because this situation is not expected to happen, so the program just waits indefinitely. When booting a device into fastboot mode, it is expected to end up there

But you can do something to help out, namely:
- reproduce the situation. You can just reboot the LiveCD, and perform the same steps again, and you should be getting into the same situation.
- switch to the second console (Press ALT+F2), then login there.
- enter "lsusb", and press ENTER
- post its output here. What's really important is the parts after the "ID" entries, so if you're "manually copying" stuff, you can ignore the Bus and Device output.

When entering fastboot mode, a device with ID 1949:d0d0 is expected to show up, but maybe that is different on your Kindle. Please post the lsusb output.
Hello everibody !!
I'm trying to debrick my K4 with kubrick but I stuck at "putting your device into fastboot mode".
I switched to second console and my device ID is:
15a2:0052 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.
Need I to trash it ?
Thanks
Stil86

Last edited by stil86; 11-17-2017 at 12:44 PM.
stil86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:36 PM   #1115
marceldallagnol
marceldallagnol began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if there is anything else I can try before giving up on my Kindle Touch. I have followed most of the guides around here and Kubrick is the only tool that made a bit of progress. I'll try and give as much information as I can, but the problem is that I get stuck in the screen with the logo and the tree no matter how I boot it.

After I tried doing a factory reset from the settings menu on Kindle, it got stuck after rebooting. I tried doing a few hard resets, but the screen would just flash and go back to that. I charged it for a day, then tried following the simple debricking guide but couldn't get past the "Select Boot" part, since booting on USB Recovery mode didn't seem to have any effect. I thought USB Recovery wasn't even working, but, with Kubrick, even though the screen didn't change, it detected it and I could go past the first part of the debricking procedure (it also shows up as a HID on Windows, which doesn't happen if I do a hard reset). Same thing happens for fastboot: the screen is unchanged, but Kubrick seems to be able to work (also, following advice from someone here, I left it charging in fastboot mode for a few hours, but no change). I can go all the way through flashing the diags partition, and the screen flashes, but get stuck when I'm supposed input things on the Kindle in diags mode (since the diags screen doesn't show).

It seems, then, that my Kindle can boot in USB Recovery, fastboot and diags modes, but the screen is frozen. Is there anything at all left to try? Just to be clear, it seemed to me like a software issue, since all this happened after a failed attempt to factory reset.

Thanks a lot, and happy new year!
marceldallagnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:30 AM   #1116
ZyXeL
ZyXeL began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 & PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by marceldallagnol View Post
It seems, then, that my Kindle can boot in USB Recovery, fastboot and diags modes, but the screen is frozen. !
Same here. Every steps works fine, but after flashing and resetting the sreen hangs on this "broken" black/white thing. I can't see the diag menu.

Eventually the diag menu is THERE but I just can't see it? If so: Could someone please give me the clicks to go in USBNet (e.g. 3 x down -> Enter -> 8 x down -> Enter and so on...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3948.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	161375  

Last edited by ZyXeL; 01-09-2018 at 03:35 AM.
ZyXeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:41 AM   #1117
ginger_lalique
ginger_lalique began at the beginning.

Unhappy exclamation mark in Kindle Touch

Thank you for a great method of debricking Kindles!

Do you happen to know what exclamation mark can mean? My Kindle won't turn on. I already tried to change my battery. It didn't work. I tried to connect it to computer through USB but it can see it for 3 seconds only, then it disappears.
I will try to debrick it now, will tell you if it worked.

Thanks again
ginger_lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #1118
rafikius
Enthusiast
rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!rafikius , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K3 3G
again .... flashing too short :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafikius View Post
I could not revive my kindle 3 3G in any way so decided to debrick it.

Everything went OK till the screen informing that flashing can take from 1 -3 hours. I chose next and it lasted no more than few seconds.

Is it normal? or indicates the kindle flash memory is dead ?
...Two years later....

I did not manage to revive the kindle I asked your help with so I got another one... also the keyboard
(I skiped the otion with FTID cable as an used reader was cheaper than the cable)

Unfortunately this one also began to restart in a impredictable manner and refused to wake up one day

I tried to debrick it.

I used USB and the DVD version of Kubrick used 3 diffirent machines (win7, win xp sp3, win xp sp1 )

I used 3 different cables.

Try as I might I could not get my kindle flashed. I got the same result as 2 years ago. ie: Everything went OK till the screen informing that flashing can take from 1-3 hours. I clicked next and it lasted no more than few seconds.

I suspect an systematic error from my side.

Any ideas waht I could do wrong?
rafikius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #1119
Malhavoc
Malhavoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch D01200
Live USB

I've tried creating a live usb with Win32Diskimager and rufus. Tested on 2 usb drives and 3 pc's. Re-downloaded all the files and tried all three versions but keep getting a hang when booting from uefi partition one and a java not found when booting from main usb. Not sure what else to try since i dont have a disk drive. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/M8wpDWh
Malhavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #1120
Wight1984
Wight1984 began at the beginning.

Struggling to get Kubrick to boot on any device (tried two laptops and one desktop so far). The instructions to put kubrick onto usb seemed simply enough but the laptop screens just go black (and nothing happens) and the (asus) desktop complained about unauthorized changes to firmware. Does Kubrick only work when booted from specific computers?
Wight1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #1121
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I've successfully used Kubrick in the past, but it is not working for me in this case. My Kindle 3 started randomly freezing, and would restart eventually (hard restart) I tried charging its battery overnight, and it froze completely. I tried Kubrick several times, and when I get to "flashing main partition" it finishes in seconds. I've several DVDs/Cds -- same thing. For some reason, I can't get USB drive to boot on my computer -- I see it, but it won't boot. Now my Kindle is completely frozen and appears as SE Blank Ringo when plugged into my computer. I have I really killed it? I loved this old thing! It's been through a couple of screens!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #1122
kindlepunk
kindlepunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3W
have kubrick on a usbstick with the iso in /efi/boot.

It boots to this message:

no kubrick partition found

continues

no java

poweroff system
kindlepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #1123
xJCross
xJCross began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT
For whoever stumbles across this thread in the future, this software still works. I just used it to remedy my Kindle 4th gen non-touch. It had been packed away for a few years and had previously been jailbroken, screensaver modded, all that fun stuff. After a many hour journey to discover why I couldn't connect to Amazon (I'd missed the memo about updating or losing connectivity) and why I couldn't update to 4.1.1 from 4.0 (because the update had issues detecting the original screensaver files), etc., I finally have a working K4 again!

I wasn't able to get the USB version of Kubrick to work (came up to the Kubrick screen that said something to the effect of "if this takes longer than a minute, this won't work" on multiple PCs I tried), but I was able to make the CD version just fine and went through the wizard with no issues. It was a lifesaver for me.

Again, I'm very much appreciative, and I'll check in here from time to time to see if I can't answer any questions about K4NT's specifically.
xJCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #1124
yahoowizard
yahoowizard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch Gen 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlepunk View Post
have kubrick on a usbstick with the iso in /efi/boot.

It boots to this message:

no kubrick partition found

continues

no java

poweroff system
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhavoc View Post
I've tried creating a live usb with Win32Diskimager and rufus. Tested on 2 usb drives and 3 pc's. Re-downloaded all the files and tried all three versions but keep getting a hang when booting from uefi partition one and a java not found when booting from main usb. Not sure what else to try since i dont have a disk drive. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/M8wpDWh

I get the same thing. Did either of you find a solution?
yahoowizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #1125
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
It is usually more than a bit hard to uefi boot external media, since that is one of the things uefi was developed to control.

Follow the directions to make a non-uefi boot media, diddle bios settings (if required) to boot from the older media format.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote