Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 07-24-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
Deahna
Deahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Word Count in Marvin 3?

Personally I don't find Marvin's new interface all that intuitiv - so please, can someone help me?

I imported my library from Marvin 2 and all (all!) books had word counts.

In Marvin 3 about half the books have lost their word count.

I found on appstafarian's blog "Automatically computes word counts in the background." but it doesn't seem to do this. I also don't have a footer for these books.

Is there any way to make Marvin compute word count for one specific book the way it was in Marvin 2 in the metadata section?

I've been using Marvin 3 almost from the day it came out and am now on verison 3.0.4.
Deahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:17 AM   #2
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Deahna I'll look into the this. Thanks for your feedback.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have also noticed that a small number of my unopened books do not have word counts.

These are, as far as I can remember, books where I opened the app, added the books from my Calibre server and then left the app.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
mgbino
Groupie
mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgbino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight
I've noticed that any book I convert from azw to .epub in Calibre has a word count of 0.
mgbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 AM   #5
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
This will be fixed in today's update. Sorry for the hassle.
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 PM   #6
cmm1186
cmm1186 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Still not seeing word count

I just transferred my entire library from the previous version of Marvin to Marvin 3, and so far have had nothing but issues.

I searched through the myriad of settings and could not find out how to display word count. I finally realized that if I "pulled" on a book I could see the metadata, etc and saw that the word count on all of the books I transferred was "about 0". I used the word count function in the old version of Marvin on every single title I transferred over, and that information should have come along. Irregardless, the website says that it performs word count automatically in the background for everything in your library, so there should definitely be word counts for my books.

Any help would be appreciated to figure out or fix what is going on here.

(I have the latest version of Marvin 3, so the fix mentioned above is not the fix for this. )
cmm1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:49 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
From Marvin's main screen, click settings (the gear icon) in the upper left corner.
Select "general settings" and scroll all the way down. Select "fix stuck word counts".

Depending on the size of your library, it could take a few minutes to repopulate all the word counts. Be patient and don't add to the processor load by running a bunch of other tasks while Marvin is churning out the word count.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:37 AM   #8
Deahna
Deahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Depending on the size of your library, it could take a few minutes to repopulate all the word counts. Be patient and don't add to the processor load by running a bunch of other tasks while Marvin is churning out the word count.
I have done this. Several times. Over night. After quitting all other apps.

I still don't have the word count for most of the books that didn't have them after transfering.

Why isn't there a way to recalculate word count at least for specific books? The option was there for every book in Marvin 2 so it's not anything revolutionary new.
Deahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #9
Pendragn
Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.Pendragn knows what's going on.

Device: None
Deleted

Last edited by Pendragn; 01-18-2024 at 04:18 PM.
Pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Is there a way to force quick calculation of word count? The Fix Stuck Word Count doesn't seem to do anything until I open the ebook and even then, I sometimes have to go through the "select the Fix Stuck Word Count - open ebook" loop multiple times before it actually calculates word count.

I don't think it's because of lack of processing power. I've tried on Air (A7), Air 2 (A8X), Pro 9.7 (A9X) and 2017 Pro 12.9 (A10X) and it doesn't appear as if Marvin is doing any background calculations at all. If I do a manual word count on Marvin 2, calculation is near instantaneous on the A10X.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
If I check my, admittedly faulty, memory banks... I think the wordcount isn't supposed to work until you open the book for the first time. It doesn't know what is in the book until you open it.

Maybe someone can confirm that??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote