Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-17-2017, 03:54 AM   #31
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The new patch works differently, you only need to change the last replace_int line.

(The value used by the timer is actually in milliseconds, but numbers larger than 255 are encoded in a complicated way, so with the old patch it was necessary to specify a different 4-byte sequence for 3000, 5000, etc. The new patch takes a smaller number in seconds, which can be entered as a plain integer, and multiplies it by 1024 to get an approximation of the timer value in milliseconds. The first replace_bytes line is just to set up this code to do the multiplication.)

(Edit: And if you are wondering why multiply by 1024 instead of 1000? 4 bytes is not enough space to load a multiplicand and load a multiplier and perform a normal multiplication. But there is a trick for multiplying by powers of 2 using a logical-shift-left instruction that doesn't require loading the multiplier. 1024 = 2 to the 10th power.)
Thank you for the explanation, I was curious too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #32
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
There's a spelling error in one of the patch titles:

Quote:
Increase size of chaper progress chart in Kepub
The spelling error doesn't affect anything.

Thanks for all the updates!

Last edited by chrisridd; 12-17-2017 at 03:13 PM.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2017, 03:01 PM   #33
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
There's a spelling error in one of the patch titles:
Hmm... the original name was `Chapters progress increasing size in Kepub`, GeoffR change the name to `Increase size of chaper progress chart in Kepub`.

EDIT: I think the original name also have spelling error.

Last edited by oren64; 12-17-2017 at 03:25 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #34
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Hmm... the original name was `Chapters progress increasing size in Kepub`, GeoffR change the name to `Increase size of chaper progress chart in Kepub`.

EDIT: I think the original name also have spelling error.
The first one is grammatically incorrect, and the second one has a spelling error, and a slight grammatical error. It should be: `Increase size of Kepub chapter progress chart`
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:15 AM   #35
SaraOliveira
SaraOliveira began at the beginning.

Hi!

First of all, thank you for the excellent work.
and I would like to know : Any improvement on 'libadobe'?
SaraOliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #36
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I upgraded and patched my new Limited Edition Aura One with exactly the same files as I used on my regular (8gb) Aura One (fw 4.7.10413), but the Limited Edition seems to selectively ignore some of the patches. Specifically, only full paragraphs are displayed on each page. If there is not enough room to display an entire paragraph, then a huge blank space is left on the screen, and the new paragraph begins on the next page. If there is enough room to include a full paragraph, then the patches do seem to work because the text goes all the way to the bottom of the screen, but ONLY if an entire paragraph fits. I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I am reading kepubs (not full-screen), and wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
If there is not enough room to display an entire paragraph, then a huge blank space is left on the screen, and the new paragraph begins on the next page. If there is enough room to include a full paragraph, then the patches do seem to work because the text goes all the way to the bottom of the screen, but ONLY if an entire paragraph fits. I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I am reading kepubs (not full-screen), and wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?
It sounds like what you'd expect to see in a book whose CSS has big values for widows and orphans, although I do have a vague memory that someone posted that widows/orphans don't work in kepubs.

Have you tested viewing several different books on the new KA1 or compared exact same book/same page using same font and size on your 2 different KA1s?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #38
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It sounds like what you'd expect to see in a book whose CSS has big values for widows and orphans, although I do have a vague memory that someone posted that widows/orphans don't work in kepubs.

Have you tested viewing several different books on the new KA1 or compared exact same book/same page using same font and size on your 2 different KA1s?
I thought it might be the widows/orphans thing, but I checked the book's CSS and it's clean. Then I compared the same book on the regular KA1 vs the Limited Edition (using the same font, etc.), and the regular KA1 displays it perfectly..Same book, same firmware, same patches (in fact, the same generated kobo.tgz file), same settings, different results. I even reloaded the book AND the patches on both readers in case I had changed something somewhere, but got the same result. I'm willing to wait for new firmware in the hope that Kobo will sync things up between all the Mark 6 devices, if that's what the issue is. Kind of a pain but hopefully it will get sorted out. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #39
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@icallaci,

I know you said you normally read kepubs but have you also tried looking at a standard epub (the same one) on both devices, to see if you get the same problem?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #40
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@icallaci,

I know you said you normally read kepubs but have you also tried looking at a standard epub (the same one) on both devices, to see if you get the same problem?
If I get some time, I'll give it a try, but I'm getting ready to travel for the holidays (not one of my smarter decisions, but oh, well). I'm tempted to leave it alone until the next firmware update to see if the problem persists.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #41
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Specifically, only full paragraphs are displayed on each page. If there is not enough room to display an entire paragraph, then a huge blank space is left on the screen, and the new paragraph begins on the next page. If there is enough room to include a full paragraph, then the patches do seem to work because the text goes all the way to the bottom of the screen, but ONLY if an entire paragraph fits. I'm not sure where the problem lies, but I am reading kepubs (not full-screen), and wonder if anyone else is experiencing the same thing?
I have seen this happen in the KePub reader when a very narrow line spacing is used. Try increasing the line spacing and see if the problem goes away.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:09 PM   #42
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I thought it might be the widows/orphans thing, but I checked the book's CSS and it's clean. Then I compared the same book on the regular KA1 vs the Limited Edition (using the same font, etc.), and the regular KA1 displays it perfectly..Same book, same firmware, same patches (in fact, the same generated kobo.tgz file), same settings, different results. I even reloaded the book AND the patches on both readers in case I had changed something somewhere, but got the same result. I'm willing to wait for new firmware in the hope that Kobo will sync things up between all the Mark 6 devices, if that's what the issue is. Kind of a pain but hopefully it will get sorted out. Thanks.
Did you see this problem on the Aura ONE LE with firmware 4.7.10364? There are differences between the firmware versions and they are related to the Aura ONE LE. I wouldn't have expected a difference like this, but it could be part of the reason that 4.7.10413 hasn't been released to the Aura ONE LE.

Kobo have said they will sync things up with the next firmware release. But, if you want to make sure something like this is fixed, you need to report it to Kobo.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #43
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I have seen this happen in the KePub reader when a very narrow line spacing is used. Try increasing the line spacing and see if the problem goes away.
Well, well, well! That did the trick. I was sure I used the same settings on the two readers, but just one tick higher on the line-spacing in the Limited Edition made the problem go away. I suspect the problem is related to the particular embedded font in this book (Charis SIL), which has very wide leading anyway. I had to set the line spacing to about 80% of maximum, but I can live with that, especially since I tested some other books without the Charis font and the problem is not as apparent.

Thank you, GeoffR!

ETA: I've never seen this particular problem with line-height before. Previously, if the line-height was too narrow, I'd see a partial line of type at the bottom and/or top of the page. But this time the entire paragraph was moved to the following page. I learned something new today, so that's a good thing.

Last edited by icallaci; 12-20-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 PM   #44
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Did you see this problem on the Aura ONE LE with firmware 4.7.10364? There are differences between the firmware versions and they are related to the Aura ONE LE. I wouldn't have expected a difference like this, but it could be part of the reason that 4.7.10413 hasn't been released to the Aura ONE LE.

Kobo have said they will sync things up with the next firmware release. But, if you want to make sure something like this is fixed, you need to report it to Kobo.
I updated to 4.7.10413 immediately, so I never tested the LE with 4.7.10364. I feel a little embarrassed that the answer was so simple (increase the line height), but maybe it's an attempt by Kobo to eliminate the partial lines of text that used to appear when the line height was too narrow. (Although I did go and fiddle with the line height again and the partial lines of text showed up again, but only at one particular line height.) Anyway, it's all good now. Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:38 AM   #45
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I updated to 4.7.10413 immediately, so I never tested the LE with 4.7.10364.
OK, but I've been waiting for a comment about something from someone with an LE and 4.7.10364
Quote:
I feel a little embarrassed that the answer was so simple (increase the line height), but maybe it's an attempt by Kobo to eliminate the partial lines of text that used to appear when the line height was too narrow. (Although I did go and fiddle with the line height again and the partial lines of text showed up again, but only at one particular line height.) Anyway, it's all good now. Thanks again.
I occasionally see the partials, but, only if the book embeds Charis SIL or a variant. If it bugs me, or the book doesn't really need the font, I'll choose one of the Kobo fonts.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote