Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: e-ink screen failed,lifetime=???
screen failed,lifetime<1year(<720hrs,if read 2hrs/day ) 1 5.88%
screen failed,lifetime<1.5years(<1080hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<2years(<1440hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<2.5years(<1800hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<3years(<2160hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<3.5years(<2520hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<4years(<2880hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<4.5years(<3240hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<5years(<3600hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<5.5years(<3960hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<6years(<4320hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<6.5years(<4680hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<7years(<5040hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<7.5years(<5400hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<8years(<5760hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<8.5years(<6120hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<9years(<6480hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<9.5years(<6840hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime<10years(<7200hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 0 0%
screen failed,lifetime>10years(>7200hrs,if read 2hrs/day) 3 17.65%
else 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've had a K1, KK, PW, Voyage, Oasis 1, and Oasis 2 with never a failure. The K1 was fine at the time I gave it away, and the KK still works fine today. I used it again for awhile when I donated the PW to my dog club's annual fund-raising sale a week or so before the Voyage I'd ordered arrived.

Once in a great while I see reports of screen failures on older Kindles over at KBoards, but as I recall they've always been on devices much older than 3 years.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm not going ANYWHERE! Death is just giving in to peer pressure!

Someone's pressuring me like nobody's business!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #18
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Like so many other members, mine are all still operating fine, going back to the kindle keyboard version.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #19
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
I've never had any Kindle experience a screen failure. I've always bought the newest model after a couple of years, but always the model I was leaving was working perfectly when I handed it down to a family member.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have owned a Nook, 3 different Kindles, several Sony readers and a couple Kobo readers. Not one single instance of screen failure since 2011. It's more or less a non-issue in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2017, 02:47 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've had one Reader fail. That was a screen controller issue and not the screen. I've never had a screen just fail.

I voted else as in no failure at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:14 AM   #22
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
My only screen failure was due to impact on a Kindle DX. A vacuum insulated no spill coffee mug slipped out of my hand while reading and hit the screen glass. I suspect that most screen failures are due to impacts or due to the frame of the reader twisting due to applied stress such as carrying in a pocket.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I voted "else" because I've never had a screen fail. Never broken one either.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I think "screen failure" usually means a broken screen.

Quote:
This princess lives in a glass castle, that princess on a glass hill; this one sees all things in a mirror; they may all live in glass houses if they will not throw stones. For this thin glitter of glass everywhere is the expression of the fact that the happiness is bright but brittle, like the substance most easily smashed by a housemaid or a cat. ...

Remember, however, that to be breakable is not the same as to be perishable. Strike a glass, and it will not endure an instant; simply do not strike it, and it will endure a thousand years.
— G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:46 AM   #25
isaak
Enthusiast
isaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheeseisaak can extract oil from cheese

Device: kobo aura one; kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
My only screen failure was due to impact on a Kindle DX. A vacuum insulated no spill coffee mug slipped out of my hand while reading and hit the screen glass. I suspect that most screen failures are due to impacts or due to the frame of the reader twisting due to applied stress such as carrying in a pocket.
My Kindle DX screen has 2-3 permanent black points probably due to impact, but it is still pretty readable. The main limiting factor is battery life.
isaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:10 PM   #26
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
20 person discussion group at library - not a single person had screen failure due to anything but direct damage (dropping unit, banged around in a backpack or purse, child under 7). I think the 3 year claim is just a marketing ploy to get you to buy another.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:48 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The screen is fine, the battery is what causes the problem. Given that most people cannot replace the battery or know of anyone who can, the hardware is still in good condition except for the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #28
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think "screen failure" usually means a broken screen.
— G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
Well, there are different screen failures. There is the one kind where there is an actual break in the screen. Then there is the failure UNDER the screen where that delicate stuff is wounded. For instance, my 'broken' screen worked perfectly fine except in the area where I had grabbed it to prevent it from falling. Had I let it fall, it probably would have been perfectly ok. Instead, I grabbed it and the area where my fingers applied a small amount of pressure damaged the substrate underneath.

It's a reasonable question. It's pretty hard to bust the screen on a tablet without apply considerable force or having it land on a very hard surface. But bending of the ereader frame, as mentioned, will damage the substrate underneath.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #29
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
the only non-damaged screen failure i've had is the screen on the sony prs-500. at this point, it is 11 years old. the screen failure isn't so much a complete failure as it is showing a lot of ghosting from the previous page. it is ghosting so much that is is difficult to read. this isn't a total surprise as light ghosting is one of the problems of this screen to begin with.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've never seen screens fail through wearing out. Only through broken substrates. Since all movement in an E-Ink screen happens within sealed capsules, I expect their lifetime to be considerably more than 10 years.

The fragility of the glass substrate is one reason why I'm hoping that my next ereader will have a flexible substrate.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote