Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #16
Seraphine
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

Reimplementing calibre's virtual libraries in CC isn't practical because VLs depend on calibre's much more powerful search engine. That said, you can get most of the way there. The FAQ answer How do I see/use my calibre virtual libraries in CC?.

The method described in the FAQ answer work because CC's searches act a lot like calibre's VLs. When you do a search in CC, all the books that do not match are removed from the grouping results, along with their categories. For example, if you have a tag "Foo" and long-press that tag in grouping to search on it, you will no longer see in grouping authors of books that do not have that tag.

What you can't get from CC that calibre has is searching on the VL. Calibre has multiple levels of search, while CC has only one.
Thank you for responding so promptly - I've mostly gotten used to the Internet being asleep when I'm poking around. I found Calibre Companion before I found this forum, so today is my first visit to the FAQ here. It's excellent.

As I was hoping for libraries for the purpose of searching within the libraries, my understanding is that the method described in the FAQ, while a useful emulation of the libraries, won't allow me to search within them - correct?

As I said, I'm currently adding extra tags to my books within Calibre so that I can sort through them on CC, and that's an acceptable solution for me. Thank you for explaining why multiple library implementation isn't a viable solution.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphine View Post
As I was hoping for libraries for the purpose of searching within the libraries, my understanding is that the method described in the FAQ, while a useful emulation of the libraries, won't allow me to search within them - correct?
You can't "search" because the "VL" is a search, but you can "group". Grouping replaces search unless you need multiple terms such as "authors:weber and tags:fantasy". But grouping on "weber" after a long press on a VL name does give you "inVL and authors:weber".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 AM   #18
Seraphine
Nameless Being

Quote:
You can't "search" because the "VL" is a search, but you can "group". Grouping replaces search unless you need multiple terms such as "authors:weber and tags:fantasy". But grouping on "weber" after a long press on a VL name does give you "inVL and authors:weber".
Okay, thank you, I understand now. I use Calibre well enough, but I don't pretend to understand even half of its functionalities!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
I am not certain this issue is specific to this release but it is where I noticed the issue.

When opening the grouping drawer I notice the book count is higher than the actual number of books on my device in the designated CC folder.

I have tried clearing the book database and connecting wirelessly to Calibre via CC, but I believe the issue may have been as a result of manually deleting several book files through a file explorer as opposed to CC.

Actual books: 9

Book Count listed: 12

Edit: Bahh: Apologies for the large image files. First attempt at using tapatalk to include images.

Last edited by Dhevi; 09-11-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #20
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
It uses the column title for the label in book details.
I sent you the new logs. The error in Calibre is looking for my old column lookup name, and my test accessing the content server on Opera browser had no error. I later changed just the column title and left the lookup name what it used to be and everything worked ok.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 04:07 AM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
I am not certain this issue is specific to this release but it is where I noticed the issue.

When opening the grouping drawer I notice the book count is higher than the actual number of books on my device in the designated CC folder.

I have tried clearing the book database and connecting wirelessly to Calibre via CC, but I believe the issue may have been as a result of manually deleting several book files through a file explorer as opposed to CC.
Yup, deleting files outside of CC will result in what you see. For performance reasons CC believes its database.

You can fix this by going to CC's "Books with missing files" function, available in CC's menu (the 3 dots). You will be shown all the books in CC's database for which the book files no longer exist. Either delete the books or connect and resend them.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #22
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I sent you the new logs. The error in Calibre is looking for my old column lookup name, and my test accessing the content server on Opera browser had no error. I later changed just the column title and left the lookup name what it used to be and everything worked ok.
The problem seems to be that you have the old lookup name listed in the tweak 'content_server_will_display'. Is this true?

Even if the above is true, it is a bug. Calibre shouldn't have problems if random keys are listed in that tweak.

Edit: fix for calibre submitted.

Last edited by chaley; 09-12-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #23
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
The problem seems to be that you have the old lookup name listed in the tweak 'content_server_will_display'. Is this true?

Even if the above is true, it is a bug. Calibre shouldn't have problems if random keys are listed in that tweak.

Edit: fix for calibre submitted.
Yes, you are correct of course. All looks good now.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #24
Dhevi
Zealot
Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dhevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S3, Nexus 7.2
Book Count

Quote:
Yup, deleting files outside of CC will result in what you see. For performance reasons CC believes its database.

You can fix this by going to CC's "Books with missing files" function, available in CC's menu (the 3 dots). You will be shown all the books in CC's database for which the book files no longer exist. Either delete the books or connect and resend them.
I think I've stumbled upon something more with this.

1) Selected "Books with missing files" and returned 0 results as seen in attachment 1, I went ahead and selected "Delete All" all the same.

Book count still tracking phantom books.

2) After using deleting all books from within CC, clean book database from within CC, Clearing Data from the android application manager, uninstalling CC. Reinstalling CC. Reconfiguring CC settings and connecting wirelessly to Calibre with scan on connect the book count still tracks the phantom books.

But, and this is where I thought it got interesting, as you'll see in attachment 2-5:

- While in portrait mode, list display: 9 books counted. (Correct count)
- While in portrait mode, cover grid display: 12 books counted (+3 books)
- While in landscape mode, list display: 9 books counted. (Correct count)
- While in landscape mode, cover grid display: 16 books counted (+7 books)

What all this means... do not manually delete books from outside of CC. lol. I just thought I would share this finding. It's not so much a big deal but I found it quite amusing.

Edit: These results were all taken from Galaxy S3, but replicated on my Galaxy tab 2 10.1 both running 3.1.1.

I can send a copy of the debug log, which from my initial look over, tracks 9 books, if you need.

To expand further: It appears that only when selecting a Group category such as Title, Authors, Series etc, and then a sub-group, does the book count then display the total books including phantom books. Ex: Group by Title: Entries starting with "C"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-12-21-08-09.png
Views:	413
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	110922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-12-20-52-16.png
Views:	428
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	110923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-12-20-52-13.png
Views:	405
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	110924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-12-20-51-57.png
Views:	410
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	110925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-09-12-20-52-07.png
Views:	405
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	110926  

Last edited by Dhevi; 09-12-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Dhevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhevi View Post
I think I've stumbled upon something more with this.
Yes, you did, and thank you for persevering.

When in grid view, the last row can have empty book positions when the number of books in the database is not an exact multiple of the number of books shown in a row. In order to ensure that the wood shelf background is displayed all the way across the screen, CC creates enough "phantom books" to fill the shelf to the end. Because it does this, when displaying the grid, sometimes (perhaps "usually" but not "always") the count of books will include these phantoms.

This will teach me to test always with hundreds of books. I had too many to notice that the sum of the grouping numbers did not always match the displayed total.

The fix is straight forward: remove the phantoms from the count. I will make another prerelease soon, probably today, that contains this fix.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
Duke9700
Duke9700 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Galaxy Note Pro 12.2/Galaxy S20
Integer custom columns?

I use the Count Pages plugin which adds a page count to an integer custom column. For example mine is Pages which has a lookup/search name of #pages.

I've added #pages to the CC setting to make a group from the custom column. I do indeed get a group for the custom column but it always shows "No books match the search".

I've played around with creating another text custom column and that approach works fine except Count Pages only works with interger columns. I also tried creating a column based on another (autofilling with the contents of my #pages) but it appears it's still integers.

Is there a way to get a group from an integer custom column (or am I going about this all wrong)?
Duke9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #27
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke9700 View Post
I use the Count Pages plugin which adds a page count to an integer custom column. For example mine is Pages which has a lookup/search name of #pages.

I've added #pages to the CC setting to make a group from the custom column. I do indeed get a group for the custom column but it always shows "No books match the search".

I've played around with creating another text custom column and that approach works fine except Count Pages only works with interger columns. I also tried creating a column based on another (autofilling with the contents of my #pages) but it appears it's still integers.

Is there a way to get a group from an integer custom column (or am I going about this all wrong)?
Same here: I don't use Count Pages but the metadata downloaded by the FFDL plugin for fanfics I save in calibre contains data for word counts that I have shown in a custom column #wordcount, and I've tried doing as Duke9700 did, with the same results.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #28
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke9700 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sefiriot View Post
Same here: I don't use Count Pages but the metadata downloaded by the FFDL plugin for fanfics I save in calibre contains data for word counts that I have shown in a custom column #wordcount, and I've tried doing as Duke9700 did, with the same results.
CC does not support grouping or searching on non-text columns.

I am not sure what it would mean to group on an integer column. Would you expect each different value to appear when you tap the column? What would "by first letter" mean in this case?

It is much easier to see the value in searching for integer columns. I could do exact match searching by converting the number to its equivalent text. Harder would be the relational operator such as greater than or less than, because CC's search currently doesn't support the syntax. I will look at it.

Last edited by chaley; 09-14-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #29
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I have added searching for numeric columns, including =, >, <, >=, and <=.

Will be in the next prerelease, probably early next week.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #30
Duke9700
Duke9700 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Galaxy Note Pro 12.2/Galaxy S20
Quote:
I am not sure what it would mean to group on an integer column. Would you expect each different value to appear when you tap the column? What would "by first letter" mean in this case?
I definitely understand that the idea of "group" may not make the most sense - at least not without kind of logic thrown in.

Typically I use this column not for grouping but for sorting. There are times when I want to sort by the number of pages - especially if I just have a short window to read.
Duke9700 is offline   Reply With Quote