Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #46
Vighnahara
Vighnahara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I'm still having the problem.

I loaded the book in Calibre and converted epub > epub, using all "0.0 pt" in the Page Setup option, using "Kindle" in the Output profile, and "Default Input Profile" in the Input profile. I did not change any other settings.

I did this with a copy of the book I'm currently reading, and compared it to the original, and there's no difference.

p.s. The "batch" books I need to convert is my entire library, put together piece by piece over the past couple years. I suppose I could just settle to convert them as I start reading them, but it would be nicer to hit a few buttons and be done with it.
Vighnahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #47
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
never mind.

Last edited by foghat; 09-29-2010 at 04:54 PM.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #48
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Kovid did say back at the beginning of this thread that if someone opened a bug with an offending book that he would put an option/fix into Calibre. I think it would be great if someone took him up on his offer just so that this thread could die. Anyone??
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #49
Teifiside
Teifiside began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdarend View Post
As I had a lot of files to convert from EPUB to MOBI (and they were all giving me the left margin problem) I decided to write a small program to overwrite the stylesheet.css file with one of my own definition.

If anyone wants a copy let me know.
mvdarend - Just got a Kindle 3 and I'd be incredibly grateful if you could E mail me a link to your program, as manually editing the CSS for all my ePub books makes me shudder... E mail is - richard@anahata.net

Good work mate, thanks in advance.
Teifiside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #50
mug2k
mug2k began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
The easiest way is to open the epub in a program called Sigil and hit the save button. Then when you convert it to mobi its all aligned corectly.

Sigil
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/downl...dows-Setup.exe

Its worked for me faultlessly thus far.
mug2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #51
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

I thought the fastest version of Calibre corrected this epub to mobi isssule according to the update.

But I still seem to have left margin pushed too far.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #52
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
I thought the fastest version of Calibre corrected this epub to mobi isssule according to the update.
It was fixed in 0.7.21
Quote:
MOBI Output: Fix bug that could caused left margins in the MOBI file to have twice the size of the left margins in the input document, when viewed on the pathetic Kindle MOBI renderer
The problem fixed was, during conversion from epub to mobi a epub that had a 1em left margin seemed to be translated into a 2em margin when converted to mobi. Now a 1em left margin is translated to mobi as a 1em left margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
But I still seem to have left margin pushed too far.
If it was actually fixed then your left margin is no longer "pushed too far" it is pushed exactly as far as your source document indicated it should be pushed.

For me personally, using a 6 inch ereader, any left margin (more then 5pts) seems too much to me.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:37 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is NO WAY to know what the CSS is for a given ePub. So replacing it with some other CSS is going to screw with the formatting of the ePub. So don't use that program to break your ePub for conversion to Mobipocket.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teifiside View Post
mvdarend - Just got a Kindle 3 and I'd be incredibly grateful if you could E mail me a link to your program, as manually editing the CSS for all my ePub books makes me shudder... E mail is - richard@anahata.net

Good work mate, thanks in advance.
Changing the CSS could make the format worse then a wide left margin. The replacement CSS is not going to match the original CSS properly.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, guess what? There might be a very simple solution to this problem.

Code:
ebook-convert eBook.epub eBook.mobi --margin-left=0 --margin-right=0 --margin-top=0 --margin-bottom=0
I cannot test this as the laptop only has Mobipocket Reader on it which doesn't have the K3 bug. Yes, the bug is not in the Mobipocket file but in the K3's renderer.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Has anyone with a Kindle actually tried my suggestion and does it work?
Old 10-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #57
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had this issue but now can't find the ebook. So many books, so little time. Once I find it I would like to try this. Where would I put the code?
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I had this issue but now can't find the ebook. So many books, so little time. Once I find it I would like to try this. Where would I put the code?
In the command prompt. It's a command line command. I don't use the gui. I use the command prompt program ebook-convert.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #59
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
In the command prompt. It's a command line command. I don't use the gui. I use the command prompt program ebook-convert.
That's a new can of worms for me. When I'm not so busy I'll set about figuring out how to use the command line for converting. Thanks for the info.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #60
Clark10
Clark10 began at the beginning.

Quote:
I just tried it, the result was identical to the output of the version I created in the gui, it still had the large left margin.

The only solution I've found is opening the epub in Sigil, identifying the style that's causing the left margin to be so wide and removing it, not ideal if you've got a load of epubs to convert.
Clark10 is offline   Reply With Quote