Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
My first reader was a Sony PRS-350. T-1s came out and I was so disappointed I bought a 2nd PRS-350 as my backup. I'm still with those 2 PRS-350s and very happy with them.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
All the nook family, that's 7. But I only read on the nook glow lately.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I started with the Sony 505, then the Kindle Keyboard with 3G, then the First Generation Kindle Fire. Lately, I no longer use the Sony as I have apps on the Fire so I can read epub, mobi, and azw.

Bright light and outdoors in summer, I prefer to use the KK3G. At all other times, I use and carry the Fire with me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
HYPE
Groupie
HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HYPE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I read on my Kindle NT (black one). Also, I used to own a Nook STR, but sold it about a week ago. If you consider an iPhone 5 and iPad 3 to be ereaders, then I have those as well, but I never use them to read books.
HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Kobo Glo for novels, iPad1 for comics and magazines.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Kobo Glo for novels and iPad/iPhone for quick reading and for anything that looks better in colour or on a bigger page.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #22
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm still hanging onto my PRS-505 for reading (4 years this Christmas).
Have a Pandigital Novel Black - don't use much (only when my 505 needs charged) because it is too bright and the battery life sucks!
My son has an Aluratek Libre Pro but doesn't use it.
Then when Target lowered the prices on the iRiver Story and T1 I bought one of each. But they are both still sitting in their boxes!

Karen
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #23
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
I bought my Bebook about 18 months ago, and a Onyx Boox i62HD a few weeks ago.
I used to read a lot on my Bebook, but to be honest, since I have this high resolution Boox, I haven't touched my Bebook anymore. (Boox is so much faster, smaller print is much easier to read, I can annotate epubs, there is the dictionary....)
I have FBReader on my Android phone, and use that to read when I have some idle time somewhere away from home.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The in famous makes an interesting point. Is an ebook reader a device that allows one to read an ebook or can an app on another device be an ebook reader.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgirl View Post
I see that a lot of people have more than one ereader device. I mean, I have an iPad2 plus a Sony PRS-T1. My iPad2 was not purchased for ereading, but I started to do so and then got a Sony ereader, just for reading.
But I see that others have a Kindle, as well as a Kobo Touch and sometimes even more than two!
Are you reading on different devices, or why do you use more ereaders? Just curious.
I've got some 50 units. Close to 30 tablets and ca. 25 eBook readers.
I've built this collection since 2008.
There was a time (until ca. summer 2010) when I was able to buy every new gadget. I loved the first 2 or 3 days of checking out features and toying around. Now there simply are too many different units and I have to choose.
But I already know about some of the gadgets I have to buy:
Microsoft Surface Pro for sure.
I'll certainly buy about every Kindle that comes out.
I've got more than 700 books from Amazon, so I'll stick to Amazon. Every new Kindle brings some features I'd like to have.
And I have a simple calculation for all my toys: How many hours will I use them in total? What does the original buying price then mean per hour of usage? And usually I end up with a surprisingly small figure.
If I read, let's say, 3 hours per day, that's 1.000 hours per year. If I buy 5 tablets (€ 400 on average x 5) and 5 readers (€ 200 on average x 5) that's just € 3.000 per year = € 3 per hour.
Way cheaper than cinema.
Dramatically cheaper than dinner in a restaurant.
Even if I add the price for an ebook to the equation, it's still one of the cheaper (and more fulfilling) hobbies...
Still: I try to reduce the amount of my gadgets, as I simply loose track which one to charge next.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have a K3 (KK) 3G model. Love it, but my current schedule has me listening to audiobooks on my MP3 player far more than reading text. I own a Sony PRS-350 which my 9-yr old uses and likes quite a bit.
My wife now reads on her smartphone, and our other devices (Fire, iPod, etc) are not used for reading.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Still: I try to reduce the amount of my gadgets, as I simply loose track which one to charge next.
While I don't think I have as many gadgets as you do, I'm quite familiar with the issue.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #28
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Sony PRS-300, kindle Keyboard (K3), Kindle touch, Kindle Paperwhite, iphone 3G and 4, Galaxy Note, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Kindle fire HD or Nexus 7 (tomorrow) and the Kobo glo (Returned after 1 week).

Current devices:

Kindle Paperwhite
Samsung galaxy note
Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1
Nexus 7
iPod touch

Wow that's quite a lot in 2 and a half years.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 01-06-2013 at 06:55 PM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #29
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
-bcgirl, great question, interesting thread.

My first was a kindle keyboard 3g, and I still use it on hot summer days by the pool. I figure if I drop it in the water...oh well. But I havent and it still works as smoothly as the day I got it.

My second was the original Kindle Fire, followed quickly by a Samsung Gtab 10.1. I dont use either of those any more for books because the "flashlight-shining-in-my-face" effect cooks my eyes if I engage those for a long reading session.

My next ereader, my fourth, is a Kindle Paperwhite and I love it. I read with it pretty much daily. For finding books, getting them quickly and pure reading enjoyment I score it an A+.

Curiosity and a desire for a really portable ereader led me to an impulse purchase of the kobo mini. So impressed was I with this little guy that I went out and bought a Kobo Glo so I could synch the two and read the same book in the dark. There are some Kobo features I really enjoy and switching back and forth from Kindle to Kobo is kind of a kick.

So, my final tally is 6. I wont buy another traditional back lit tab to read on but I may one day go for a nook, if they update their dedicated ereader. What would be really cool is for Kindle, Kobo, or Nook (or anyone really) to come out with a ultra portable glo/paperwhite type screen. I would buy at least one of those!

By the way, my count doesn't include the ereaders I've bought my wife - guess what she is getting for Christmas?
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #30
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
The in famous makes an interesting point. Is an ebook reader a device that allows one to read an ebook or can an app on another device be an ebook reader.
Good question. My first e-reader was a Sony PRS 650, then I got a Kobo Vox last year. The Sony hasn't been used much since then, but it still came in handy when we had a very lengthy power outage last summer and I wanted good battery life.

DH won an iPad2 last summer and very kindly handed it to me. I promptly installed reader apps and I found myself doing everything with the iPad that I used to do with the Vox. I ended up only using the Vox so I could read while I was using our elliptical trainer. I did take the Vox on day trips because we have a 110 plug-in in our vehicle, but I eventually found I ended up taking the iPad instead. Increasingly, syncing books on the Kobo app between the 2 devices just wasn't working properly, although it worked wonderfully if I was reading a Kindle book. The Sony ended up by the wayside because it doesn't have wifi.

We're away from home right now and although I brought all 3 reading devices, I haven't even powered up the Sony and the Vox since we left. I'm thinking my next gadget will be an iPad mini, which I think will be my next 'reader'. The iPad is wonderful, but for some things it's kind of big.

So...2 readers and one device I use as a reader.

Last edited by 49Kat; 12-19-2012 at 07:34 PM.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote