Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #61
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegee View Post
Any idea why I would get this error after installing the plugin and attempting a restart?

Code:
Starting up...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 251, in initialize
    self.initialize_db()
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 231, in initialize_db
    self.initialize_db_stage2(db, None)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 200, in initialize_db_stage2
    self.start_gui()
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 151, in start_gui
    main = Main(self.opts)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 102, in __init__
    mod, cls = action.actual_plugin.split(':')
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'
Calibre won't start at all until I remove the plugin, (which luckily can be done with the command calibre-customize -r 'Create Kindle Collections' )

I'm running v0.7.17, and no I can't upgrade to the latest version at the moment...
You need the latest version of Calibre v.7.43
Old 01-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #62
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegee View Post
Any idea why I would get this error after installing the plugin and attempting a restart?

I'm running v0.7.17, and no I can't upgrade to the latest version at the moment...
You need a more recent version of Calibre. The main plugin thread says 0.7.34 is needed for the plugins so I assume it wasn't until then that plugins were fully supported, at least the way we're using them. I've only tested on 7.40.

Hopefully you can upgrade and try again, if there isn't an issue causing you not to upgrade.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:49 AM   #63
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random43743 View Post
Would it be possible to create collections only by certain tags from a list? (e.g. Non-fiction, Romance, Classic literature, Fantasy, …) and leave all other tags aside?
You can set it up to include tags, and then define a list of tags to ignore. Now, this works well if you only have a few to ignore, but I know every time I download tags from the net I get a ton of them that I usually cleanup. But if you keep them or use a lot, then this might not be the best way.

I'll give some thought to adding an include only certain tags option along with the ignore certain tags option.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #64
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I had the same issue. I guess the header is corrupt or in a format the code can't understand. I just ran a convert Mobi to Mobi on the file in Calibre and resent it to the device and the plugin no longer gives me a warning and it shows up in a collection.

I assume you got a Warning dialog stating that the Mobi format was corrupt when running the plugin?
Yes, I got the warning. I was so excited I forgot to mention that. Another user mentioned some Baen books that got left out on theirs. I'm willing to bet the books that get left out have the same problem that you suspect - .prc mobi files with bad headers. Maybe add something to the first post about doing prc>mobi conversions on any "problem" files that pop up.

I know I'm repeating myself here, but your plugin is amazing. Nearly every solution prior to this had problems, usually with Amazon-embedded ASINS. Yours does not have this issue.

It didn't take as long as I thought it would to wrangle the Active Content and dictionaries after restarting the Kindle. If you can find a way to work with them, great, but if not, it's not as much of a problem as I expected it to be.

Looks like many of the problems users are running into so far are syntax issues in the tweaks, which is common. I did so myself the second test run, but I spotted the problem immediately. It's so easy to leave out a comma, or miss a period in a pattern entry. The thing is, how often do most people change the way they set up their collections? I'm not a good example, because I tend to tweak my organizational systems till they scream; most people probably find a system they like and stick with it. Once they get it working properly, they're done for a while. While I was initially in favor of a GUI, I now prefer the flexibility of the tweak method instead, because I've started to fully appreciate the ability to use user-created columns and the "ignore" options. It allows a rather extensive configuration to be created that would be hard to easily capture in a GUI interface. I didn't really "get it" until I started playing with it.

Just a thought - Since some people would probably prefer a GUI, perhaps two versions? A "tweak" version for power users and a GUI version with basic options for those who prefer it - the common "author, tag, series" options with minimums, perhaps.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #65
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Just a thought - Since some people would probably prefer a GUI, perhaps two versions? A "tweak" version for power users and a GUI version with basic options for those who prefer it - the common "author, tag, series" options with minimums, perhaps.
Since I am kinda slow at this stuff, the GUI version would be great for me. And much appreciated, as all of everyone's work is.

David.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #66
peegee
Enthusiast
peegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Quote:
You need a more recent version of Calibre. The main plugin thread says 0.7.34 is needed for the plugins so I assume it wasn't until then that plugins were fully supported, at least the way we're using them. I've only tested on 7.40.

Hopefully you can upgrade and try again, if there isn't an issue causing you not to upgrade.
Ah OK. I thought I had an older version of Qt on my system, but when I checked I found I have Qt 4.6 (forgot I had updated my KDE a few months ago) so I was able to upgrade to the latest Calibre v0.7.43 no problem.

Your plugin works great! I had no problem tweaking the settings to only create collections for series or authors with 3 or more books in them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 01-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #67
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by random43743 View Post
I have about 400 Books and a multitude of tags. I usually download "social metadata" and keep the tags. I just add my own tags.

Would it be possible to create collections only by certain tags from a list? (e.g. Non-fiction, Romance, Classic literature, Fantasy, …) and leave all other tags aside?

imo tags are a lot easier to edit than custom columns, but i do tag about contents that i would not create my collections on.
I've been thinking about your issue but I can't think of an easy way to do what you would like to do. In my case, I have 66 total unique tags, but only 48 that I wanted collections from. Rather than editing the metadata for the individual books, I appended "-nocollect" (could be -nc or even -n) to the tags I didn't want collections for (from the tag browser - right-click>rename) and added that as an ends-with pattern in the ignore list. This worked for me, but if you have a significant number of "unwanted" tags it could be tedious.

I know you prefer not to use custom columns, but if you did add a custom "genre" column, you could then filter your list to the books already containing "Romance" tag, for example, and edit the custom metadata for all of those in one go. Still tedious, but at least you'd be working with groups of books rather than individual books.

My suggestions may be no help at all, and you may have already considered all of this, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #68
alexdud
alexdud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Could you give an example of how you want your collections to look or how your title's look.

The plugin can create a collection for any name found in the authors column, any series name found in the series column, any word(s) found in most columns.
George Lucas ------------------------------ collection name by authors
˫Star Wars 1- The Phantom Menace --- series name+
˫Star Wars 2- Attack of the Clones ----- series number+
˫Star Wars 3- Revenge of the Sith ------ book title = Titles of books in the collections

Kindle displays only the book title and author of series are not consecutive, need sorting books within collections by series and series number . To do this, add to the title of a book series title with a number.

Sorry for my English writing through a translator.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #69
Aidan
Aidan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
I just want to add my thanks. This Plug-in has been brilliant, and the tweaks work perfectly, allowing me to make the exact collections I want. As I have over 900 novels on the kindle this has saved me alot of time. Thanks again
Old 01-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #70
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:
Thanks for testing and asking. Good to see it works even with large collections. Does it take long to run, or does it take the Kindle longer to restart with so many in collections?

Looks like you need a "," at the end of the authors line. That's the problem with having to use code for customising at the moment...
Works wonderfully now - it's always the little things

This is what I'm currently using in combo with an plugboard for placing series info in a book title.

################################################
# Create Kindle Collections Plugin tweaks
#
# Calibre column names to include in collections, text to prepend for sorting, and
# minimum number of books needed for a column before creating a collection
create_kindle_collections_usecolumns = {
"tags": [ "__", 1 ],
"series": [ "_", 2 ],
"author_sort": [ "", 1 ],
"read_status": ["___", 1]
}
create_kindle_collections_ignore = [
"No-Col.*"
]
################################################## ##

I eliminated the space as it confused my k3 which would no longer do the go to beginning of "k" or "s" ... trick if some of the files were - title rather than -title when in title mode.

I also chose to use characters that would sort in the same order whether I was creating a collection for a kindle with firmware 2.5 or 3.0 as I had previously discovered that they didn't prioritize special characters the same.

The minute plus for the collection manager to run & the several minutes for the kindle to re-start are nothing compared to manually creating collections.

I'm quite content with making changes using tweaks rather than a gui, but that's just me.

Thanks so much for this plugin!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #71
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdud View Post
Kindle displays only the book title and author of series are not consecutive, need sorting books within collections by series and series number . To do this, add to the title of a book series title with a number.

Sorry for my English writing through a translator.
Ah. This is exactly what I do. You need to use another amazing feature of Calibre called a "plugboard".

See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118563 - I think what you want is the first example.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:14 AM   #72
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
This is what I'm currently using in combo with an plugboard for placing series info in a book title.
That plugboard is invaluable

Quote:
"tags": [ "__", 1 ],
"series": [ "_", 2 ],
"author_sort": [ "", 1 ],
"read_status": ["___", 1]

I eliminated the space as it confused my k3 which would no longer do the go to beginning of "k" or "s" ... trick if some of the files were - title rather than -title when in title mode.
Interesting to know about the go to beginning trick (I've used search, but not jump to the beginning - do you do anything special to do this?)

I see you used "_" and "__" - I originally had this and wasn't sure about the indents. Maybe I'll add it as an example, and also remove the spaces from examples since they're easy for people to add in and not easy to see onscreen.
Quote:
I also chose to use characters that would sort in the same order whether I was creating a collection for a kindle with firmware 2.5 or 3.0 as I had previously discovered that they didn't prioritize special characters the same.
Also good to know - great to see this being tested on the K2, thanks.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #73
alexdud
alexdud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Ah. This is exactly what I do. You need to use another amazing feature of Calibre called a "plugboard".

See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118563 - I think what you want is the first example.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #74
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle

This is an awesome tool, thanks very much for this. AFAIK, the previous GUI tools only ran on windows, and my collections were simply not important enough to me to fire up my vm on my Mac

I was able to get my series into collections successfully (I commented it out below 'cos I'm trying to work on the samples), but I have had no luck with my custom columns. Like others have mentioned, I have way too many tags to create collections based that way, so I'm trying to create custom columns for the tags I care about. For example, I have a tag for "sample", so I created a text based custom column, that I set to "sample", if a book had that tag. My tweaks are copied & pasted below. If I comment out all but the "sample" column, I get an error that no collections were created.

I'm sure I'm missing something stupid, but I'm not seeing it.

Code:
#
# Calibre column names to include in collections, text to prepend for sorting, and 
#    "tags": [ "- ", 1 ],
#    "series": [ "_ ", 1 ],
   "sample": [ "~ ", 1 ],
#    "authors": [ "~ ", 1 ]
}
# Collection names or patterns to ignore (e.g. [ "ignorethis", ".*Ignore.*" ]
create_kindle_collections_ignore = [ ]
####################################################
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #75
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I have created a custom column:

Look Up: collections
Column Heading: In Collection
Column Type: text, with a fixed set of permitted values
Values: To Be Read,Author: Christine Feehan, etc.

Tweek

#
"collections": [ "- ", 1 ]
}
################################################## ##

Hope this helps.
Closed Thread