Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-06-2020, 12:02 AM   #1
draw2much
draw2much began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Poke 2
Covers, nice ones!

Onyx is a niche eReader tablet which means finding nice covers is really hit or miss. Mostly it's miss. I couldn't buy the official cover because my timing was bad and it was sold out. The alternatives were just... ugh. I mean, if you like the color black or hot pink, there are options. They pretty much all had a dollar-store quality to them but were priced at $10-$20 or were sold from dubious stores that I fear might infect my card.

I thought, well, if I'm being overcharged no matter what I do, I might as well run with it and get something that's actually nice.

So I did!

The seller doesn't, technically, make covers for Onyx tablets. Originally I was just going to get one designed for a Kobo Glo (which has dimensions similar to the Poke 2). But when I messaged the seller to ask about whether they thought it would fit, they said they'd make one custom for my Poke 2, no extra charge.

They make covers for tablets up to 10 inches. Which means you should be able to message the seller and request a custom case for even the large BOOX tablets.

The quality is really nice. It's made of cloth on the outside, velvet on the inside, and has an elastic ribbon to keep it closed. They either use a thin piece of wood or plastic to keep the case rigid, it has very little bend. While it won't stop any bullets, it should prevent scratching (from, say, keys in my purse) and cracking (from small drops). You can have it attached on the inside with either corner straps or velcro. I chose velcro since my Poke 2 has thin sides. It adds a small amount of weight, but not very much.

Most importantly it's not black. Or hot pink, or some other obnoxious color. They have a wide variety of styles, with more neutral (masculine) colors available.

These aren't cheap covers. But I already paid a premium price for a 6" eReader, why be picky about the cover? At least I'm getting what I paid for!

I thought other people, who either have money to waste or are willing to pay more for a quality cover for their BOOX, would be interested in knowing about these tablet covers.

Last edited by draw2much; 10-06-2020 at 12:05 AM.
draw2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Onyx Boox Nova
I have Boox Nova and I would like to get a cover too. Actually I like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH8OSYt6rZw but it is for iPad Pro.

The reason I like this is because:
1. It is very easy to remove the device (magnetic). Actually I can add several magnets on the back of my Nova to get the same effect.
2. It can stand (The original cover is just so original). But I can mod the original cover using this one
Click image for larger version

Name:	260699a88c3da323.gif
Views:	137
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	182505

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-06-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: oversize image
winstonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
winstonma
Zealot
winstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windowswinstonma format shifts faster than booting Windows

You can add the stand so you can put the device on the table and read

This is for laptop but you can stick one at the back of the cover.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
winstonma
Zealot

But at the same time I wonder why there is no case that can let me put the reader on the table and read. Like this:

There should be some folio case for Onyx Boox.

Last edited by winstonma; 10-06-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Botanicalstig
Botanicalstig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
This was a serious dilemma for me.. I ended up buying 4 different cases. They were either too floppy, thin, or they held down the power button.

Here is the one I ended up with for my nova 2 (see my pics in the review section). It looks nicer in person. The panels are very rigid, but no padding. The material is kind of seat-beltish... But it's not too bad. Thought about grabbing a spare and trying to "reupholster" it.
https://amazon.com/Case-Logic-UFOL-2...dp/B00DDK2UR0/

I had such a nice case for my kindle keyboard (made by m-edge). Rigid panels, padded leather, suede on the inside. Felt so good to hold while reading. Nothing like that seems to exist anymore. M edge does still have leather cases, but they are colorful, supposed to look like sneakers I guess.. Also, they use the strap system to hold it in place... Which will click your power button while you are reading.
Botanicalstig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
winstonma
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botanicalstig View Post
This was a serious dilemma for me.. I ended up buying 4 different cases. They were either too floppy, thin, or they held down the power button.

Here is the one I ended up with for my nova 2 (see my pics in the review section). It looks nicer in person. The panels are very rigid, but no padding. The material is kind of seat-beltish... But it's not too bad. Thought about grabbing a spare and trying to "reupholster" it.

I had such a nice case for my kindle keyboard (made by m-edge). Rigid panels, padded leather, suede on the inside. Felt so good to hold while reading. Nothing like that seems to exist anymore. M edge does still have leather cases, but they are colorful, supposed to look like sneakers I guess.. Also, they use the strap system to hold it in place... Which will click your power button while you are reading.
I don't like that three tablet holders but I like the cover that it can stand.

I guess I need to look for the universal case.

Last edited by winstonma; 10-15-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botanicalstig View Post
I wonder why the beige costs 250% of the price of the others.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
zhivchik
zhivchik began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Are there any large folio covers out there with built-in Bluetooth keyboards, that would fit Max devices? I have seen plenty of 12.9 ipad pro covers but they will probably be a tad small.
zhivchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
Botanicalstig
Botanicalstig began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
I wonder why the beige costs 250% of the price of the others.
I wondered that myself. I couldn't find it anywhere other than Amazon (out of stock, anyway). I think they discontinued it. I picked mine up from target.
Botanicalstig is offline   Reply With Quote