Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
LiaComputer
LiaComputer began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any way to jailbreak PW2 on 5.11.1.1, model dp75sdi?

I want a jailbroken e-Ink Kindle and bought this pw (used). Now I cannot find a way to do this. Is it possible? If not, which kinds/versions of e-Inks Kindle can be jailbroken? Thanks very much.
LiaComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Only by using the serial port. (Open case and connect adapter wires to serial port pads. See serial port jailbreak threads.

For the current jailbreakable hardware firmware combinations, see the various software jailbreak threads.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:23 AM   #3
LiaComputer

Thank you.

I will buy another. I see a pw3 with 5.9.6.1. I want to turn the lighting off completely and use it with only room-lighting. My eyes are extremely sensitive and I think this will be better in my case, for long use.

I found a post from 2012 to do this: install USB Network Hack, ssh to Kindle PW, and add a line to /etc/crontab/root

I will first add a blocker directory (update.bin.tmp.partial) to the top level of visible USB storage.

Does anyone have any other ideas that I should keep in mind?

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:30 AM   #4
LiaComputer

Suggestions for how to hire?

If possible, I'd prefer to hire someone to do this. Does anyone have ideas about an appropriate budget, or how to find someone? I live in NY state and would mail the device to them. I'd buy a different device/version if needed.

I do not need the jailbreak for any other reason. I only want an e-Ink kindle that I can use with the lighting in it totally and permanently turned off.

Many thanks again.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaComputer View Post
I will buy another. I see a pw3 with 5.9.6.1. I want to turn the lighting off completely and use it with only room-lighting. My eyes are extremely sensitive and I think this will be better in my case, for long use.

I found a post from 2012 to do this: install USB Network Hack, ssh to Kindle PW, and add a line to /etc/crontab/root

I will first add a blocker directory (update.bin.tmp.partial) to the top level of visible USB storage.

Does anyone have any other ideas that I should keep in mind?

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.
That sounds like a very good way towards reaching your goal.
Jump on that device before somebody else finds that jb-able Kindle.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
If possible, I'd prefer to hire someone to do this. Does anyone have ideas about an appropriate budget, or how to find someone? I live in NY state and would mail the device to them. I'd buy a different device/version if needed.

I do not need the jailbreak for any other reason. I only want an e-Ink kindle that I can use with the lighting in it totally and permanently turned off.
Please note, the light can be completely turned off on PW4 and new basic Kindle 2019 (with frontlight). I checked inside a dark closet and no light whatsoever on either with brightness set to zero. No jailbreak required.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
LiaComputer

That sounds great

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Please note, the light can be completely turned off on PW4 and new basic Kindle 2019 (with frontlight). I checked inside a dark closet and no light whatsoever on either with brightness set to zero. No jailbreak required.
That sounds great! Yesterday I called Amazon support and asked if any kindles have the ability to have the lighting totally off while they are being used, and they said no. They said that there is still a little light emitted when the brightness is set as low as possible, on all kindles, and that the lights were only completely off when the device is turned off.

Thank you for checking this. The 2019 basic sounds perfect for me. I think I will try it.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- - - - -

Thank you for checking this. The 2019 basic sounds perfect for me. I think I will try it.
The "Basic" Kindle does not have a lighted screen.
You can't get much more "off" than that.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The "Basic" Kindle does not have a lighted screen.
It does now.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It does now.
Oh, wow, I missed a new product release.

The term "Basic" has disappeared.
The term "all new Kindle" has returned (last seen @ PW2 IIRC).

3G (or 4G) is not available (like the KT2, KT3).
From the pictures, it looks to me that it uses the IR scanner rather than the capacitive touchscreen (like KT2, KT3).
It has Bluetooth (like the KT2, KT3).
The screen is 167ppi (like the KT2, KT3, IIRC).

Which all makes me think this is the new "Basic Touch" ...
That is, the KT4

I don't see any model serial numbers listed for it (yet):
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

So if anyone gets one, please post the first six characters of the serial number.
We need that information to revise KindleTool so we can build packages for the new KT4.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:45 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oh, hai!

The rest is also essentially ready, they just happened to fix the installHtml thingy, so, meh.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
G091 0L03 (US with Special Offers)
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #13
Arthur233
Arthur233 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch n905c
ya algun otro metodo para el jailbreak de este modelo modelo dp75sdi
Arthur233 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-ink, jailbreak, models