Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you don't need to sort by filename. There are lots of other ways to sort the eBooks.
Did you bother to read the post that you replied to? They want to sort by filename. They *don't* want to install and use Calibre. The Kobo software would *not* do what the OP wants.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For series sorting you need Calibre, which the OP doesn't use. So a Kobo wouldn't do what they want either.
Where did the OP says he's adverse to using Calibre since it will do part of what he wants?

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-08-2020 at 06:21 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:29 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Where did the OP says he's adverse to using Calibre since it will do part of what he wants?
The OP was over 8 years ago. The current conversation, in which you have already made 3 non-helpful posts began with the post quoted below. The 3rd paragraph begins:
"Not likely I am installing Calibre"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephestione View Post
I am reading the Dresden Files, and after reaching half of the "second" book (or rather what I THOUGHT was the second book of the series), I found out that I actually had read the sixth book for starters ("Blood rites"), and I am currently reading the twelfth book ("Changes")... I then checkd if the file names were botched, but instead they are corretly named "author - order number - title".
I then proceeded to try and see if I could order (or rather, sort) by file name, and no, you can't. I was already set to "recent", and trying "author" and "title" helped nothing.
I then found this thread which is EIGHT YEARS OLD, and I had my "ooohhh" moment after suspecting that already.

Really comforting to notice that in 8 years time they couldn't be disturbed to frigging add a "sort by file name" function! That is just stupid to a whole new order of magnitude.

Not likely I am installing Calibre, moving all the books from the kindle back to my pc, and learn how to use the wildcards to update the metadata for that before copying them over again.

I'll just settle reading all the series that I neatly have ordered by filename, in a seemingly random order.

STUPID KINDLE SOFTWARE.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 05:02 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP is the person who posted the first message in the thread. The message that's being referred to is not from the OP. That's why we are talking about two different posts.

I don't know if there's a term for the post that revives an old thread.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:06 AM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
The OP is the person who posted the first message in the thread. The message that's being referred to is not from the OP. That's why we are talking about two different posts.

Necropost?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:39 AM   #21
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:

Yes...but the message that you replied to, the one where you suggested getting a Kobo and using Calibre, is the one that *specifically* said that they are not interested in Calibre.

Read it again, starting with post #6.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #22
ephestione
ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Wow I spawned an energetic exchange of opinions! this is exciting

Having I shelled 110€ back then for my 3rd (or was it 4th?) generation paperwhite, which does exactly the basic stuff (letting me read and staying powered long enough between charges) I do not intend to buy a Kobo (which was indeed among my options before I bought the kindle, but was more expensive and less "powerful", hardware wise) because I would need to learn something new, spend more money, and re-sell my kindle for next to nothing...
Any high level programming language allows for extremely easy "sort by name" coding, my objection towards the kindle firmware is that they wouldn't bother adding that, "so we can keep pushing our own market system not giving sideloading guys any benefits that would be extremely cheap to us anyway".
In the end I will work around it by keeping a "book order.txt" on my kindle, instead of going through a device switch that wouldn't even solve the basic missig feature, still...

I hope I made myself clear, yet it was more venting that anything else.

STUPID KINDLE FIRMWARE

ephestione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:05 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Having I shelled 110€ back then for my 3rd (or was it 4th?) generation paperwhite, which does exactly the basic stuff (letting me read and staying powered long enough between charges) I do not intend to buy a Kobo (which was indeed among my options before I bought the kindle, but was more expensive and less "powerful", hardware wise) because I would need to learn something new, spend more money, and re-sell my kindle for next to nothing...
Any high level programming language allows for extremely easy "sort by name" coding, my objection towards the kindle firmware is that they wouldn't bother adding that, "so we can keep pushing our own market system not giving sideloading guys any benefits that would be extremely cheap to us anyway".
In the end I will work around it by keeping a "book order.txt" on my kindle, instead of going through a device switch that wouldn't even solve the basic missig feature, still...

STUPID KINDLE FIRMWARE

Jailbreak your Kindle and install KoReader if you are so addicted to technology that was old in the 1980s. Though KoReader will use the calibre metadata store to allow searching.

Admittedly I'm using a Kobo which has series sort and can search on title, author, series, subtitle, etc. which makes locating a book in a 11K ebook collection a lot faster than trying to find a book by filename. Especially when I consider I have many series with multiple authors where search is the only usable solution. Take a look at the 1632 series where the main line runs to 26 books with 15 authors involved.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:11 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jailbreak your Kindle and install KoReader if you are so addicted to technology that was old in the 1980s. Though KoReader will use the calibre metadata store to allow searching.

Admittedly I'm using a Kobo which has series sort and can search on title, author, series, subtitle, etc. which makes locating a book in a 11K ebook collection a lot faster than trying to find a book by filename. Especially when I consider I have many series with multiple authors where search is the only usable solution. Take a look at the 1632 series where the main line runs to 26 books with 15 authors involved.
And there is the Wild Card series where there are different authors/editors and that can be messy on a Kindle.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:12 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

STUPID KINDLE FIRMWARE

Given that you don't like your Kindle, why did you buy it?
Old 09-18-2020, 02:24 AM   #26
ephestione
ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.ephestione put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Given that you don't like your Kindle, why did you buy it?
I am not a smart man I suppose :'(

How is someone even supposed to know that the Amazon device with good reviews all around he's about to buy does not, and will not, have any entry-level-dont-even-need-to-ask sort by filename feature that he will need years in the future when he'll copy over a collection of neatly named yet tag-less books?

When I buy a car I focus on every kind of spec except if it's got a cigarette lighter or a USB port, because in its own importance I'm giving for granted that a car has at least a cigarette lighter in it... I'm also bound to ignore the absence of said feature when I jump in the new car until, the flame of excitement quenched, I finally need to use the bloody thing and go looking for it only to be royally disappointed.

Never happened to you with anything?

Last edited by ephestione; 09-18-2020 at 02:27 AM.
ephestione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I am not a smart man I suppose :'(

How is someone even supposed to know that the Amazon device with good reviews all around he's about to buy does not, and will not, have any entry-level-dont-even-need-to-ask sort by filename feature that he will need years in the future when he'll copy over a collection of neatly named yet tag-less books?
I would be tempted to suggest using calibre and importing the books with "set metadata from filename" and a template. Update the metadata into the ebooks and away you go.

And yes, I get a laugh out of people who worry about the filenames and not the embedded metadata when it comes to ebooks. I download ebooks from Kobo and the filenames look like GUIDs (abe6e8a9-a697-44f0-9ee9-5eaaafb340d9-epub-24815bd7-efef-4f68-8afa-ed111a911de2.epub as an example) and from Amazon where the filenames look like B08CSBGDQB_EBOK.azw. Yet there are few issues with reading the metadata to get the title and author and for epub3 ebooks, the series name and index.

I got bored with using filenames quite a few decades back. You may enjoy creating convoluted directory structures with links (hard, soft, sym, your choice) to allow books to exist in multiple spots without needing multiple physical copies but after a few decades, you realize that easier solutions exist. I went with a homebrewed database back in the 90's originally using FoxPro. It's been a decade since I moved from my homebrewed solution to calibre, a move which I have rarely regretted.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:11 AM   #28
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Quote:
I am reading the Dresden Files, and after reaching half of the "second" book (or rather what I THOUGHT was the second book of the series), I found out that I actually had read the sixth book for starters ("Blood rites"), and I am currently reading the twelfth book ("Changes")... I then checkd if the file names were botched, but instead they are corretly named "author - order number - title".
I then proceeded to try and see if I could order (or rather, sort) by file name, and no, you can't. I was already set to "recent", and trying "author" and "title" helped nothing.
I then found this thread which is EIGHT YEARS OLD, and I had my "ooohhh" moment after suspecting that already.

Really comforting to notice that in 8 years time they couldn't be disturbed to frigging add a "sort by file name" function! That is just stupid to a whole new order of magnitude.

Not likely I am installing Calibre, moving all the books from the kindle back to my pc, and learn how to use the wildcards to update the metadata for that before copying them over again.

I'll just settle reading all the series that I neatly have ordered by filename, in a seemingly random order.

STUPID KINDLE SOFTWARE.
Welcome to the world of NPCs!

I am reading lots of articles on kindle, which I send from browser extensions. Sometimes the filename needs to be renamed, for referencing work later.

The good thing is: probably everyone defending the Amazon authority, has the clotshot and is boosted...

Somehow this horrible development of humans becoming NPCs will be resolved sooner or later.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote