Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #1
grixit
grixit began at the beginning.

Device: pc
Cover templates

I've tried the Generate Cover plug in, but it doesn't do what i want.

I was wondering if there was a way to add additional templates to the standard cover generator.
grixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by grixit View Post
I've tried the Generate Cover plug in, but it doesn't do what i want.

I was wondering if there was a way to add additional templates to the standard cover generator.
What do you want to do? Generate cover has options , if only you knew what to do.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you want to get fancy and make your own templates and then save the final covers as a jpeg or png, a good option is Affinity Designer:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/#buy

I suspect that it does everything that Adobe Illustrator does but unlike Illustrator you pay only once for Affinity Designer, no subscription crap.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #4
grixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What do you want to do? Generate cover has options , if only you knew what to do.
The plugin has options but they aren't very flexible. What i want is to be able to create an image with associated markup code that places the fields from the book entry.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
grixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If you want to get fancy and make your own templates and then save the final covers as a jpeg or png, a good option is Affinity Designer:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/#buy

I suspect that it does everything that Adobe Illustrator does but unlike Illustrator you pay only once for Affinity Designer, no subscription crap.
I have everything i need to make images. What i want is to be able to add them to the built in generate cover feature.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:15 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The plugin has options but they aren't very flexible. What i want is to be able to create an image with associated markup code that places the fields from the book entry.
My confusion:

I use the USER Plugin "generate custom cover". (It is listed in the Get Plugins)

You set the Background image (the cover canvas), then set it to place (a limited) selection of fields (you can choose fonts).
Old 09-14-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
grixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
My confusion:

I use the USER Plugin "generate custom cover". (It is listed in the Get Plugins)

You set the Background image (the cover canvas), then set it to place (a limited) selection of fields (you can choose fonts).
Sure, but that's one at a time, and it's limited to just saying how far from the top to place things and what font to use.

What i want to do is add additional templates to the built in generate cover feature so that it will automatically pull up fields for the current book and place them on the cover.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can do that already, long click the generate cover button in the edit metadata dialog and customize the templates under the text tab to your hearts content, pulling in whatever metadata fields you like. But note that you can have atmost three, title, sub-title and footer
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:38 AM   #9
grixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can do that already, long click the generate cover button in the edit metadata dialog and customize the templates under the text tab to your hearts content, pulling in whatever metadata fields you like. But note that you can have atmost three, title, sub-title and footer
That's nothing like what i want to do.

I guess i'm not making myself clear so let me try and explain it at length.

Right now, if you use the generate cover function, it chooses from several cover forms, and color combinations.

I want to add my own. Is that clear enough?

Let's say i create a cover image that's pale lavender with a blue oval at the top and a green square in the lower right. I want to be able to add that to the generate cover feature so that when i apply it to a new book, it will be able to use that cover, putting the title in the oval, and the author in the square.

So to return to my question: is there a way to do that?
Old 09-16-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
That's nothing like what i want to do.

I guess i'm not making myself clear so let me try and explain it at length.

Right now, if you use the generate cover function, it chooses from several cover forms, and color combinations.

I want to add my own. Is that clear enough?

Let's say i create a cover image that's pale lavender with a blue oval at the top and a green square in the lower right. I want to be able to add that to the generate cover feature so that when i apply it to a new book, it will be able to use that cover, putting the title in the oval, and the author in the square.

Why have you not tried the PLUGIN?
You make you background image (pale lavender, with the oval and square placed). then you use the PI settings to place the fields on top them

The PI stores as many images as you want, and stores the placement templates. You select the combination, the generate
Old 09-17-2020, 04:13 PM   #11
grixit

I have tried the plugin. It doesn't do what i want and it requires manual operation each time.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Yes, write the code for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, write the code for it.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote