Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-22-2020, 02:33 AM   #1
Isonoe
Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Isonoe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Recommendations for a newbie

Well, hello. My name is Sophie and I'm a totally newbie as an e-reader. I'm used to read books, specially because I live far away from where I work and the way there is long, so I have plenty of time to read. Problem is, taking a book with me everywhere it's getting uncomfortable, since I'm reading really long books (for example, I'm reading The Priory of the Orange Tree right now). It's quite heavy and I don't like to have it in the desk because my boss is really strict with any possible distraction (we work at the HR department of a huge company and we often receive visitors). So, I'm thinking about getting a eBook. Any recommendations for a first timer? I don't have a problem with the budget, even though I wouldn't like to spend too much money since I'm just "trying it" right now. Thank you in advance.
Isonoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:45 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you have a smart phone, just get the Kindle app and see how you get on with that. Otherwise, I'd suggest trying out the basic Kindle and see how you like it.

Advice might be different depending on which country you live in.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I'd suggest you buy a Kindle Paperwhite 4' with 8 gigabytes, and with or without ads.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:43 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Kobo's Clara is more or less the equivalent of the 8GB PW4, but if you like the idea of page turn buttons, I'd strongly recommend the Kobo Libra - the same screen size as the only Kindle with page buttons (the Oasis), but around 2/3 the price. I switched from a series of Paperwhites to Kobos a couple of years ago and have just upgraded to a Libra, absolutely loving it. Depending on where you are, one Kobo feature that may be of interest is built-in Overdrive, allowing you borrow library books directly on your reader. In my country, Kindle does not offer this feature, and it was one reason I switched.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I agree with Uncle Robin and recommend the Kobo Libra H2O.

In the US, the Kindle Paperwhite is $129.99. But the Koo Libra is $169.96 from Walmart. The Kindle is only a 6" screen while the Kobo is a 7" screen. a 7" screen is nicer for reading then a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:09 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If your not sure about what screen size you want, try a reading app in landscape mode (setting margins) on your phone to see what size ereader you want.

Personally, I like a 6" (diagonal, 4:3 ratio). That gives me ~3.5" (with narrow margins) of text and my phone is 4.5" wide in landscape: so I would set margins in the phone reading app to get down to 3.5" to simulate reading on a 6" reader.

Good luck.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:31 PM   #7
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isonoe View Post
I don't have a problem with the budget, even though I wouldn't like to spend too much money since I'm just "trying it" right now. Thank you in advance.
I recommend trying out the mobile/tablet app of an e-book platform first.

I recommend Kobo, as their e-readers support more file formats and Adobe Digital Editions DRM should you decide to buy e-books from other websites, and supports OverDrive for if you're in a supported region and you're already a member of a public library whose system supports that.

Kindle, on the other hand, has limited file format support and Amazon's proprietary DRM, but at the same time, supports Goodreads (depending on your region), and their own "X-Ray" feature which only some books support. However, their mobile/tablet app is much nicer, but Kobo is trying to improve theirs.

If you want to try both, I recommend downloading samples (Kindle) or previews (Kobo) so that you can try out the reading experiences for yourself.

I have both Kobo and Kindle e-readers, so I can provide screenshots if you want to see certain things, on the e-readers (specifically Clara HD and K7 Paperwhite with their latest respective firmwares) and/or tablet app (specifically the Android versions, as I don't have a modern Apple device). I can also provide size comparison photos, but that's a little hard for me to explain here, so I can explain that in another reply if you want.

I understand that your reading interests are more mainstream and very different to mine. For reading books that are in the format of what I refer to as regular novels, I'd recommend an e-reader with a 7" display, like a Kobo Libra H2O or Kindle Oasis, as the display size is close to that of smaller print books, or if you want to get even closer to the size of print books, I recommend the Kobo Forma. However, 6" e-readers can also work if you want something more compact. (on a side note, for Kindle, I recommend skipping the basic model as it has an awful resolution in my opinion, while the Paperwhite and Clara HD have 300ppi displays where text displays almost as sharp as print editions)

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 09-24-2020 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Changed 7.8" to 7" in last paragraph + added info about Kobo Forma + changed "a paperback" to "smaller print books"
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:57 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardOrMayo View Post
For reading books that are in the format of what I refer to as regular novels, I'd recommend an e-reader with a 7.8" display, like a Kobo Libra H2O or Kindle Oasis,
Both the Libra and the Oasis have a 7-inch display, not a 7.8 inch. The Kobo Forma has an 8 inch display
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:00 AM   #9
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Both the Libra and the Oasis have a 7-inch display, not a 7.8 inch. The Kobo Forma has an 8 inch display
Oh, oops. I must've forgotten, or must've been thinking about my Likebook Muses, which is 7.8".
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I'd say try the Kindle Paperwhite or the Kobo Clara. Buth are nice readers. If you are a newbie, you will likely just buy books on your reader, so don't worry about file formats and the other stuff people here are mentioning. Just get a reader and try it.

If you would like to save a litte money, you could buy the basic Kindle or the Kobo Nia. They cost a little less and are still decent.

I would recommend an e-ink reader over reading on a phone or tablet. Reading on one of those would NEVER have convinced me to read ebooks. The black and white e-ink screen really does make a difference.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I prefer a larger then 6" screen. So go for the Kobo Libra H2O with a 7" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:11 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

I would recommend an e-ink reader over reading on a phone or tablet. Reading on one of those would NEVER have convinced me to read ebooks. The black and white e-ink screen really does make a difference.
Same here.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:49 AM   #13
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isonoe View Post
Well, hello. My name is Sophie and I'm a totally newbie as an e-reader. I'm used to read books, specially because I live far away from where I work and the way there is long, so I have plenty of time to read. Problem is, taking a book with me everywhere it's getting uncomfortable, since I'm reading really long books (for example, I'm reading The Priory of the Orange Tree right now). It's quite heavy and I don't like to have it in the desk because my boss is really strict with any possible distraction (we work at the HR department of a huge company and we often receive visitors). So, I'm thinking about getting a eBook. Any recommendations for a first timer? I don't have a problem with the budget, even though I wouldn't like to spend too much money since I'm just "trying it" right now. Thank you in advance.
Hi I was like you, i was a true paper book fan and didnt want to turn to the dark side lol so we bought a refubished sony one a good few years ago to see if i liked it off ebay for c£50 after a year i realised i loved it and in the uk i liked the ability to borrow books off the library so that limited me to kobo i now am on my 3rd (upgrades each time 1st upgrade for an inbuild light, 2nd upgrade for more space and comfort light)

i would recommend a kobo i have the aura h20 2nd edition woudl recommend kobo over kindle but would suggest buy a second hand one off ebay to see if you like it etc first
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote