Device: Nook
[SOLVED] UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD METADATA

Moderator Notice

This problem has been solved.
See this post from Kovid Goyal
==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=63

BR

Hi everyone,
Not sure why all of a sudden I'm unable to download metadata. Screenshot attached. Here are the details of the message:

calibre, version 3.31.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 289, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 102, in single_identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 79, in patch_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 62, in patch_search_engines
File "<string>", line 11, in <module>
ImportError: No module named polyglot.builtins

Please help. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled picture.png
Views:	501
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	166185  

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.
nwgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
netromo
netromo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've got the exact same problem. Same error message.
netromo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm having the exact same error as above, on a Portable install. Worked fine last night, and nothing has been changed / updated on my end since then.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
lazarus1907
lazarus1907 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Same here

A nearly identical thing happened to me today, of all a sudden. None of my computers can use this download feature that was working fine this morning, and I haven't installed or uninstalled anything. In fact, when I encountered the problem, I tried uninstalling the Calibre, and even my anti-virus, but it didn't work; then I realised that none of my other computers work either.

I've tried playing with the Preferences/Metadata_Download, trying to change the server and ticking and unticking options, but nothing works.

I hope anyone has a suggestion, but it seems to be server related somehow. My Internet works fine, by the way.

Quote:
calibre, version 3.31.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download any covers, click "Show details" for details.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single_download.py" , line 585, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\metadata\single_download.py" , line 604, in run_fork
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 224, in fork_job
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 138, in create_worker
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\launch.py", line 228, in __call__
File "subprocess.py", line 711, in __init__
File "subprocess.py", line 959, in _execute_child
WindowsError: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified
In fact, earlier I noticed the error "No module named polyglot.builtins", but now it says something else (see box above). This is what I get when I try again:

Quote:
calibre, version 3.31.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click "Show Details" to see details.

File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 102, in single_identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 79, in patch_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 62, in patch_search_engines

Last edited by lazarus1907; 09-10-2018 at 12:58 PM.
lazarus1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #5
GalacticHull
Enthusiast
GalacticHull began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2O
Same

Yes. Same issue here. Two metadata fetches worked, and the third did not. Began 5 minutes prior to this post. I updated to Calibre 3.31, same error.

Quote:
calibre, version 3.31.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details

GalacticHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
ensmingr
ensmingr began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also suddenly get the "Failed to download metadata" message, with the text below:

ensmingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #7
jjefrey
jjefrey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Using Calibre 3.31.

Worked fine earlier today, now getting same message.

calibre, version 3.31.0

jjefrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
imp_ulse
imp_ulse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
cant pull metadata anymore

In Calibre 3.31 I can no longer scrape metadata/covers for books, whenever I do I get the following error;

Code:
calibre, version 3.31.0

File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py", line 102, in single_identify
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py", line 79, in patch_plugins
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py", line 62, in patch_search_engines
It just out of nowhere started giving this error, I tried updating to 3.31 (from 3.30) i ran repair, nothing is working, to be clear, it has been working fine, I've pulled metadata/covers for thousands of books, pulled a bunch as recently as yesterday. (Win64 version)

Last edited by imp_ulse; 09-10-2018 at 02:19 PM.
imp_ulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
me too, in Linux (Ubuntu-Kubuntu 18.04 64 bit) and Windows 10-64, calibre 3.31 and I tried to downgrade calibre to 3.30 in Windows 10 but same issue.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #10
MJV
Nyxing BookReader
MJV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Aura One, iPad 3,
Having exactly the same problem.

If trying to download covers:
Code:
calibre, version 3.31.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download any covers, click "Show details" for details.

File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 289, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/worker.py", line 110, in single_covers
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/update.py", line 79, in patch_plugins
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/update.py", line 62, in patch_search_engines
If trying to download metadata:
Code:
calibre, version 3.31.0 (darwin, embedded-python: True)
Failed to download metadata: Failed: Download metadata for one book

Starting job: Download metadata for one book 
Job: "Download metadata for one book" failed with error: 
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/threaded_jobs.py", line 84, in start_work
  File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/metadata/bulk_download.py", line 255, in download
Exception: Failed to download metadata. Original traceback: 

File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/simple_worker.py", line 289, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/worker.py", line 55, in main
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/update.py", line 79, in patch_plugins
  File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/metadata/sources/update.py", line 62, in patch_search_engines

Called with args: ([1967], u'/var/folders/nl/50d7fqdn6rzdhbmz970z6ncm0000gn/C/calibre_3.31.0_tmp_GhAuRQ/75VK4K_metadata_bulk.log', <calibre.db.legacy.LibraryDatabase object at 0x10a217f10>, True, False, None) {u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x10eecd210>, u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x115d04b48>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x10eecd350>}
MJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #11
MJV
Nyxing BookReader
MJV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Aura One, iPad 3,
Same problem here. Started today and seems to be independent of the version (i.e. same problem either in 3.30 ou 3.31).
MJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #12
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Same happening here: calibre 3.31 64 bits/calibre portable and callibre 3.30 portable, W10 64bit (3.30 worked prior to Friday and 3.31 I think too).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #13
dr_b
dr_b began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Same here. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software with no luck. Using Windows 64-bit version 3.31.0
dr_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect Windows updated one of the Libraries (DLL's) that Calibre depends on, which is why everyone who runs calibre on a 'connected' pc, has been hit. (I suspect that if your laptop HAS NOT connected to M$, then this has not happened. BUT, then the PI would also have no source to get data from, so who cares if it is broke )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:11 PM   #15
nconnor
nconnor began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect Windows updated one of the Libraries (DLL's) that Calibre depends on, which is why everyone who runs calibre on a 'connected' pc, has been hit. (I suspect that if your laptop HAS NOT connected to M$, then this has not happened. BUT, then the PI would also have no source to get data from, so who cares if it is broke )
Happening on Mac as well, so I suspect it's not an MS issue.
nconnor is offline   Reply With Quote