Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 09:13 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not sure I've ever been to a proper used book store. Not even before ebooks were a reality. Flea market stalls and garage/yard sales, sure. But I can't recall the existence of a business dedicated solely to the sale of used books in my immediate locality. Ever.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Sales of second hand books were dropping before ereaders came on the market. I'd say this started about 1997 or so. There are far fewer people reading books - they have other entertainments. A lot of people who used to read a novel a week, now read far less. I did sell some of my late sister's paperbacks, but the only ones really taking them were senior housing libraries as many seniors prefer paper to electronics unless their vision is bad. Even Half Price Bookstore only gives money for books published in the last 2 years. After that, their chances of selling it is small unless there is someone looking for specific authors.

On the plus side, I constantly hear about people who now read more because of ebooks. Good thing there.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Sales of second hand books were dropping before ereaders came on the market. I'd say this started about 1997 or so. There are far fewer people reading books - they have other entertainments. A lot of people who used to read a novel a week, now read far less. I did sell some of my late sister's paperbacks, but the only ones really taking them were senior housing libraries as many seniors prefer paper to electronics unless their vision is bad. Even Half Price Bookstore only gives money for books published in the last 2 years. After that, their chances of selling it is small unless there is someone looking for specific authors.

On the plus side, I constantly hear about people who now read more because of ebooks. Good thing there.
there's a flaw in your argument - you assume that buying books is connected to reading books, when in fact they have only a vague connection

When I went to the used bookstore, I bought stacks and stacks of books. I did not read them all, but that didn't stop me from buying all I could afford.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm not sure I've ever been to a proper used book store. Not even before ebooks were a reality. Flea market stalls and garage/yard sales, sure. But I can't recall the existence of a business dedicated solely to the sale of used books in my immediate locality. Ever.
When I lived in Ventura, California (in the 80s) I used to haunt the 2nd hand book stores there. There was one on Main Street — huge — can't remember its name now. Also (I think) the one called Calico Cat Bookshop (which is still there according to Google maps). Then I would drive up to Ojai (probably once a week) to Bart's Books (which is also still there).

I just took a quick tour of Main Street in Ventura — looks like it's been heavily "gentrified" — which is probably partly why the one bookstore is gone. I think (at the time) the space was probably pretty cheap. I didn't know you could now "walk into stores" with Google Maps. Weird. Some of them, anyhow, not all of them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
When I went to the used bookstore, I bought stacks and stacks of books. I did not read them all, but that didn't stop me from buying all I could afford.
Same here. I've gotten rid of a lot of them, but I've still got books stored in boxes (in the garage) that I never read. I do the same with eBooks. But I also read a lot of books during the time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
'Retail' (zoned) Rents, killed the used book stores in this area. @ $10-12 per foot plus wages ($10-15 per hour).
It is pretty hard to move the kind of used book volume needed without something else that is high grossing to carry the store.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:45 PM   #22
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
There's still some used book stores here but definitely not as many as there used to be. The one around my neighborhood closed a couple years ago. I don't frequent them as often as I used to since I prefer ebooks.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #23
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
all this got me to thinking about another type of book store. it would go like this:
they sell ebooks and physical books. but there isn't any actual physical book until you request it. when you order the ebook, you get it delivered to your e-reader right away.

if you want the physical copy, there is a printer in-house that will print it out...while you watch. you have options as far as the physical book being paperback or hard cover, page size, and font choice as well. cost for the physical book would be the price of the ebook plus printing and materials, binding, etc.

is there such a book store?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #24
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I think the Espresso Book Machine is the closest to that right now.

I don't think you get many options for covers (paper only?) and I don't think you can change font/print sizes (uses a PDF not a reflowable format) and can only use the default layout but it does print the book right in front of you and bind it for you.

Brochure: http://ondemandbooks.com/images/D95_...ure_020112.pdf

There isn't one close enough for me to go exploring, not that I really care since I use ebooks exclusively for my "for fun" reading.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:11 PM   #25
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I've seen a Print on Demand Service offered on Amazon, but know nothing about it.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
all this got me to thinking about another type of book store. it would go like this:
they sell ebooks and physical books. but there isn't any actual physical book until you request it. when you order the ebook, you get it delivered to your e-reader right away.

if you want the physical copy, there is a printer in-house that will print it out...while you watch. you have options as far as the physical book being paperback or hard cover, page size, and font choice as well. cost for the physical book would be the price of the ebook plus printing and materials, binding, etc.

is there such a book store?
based on the paperback prices for Amazon published books, I suspect that you aren't going to get any $1 paperback books. The ebook that I looked at cost $7, but the paperback cost $21. No idea what the actual cost for printing and binding a book with an in house printer, but I suspect it's not nearly as cheap as the individual cost for a 10,000 book run at one of the big print companies.

As much as I would love something like the old Barnes and Noble experience where I could browse the shelves and then buy the ebook, I question how popular it would be with most people.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #27
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think the Espresso Book Machine is the closest to that right now.

I don't think you get many options for covers (paper only?) and I don't think you can change font/print sizes (uses a PDF not a reflowable format) and can only use the default layout but it does print the book right in front of you and bind it for you.

Brochure: http://ondemandbooks.com/images/D95_...ure_020112.pdf

There isn't one close enough for me to go exploring, not that I really care since I use ebooks exclusively for my "for fun" reading.
thanks. but wow, is it expensive. i looked up Catcher In the Rye just to see how much it would cost (32.95) and compared it with what i could get on amazon (paperbacks range from about $6 to $11).
that's at least 3 times as much.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #28
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Here in Brisbane, Queensland , Australia the 2nd hand book market seems pretty healthy and bookstores seem to be doing ok.

I don't really buy NEW paperbacks in the biog bookstore chains, but I DO buy those collector hard back editions of classic works or special editions of newer books.

As for 2nd hand stores, I still visit them to pick up paperbacks and whatever for stuff that takes my fancy.

I like reading ebooks, but I read them more "On the go" when I'm out and about.
But when I'm home, I prefer to hide under a duvet on my sofa and read a physical book.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #29
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
There's still a used bookstore near me, but where most of their space used to be books with a few racks of CDs, now CDs, DVDs and Vinyl take up more of the space.

What I find amazing is that books at the local Goodwill (charity/thrift) sell for only 50 cents to a buck. And they're not just junk, there's lots of big name authors and recent titles on the shelves.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:12 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks for all the comments. Summarising the various opinions, it seems that the decline in used paper book stores is real, but that ebooks are not the sole cause of the decline.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote