Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 05-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #16
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzli View Post
Maybe the "this year" part was meant to address the question, but you're right that it's not a very successful answer even if so intended.
In an evasive way, they essentially confirmed that the 6.8" device is not yet funded.

What they neglected to say was what it would take to get it funded. And that is the crucial point, particularly with a campaign which has already been funded.

Before a campaign has reached its funding goal, a backer can withdraw their support at any time. It is a simple process.

However, once a campaign has been funded, from what I understand, any refunds are at the discretion of the campaigners. They can offer a refund or not as they so please.

Because the 13.3" campaign achieved full funding, I assume that the campaigners would continue to receive all funds pledged. Because they have recently added the 6.8" device as a perk to this campaign, I would assume that they would also receive the funds pledged for it as well.

Had they started a new campaign for the 6.8" device, they would not receive the funds until the end of the campaign. Consequently, there would be ample time for any backers to withdraw their support if they realized that the campaign was not going to reach its goal.

For their Kickstarter campaign, they set a goal of $48000 Canadian. To reach that goal they would need backers for about 180 devices. Last time I checked, they had pledges for about 35 devices.

Do they really need to sell 180 devices to make this ereader a reality? What will happen to the funds pledged if they don't meet that goal? What insurance is there for people who want to back out if they decide that it is taking too long to meet the required goal?

Those are questions which need to be addressed. Particularly since they have opted to add the 6.8" device as a perk to an already funded campaign rather than starting a new campaign for what is a new product.

Last edited by Question Mark; 05-27-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:44 PM   #17
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After a good initial showing, the Kickstarter campaigned failed to reach its funding goal. Although some of those who backed the Kickstarter campaign have now migrated to the Indiegogo campaign, others seem hesitant since wandering over to the Indiedgogo page and reading through the comments.

And backers of the 13.3" campaign seem increasingly desperate to get any kind of response from the Good Ereader campaigners at all. Not a pretty sight. Hope it ends well for all involved...

Quote:
Jake Berger 19 minutes ago

I tried contacting the Campaigner, Michael through IndieGogo messaging.

No reply.

I sent an email to both Michael & Peter.

It shows the email was OPENED 35 minutes after I sent it.

Crickets. Still no reply.

Even though Michael stated “backer chat is not a place to ask about refunds, as it clutters everything up”, this is a last resort.

9 months past estimated delivery + Non-responsive Communication + adding another device… cringe.

Guys, please search your email for Order 358 & reply

fanzhaoyang 7 hours ago

I’m not kidding.

Scott Lloyd 12 hours ago

Nice try Fanz.

fanzhaoyang 16 hours ago

Peter and others, I’m waiting for my refund money to feed my 7-month-old son. Please.

Gustaf Björklund 2 days ago

Michael and Peter, I backed this project based on your promise to make firmware open source. When will you make the firmware open source to the community of users?

Gabriel Karter 2 days ago

Guys, I’m STILL waiting on a response from a week ago (posted here) about how you’ve ignored my nearly 10 other attempts at reaching you via email and indiegogo messages over the past 2 months. This is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Jannicke Andersen 3 days ago

Hi! My order ID is 445. When can I expect the e-reader?

Scott Lloyd 4 days ago

I came to this campaign from the KS project that did not fund today for the 6.8 version of this e-reader. I got a private message to come here to order it.

Unfortunately, after reading the comments and seeing that this campaign is over eight months late and that some people are having problems communicating with this company I don’t know what to do now. Can I really expect this to ship in October?

Scott Lloyd 4 days ago

After I contribute, will they ignore any of my future communication attempts if needed? Past events being the best predictor of the future, it concerns me.

I love the product concept but have been screwed by other Indie campaigns (can we say Keplero Wallet?) that were/are over two years past due with little communication. Maybe I should wait until Good-E-Reader can ship from existing inventory rather than future production. Can you guys alleviate my concerns before I decide what to do?

fanzhaoyang 4 days ago

Please tell me where my refund money Is , after you keep saying everyone’s order will be shipped next batch.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1...ader#/comments
Advert
Old 06-11-2017, 10:32 PM   #18
Question Mark
Wizard

The campaigners have finally offered a little more clarity on the 6.8" device.

It turns out that they need to get backers for "a few hundred units" before they can place an order with Netronix. They currently have backers for about 46 units.

However, no word on what will happen if someone wants to back out of the campaign. And backers of the 13.3" device are becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of communication which is unlikely to encourage new backers who might be sitting on the fence.

Quote:
Gabriel Karter 6 hours ago

I’m still waiting for a reply.

I’ve messaged here, through email, and through indiegogo messages all multiple times. I’ll be contacting indiegogo directly to make an official complaint because clearly you both are intentionally ignoring me and many others who unfortunately trusted you guys.

This is unbelievably unprofessional and discourteous. If anyone reading here is considering backing this project I’d strongly recommend you don’t.

Rob Phillips-Legge 13 hours ago

I’ve been waiting so long for this I’m considering writing it off as a bad deal. I’ve just bought one of the 13.3" ones that a Chinese manufacturer is selling on Amazon. Funny that it looks exactly the same as the image here. Got it in 5 working days, whilst I’ve been waiting a year for this.

Michael Kozlowski Campaigner 2 days ago

Hello, thanks for your message. In order to manufacture the 6.8 e-Reader we need to sell a few hundred units and then we place the order with our OEM.

Scott Lloyd 19 hours ago

If you need a few hundred units sold first before production, shouldn't you be selling them through an "all or nothing" crowd funding process rather than an "wait to see if you get to 200 orders someday" process? How could you estimate a shipping schedule of October '17 with no way of knowing if you'll get a couple hundred orders with enough lead time to get this delivered by October? Seems sketchy. I think I'll have to pass and get another e-ink reader that's already on the market.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #19
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
Wow, interesting find indeed... Not very trust inducing.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard

It looks like some fromer backers from the Kickstarter campaign are concerned about the campaigners' waffling on making the firmware opensource as they had initially promised to do.

Quote:
Pierre Gallaz 1 day ago

I had originally planned on buying a 6.8 device as well, and had actually pledged money on your kickstarter campaign. But the lack of open source firmware, and the lack of android upgrade (not even Amazon Kindle installs on this version of android nowadays!), while both of which were part of your original pitch, made me choose to wait instead. I wish things were moving faster on the software side, and I’m wondering if you really have the control of it. Making the firmware open source is easy!

Gustaf Björklund 16 days ago

Michael and Peter, I backed this project based on your promise to make firmware open source. When will you make the firmware open source to the community of users?

Michael Kozlowski Campaigner 14 days ago

We are in the process of upgrading Android and working out the kinks with our custom UI, once this is done we will be able to post the firmware for anyone to download.

I can no longer find the promise to make the code open source on their Indiegogo page. However, it is still there buried on their blog.

Quote:
We intend on making the firmware for the 13.3 inch e-reader available to the entire community. This is important because people want creative control in order to make software enhancements or even upgrade to Android M.

Each unit will ship completely unlocked, which means you can install your own apps via ADB and Fastboot. We will also be making the full factory image available, so you can see what we did to make this device work. If you are an Android developer, with extensive experience in OEM software for a commercial product, we would love to hear from you!

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-inch-e-reader
Not sure why they can't make the code public while still trying to upgrade the firmware to a newer version of Android. Unless, of course, as the one backer suggested, they don't really have control of the firmware. I'm guessing that they made the open source comment without really consulting properly with the manufacturer/developer.
Advert
Old 07-02-2017, 06:42 PM   #21
ahrinn
ahrinn began at the beginning.

Device: none, currently.
So, hoping this doesn't count as off-topic, what would folks here recommend as a good alternative to the GoodEreader 6.8" device? I had an inkbook Obsidian that I really enjoyed, but one day pulled it out of my front jeans pocket to find the e-ink screen had cracked (the external screen was fine). I guess I leaned on it or something and didn't realize it. I was thinking of getting the GoodEreader device as a replacement, but am getting the impression that's a less than stellar idea. I would prefer an Android based device, as I like the level of customization and control they give. Physical page-turn buttons are a bonus. And apparently sturdiness should be a factor, given my recent experience with the Obsidian.
ahrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrinn View Post
So, hoping this doesn't count as off-topic, what would folks here recommend as a good alternative to the GoodEreader 6.8" device? I had an inkbook Obsidian that I really enjoyed, but one day pulled it out of my front jeans pocket to find the e-ink screen had cracked (the external screen was fine). I guess I leaned on it or something and didn't realize it. I was thinking of getting the GoodEreader device as a replacement, but am getting the impression that's a less than stellar idea. I would prefer an Android based device, as I like the level of customization and control they give. Physical page-turn buttons are a bonus. And apparently sturdiness should be a factor, given my recent experience with the Obsidian.
If it doesn't have to be Android based, the Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 is my recommendation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #23
therty
therty began at the beginning.

Device: Good E-Reader 6.8
Just received my 6.8 in the mail - does anyone else actually have one? Hoping to share tips and usage.
therty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #24
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrinn View Post
Kobo H2O has a very solid build. Another device with the same screen, but worse shape (and this includes the keys), is Onyx Boox T76ML.

Android makes the Onyx tolerable, reader app on it is usable and more can be added, but it starts up slow and drains the battery quickly.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #25
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by therty View Post
Just received my 6.8 in the mail - does anyone else actually have one? Hoping to share tips and usage.
Just curious if you were a backer from their Indiegogo campaign or if you ordered your device direct their store.

Apparently, many of the backers from the Indiegogo campaign have not yet received their devices.

For those who were lucky enough to receive one, some of them have been sporadically posting in the comments section on the Indiegogo campaign page.

A few backers from the 13.3" campaign who were also lucky enough to receive a device have posted the occasional comment in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272106
Old 06-12-2018, 11:05 PM   #26
therty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Just curious if you were a backer from their Indiegogo campaign or if you ordered your device direct their store.

Apparently, many of the backers from the Indiegogo campaign have not yet received their devices.

For those who were lucky enough to receive one, some of them have been sporadically posting in the comments section on the Indiegogo campaign page.

A few backers from the 13.3" campaign who were also lucky enough to receive a device have posted the occasional comment in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272106
I bought one on the store shortly before i stumbled on this forum.

The hardware is really nice - polished, thanks Netronix. The software is useable, note taking app has all the functionality I need and has low lag. Its a little sluggish between menus, but nothing too worrying.

For a 6.8” device the resolution is GREAT. PDF veiwing, full size journal articles, no problem at all - im actually super happy on first impresions...

Also, of note is that it came out of the box with Android 4.4.2 not 4.0.x so no update was required.

Last edited by therty; 06-12-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #27
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
I bought one on the store
Thanks for the reply. That is good to know. So they really do have stock on hand for immediate purchase even while their backers from Indiegogo continue to wait and wait and wait. Most illuminating.

Quote:
The hardware is really nice - polished, thanks Netronix.
Good to know. Perhaps some other company will pick up the product. Given Good Ereader's dubious history and their treatment of their Indiegogo backers, I wouldn't purchase anything from Good Ereader ever.

Quote:
For a 6.8” device the resolution is GREAT. PDF veiwing, full size journal articles, no problem at all
Am surprised to hear that full size PDF journal articles display so well on the device. Even on my 8" Kobo Aura One, viewing PDFs was passable, but not what I would call great. Guess it all depends on the particular PDF and on the speed of rendering and navigating the file... However, viewing virtually any PDF on my 10.3" Boox Note is a pleasure.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #28
therty

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. That is good to know. So they really do have stock on hand for immediate purchase even while their backers from Indiegogo continue to wait and wait and wait. Most illuminating.

Good to know. Perhaps some other company will pick up the product. Given Good Ereader's dubious history and their treatment of their Indiegogo backers, I wouldn't purchase anything from Good Ereader ever.

Am surprised to hear that full size PDF journal articles display so well on the device. Even on my 8" Kobo Aura One, viewing PDFs was passable, but not what I would call great. Guess it all depends on the particular PDF and on the speed of rendering and navigating the file... However, viewing virtually any PDF on my 10.3" Boox Note is a pleasure.
I guess the PDF thing is personal preference - the resolution is quite similar from 6.8 to the Kobo, so I can imagine the experience being similar. I was really worried about the small size being a problem, but I have been please try surprised the past few PDF I've looked at so my Outlook is positive.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:03 AM   #29
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
The PDF experience very much depends on the app. When there is no crop, zoom, rotate, and reflow, there is basically no viewing of PDF on nearly any screen. All these features are there in Onyx Boox and Pocketbook devices.

If you want to watch PDF files on a Kobo, install Koreader on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oSOeAnD10
Koreader makes PDF viewing passable even on a 6" screen.

Last edited by mobama; 06-14-2018 at 04:34 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #30
Question Mark
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
The PDF experience very much depends on the app. When there is no crop, zoom, rotate, and reflow, there is basically no viewing of PDF on nearly any screen. All these features are there in Onyx Boox and Pocketbook devices.
Quite agree, which is one of the reasons why viewing PDFs on my Onyx Note is so pleasurable.

But, to be really comprehensive, you would need to add processing speed to the above list. Even if a device could do all of the above, if it took it an eternity to do it, the PDF experience would be painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
If you want to watch PDF files on a Kobo, install Koreader on it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oSOeAnD10
Koreader makes PDF viewing passable even on a 6" screen.
I already have Koreader installed on both my 6" and my 8" Kobos. It does dramatically enhance the viewing of certain PDFs, particularly those which are primarily text oriented. It doesn't do much for other PDFs.

For certain PDFs, screen size is what will matter most, closely followed by processing speed. The Onyx Note has both of those which makes it such a joy for PDFs.

Tags
goodereader bad