Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Question about writing a thriller

I've got an idea for writing a thriller. The idea would be for the protagonist to stop the antagonist from doing a dastardly deed (with huge implications for humanity). So yeah, my protagonist tries to stop the antagonist, but I'm kind of stuck for how to do it. I mean, does my protagonist just keep coming up with ways to thwart the antagonist's plan? And how is my protagonist going to do that sort of thing with a sense of logical progression to it?

Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it depends on what sort of dastardly deed the antagonist is trying to do. And whether or not it's straightforward or a convoluted path that the pursuit takes place on.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I am wondering if your idea is waiting for another before it is ready. Various writers speak of not being able to create a story until two or more ideas intersect - and it is at that intersection that the story takes off. You have your dastardly deed, but to make the story interesting you may need one or other (or both) of your protagonists to have some particular peculiarity, or be experiencing some difficulty, or maybe that it's some external situation (event or coincidence of events) that bring the spark that a story needs.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I am wondering if your idea is waiting for another before it is ready. Various writers speak of not being able to create a story until two or more ideas intersect - and it is at that intersection that the story takes off. You have your dastardly deed, but to make the story interesting you may need one or other (or both) of your protagonists to have some particular peculiarity, or be experiencing some difficulty, or maybe that it's some external situation (event or coincidence of events) that bring the spark that a story needs.
Good point. You not only need the protagonist to be involved, but to have a good reason for them to become involved. For them to just become involved for no reason and be just the right person to stop the antagonist's evil plans sounds artificial to me. Miss Marple is a good example. She isn't just an older woman who has seen a lot and happens to have the solution to the murder in that lifetime of experience. She is either going somewhere and encounters the situation or is a guest of the cousin of her best girlhood friend or some other person so that she has a reason for being there that makes sense.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So start with the bad guy kills good guy, err wait.. that makes is a short story...never mind.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
I've got an idea for writing a thriller. The idea would be for the protagonist to stop the antagonist from doing a dastardly deed (with huge implications for humanity). So yeah, my protagonist tries to stop the antagonist, but I'm kind of stuck for how to do it. I mean, does my protagonist just keep coming up with ways to thwart the antagonist's plan? And how is my protagonist going to do that sort of thing with a sense of logical progression to it?

Thanks.
Gregg:

Try Jodie Renner's book, "How to Write a Killer Thriller." It's affordable and it should be very helpful to you.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
In my opinion, the best thrillers involve a spiraling series of actions and reactions which put the protagonist (and the world) in increasingly perilous situations until -- BAM! -- the whole mess finally gets resolved.

The scenario "Plan A fails, Plan B fails, Plan C fails, and then Plan D succeeds" is far less intriguing to me than "Plan A has an unintended side-effect, necessitating Plan B, which results in changed behavior from the antagonist. Plan C thwarts the antagonist's latest nefarious scheme, but with complications that force the hero to improvise Plan D."

It's the "out of the frying pan, into the fire" trope. Thrillers involve steadily rising tension and increasingly higher stakes, often with a firm time limit on how long the hero has to get the world straightened out.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I think it depends on what sort of dastardly deed the antagonist is trying to do. And whether or not it's straightforward or a convoluted path that the pursuit takes place on.
Thanks crich. Yeah, I'm still in the rudimentary stages of figuring all this out. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Hey G.M. Now that I finally understand styles I'm ready to do some writing. Agree. Ideas are still percolating so I'll be patient and wait for them to surface and intersect. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Hitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Gregg:

Try Jodie Renner's book, "How to Write a Killer Thriller." It's affordable and it should be very helpful to you.

Hitch
It was either this or make e-books! Picked up a copy of Renner's book. Will read it forthwith. Appreciate the rec.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks Nancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
In my opinion, the best thrillers involve a spiraling series of actions and reactions which put the protagonist (and the world) in increasingly perilous situations until -- BAM! -- the whole mess finally gets resolved.

The scenario "Plan A fails, Plan B fails, Plan C fails, and then Plan D succeeds" is far less intriguing to me than "Plan A has an unintended side-effect, necessitating Plan B, which results in changed behavior from the antagonist. Plan C thwarts the antagonist's latest nefarious scheme, but with complications that force the hero to improvise Plan D."

It's the "out of the frying pan, into the fire" trope. Thrillers involve steadily rising tension and increasingly higher stakes, often with a firm time limit on how long the hero has to get the world straightened out.
Thanks Nancy. I'm with you on this. Really appreciate the advice.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

more "thriller" questions

More questions about Thrillers.

#1) How do you feel about using A LOT of humor in them? Opinions on this?
(I'm planning on using so much zany stuff that it will not be "real"istic at all.)

#2) Can I mention celebrities, have stuff happen to them? (eg. Have my protagonist interact with Lindsey Lohan?)

#3) With the dastardly evil deed that my antagonist is planning (and which my protagonist will fight to foil), is it best to have my protagonist get on to this evil deed pretty much right away, or would it be better if she only became aware of it slowly? And if it's the latter, how slowly? Within the first 5% of the book? The first 10%? Whatever?

Thank you!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:

(I'm planning on using so much zany stuff that it will not be "real"istic at all.)
I put this in the Janet Evanovich category, which to me, removes it entirely from the "Thriller" category. That in and of itself is not bad...but I think a thriller is a thriller, not a comedy. Can a thriller have comedic relief, or elements? Yes, but once it turns into slapstick, like the Stephanie Plums, they are a different type of reading. I feel that a thriller should be suspenseful, not making me LOL. Hunt for Red October, not One for the Money. I also think that the moment you lose the suspension of disbelief--the "reality"--for a thriller, the book kicks the bucket. If the whole point of a thriller is to be thrilled, how thrilled can we be if there's no goal? No devastation? No fear? Nothing hanging in the balance? Are you sure it's a thriller you want to write?

Quote:
#2) Can I mention celebrities, have stuff happen to them? (eg. Have my protagonist interact with Lindsey Lohan?)
That's a question for a lawyer. If you say your protagonist walks past Lindsay Lohan, no one will care. If you say she trips over her, while Lindsay is laying passed out on the floor of a bathroom in a nightclub, I suspect you'll have difficulties. You'd be far better off using made-up celebrities; if for no other reason than, ten years down the road, the "hot celeb du jour" will date your novel.

Quote:
#3) With the dastardly evil deed that my antagonist is planning (and which my protagonist will fight to foil), is it best to have my protagonist get on to this evil deed pretty much right away, or would it be better if she only became aware of it slowly? And if it's the latter, how slowly? Within the first 5% of the book? The first 10%? Whatever?
I think that this is a question for either your writing coach or your critique group, or a writing class. I mean...this is kind of what your plotting the book is all about, right? Creating the suspense? How you do it is the trick that makes everyone want to read it. If we get to dictate the terms, it won't be very suspenseful, will it? At least, not for us! ;-) FWIW, I don't think anyone cares how rapidly or slowly your heroine learns all the details of the plot, as long as the ride along the way is brisk.

Quote:
Thank you!
You betcha.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I'd say use humor sparingly to break tension if it gets too high. If you use it too much then the story becomes slapstick.
Quote:
To a certain extent real people do sometimes appear in fictional stories but you have to be very careful especially when you have living people involved. Otherwise you can find yourself the defendant in a lawsuit.
Quote:
I think it would make a story more intense and full of tension if the hero slowly builds up to what the baddie is doing. You see it all the time in TV shows like "Criminal Minds." Someone is missing or a body is found and the team investigates it. Then it turns out that what was thought to be one crime is actually multiple crimes and then the race is on to find clues that point to who the killer is before he/she can kill their next victim.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Hitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Are you sure it's a thriller you want to write?

FWIW, I don't think anyone cares how rapidly or slowly your heroine learns all the details of the plot, as long as the ride along the way is brisk.

Hitch
Read the Renner book. Thanks. It gave me a real good grounding in the basics.

And yeah, it's going to be even zanier than Evanovich. WAY zanier. But it will be in the guise of a thriller. So what's the genre? Faux thriller? And the goal of the book will be to make you LOL. It will be uber violent but cartoon violence. And the fate of the world (lol) will hang in the balance but it will be a joking fate.

Good advice on Lindsay. (Don't want her lawyers after me! lol)

And you're right about the revelation of the dastardly deed. I want it to be suspenseful FOR YOU! (And it will be brisker than an ice cold glass of Lipton tea. PROMISE!!!!!!!!!)