Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #46
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
The problem is not the video at all. Kobo did their job on it. (And I guess the customer support actually meant the GPU, the graphics processor, which pratically isn't enabled at all.)
My problem with Netflix is that they won't let me choose the version that works + they push out an update every two weeks that just breaks things. DRM can be a great thing if you know how to handle it.

However, as this is still the thread about software;

ScriptManager is my favorite root app. http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...=scriptmanager (There is gscript as well: http://code.google.com/p/gscript-android/) A reason why everyone here will love it is that you can lower the screen brightness far more with root access.
The following line will lower the screen brightness to total (still visibile) minimum:

echo 7 >/sys/devices/platform/pwm-backlight.0/backlight/pwm-backlight.0/brightness

The other app, SMWidgets, can put one-tap-widgets on the homescreen. If you have automatic brightness enabled, enable the script after you turn your reading light off (i.e. your girfriend goes to sleep...) If you turn on the light again, the sensor will change the brightness back to what it thinks is best. On my mobile I could also turn the button light off, but I haven't found where on the kobo.

And I think I have tested the OpenVPN module enough to put it here. https://rapidshare.com/files/4125878..._tun.ko.tar.gz Get the module, extract it, root the Kobo, get Friedrich Schäuffle's OpenVPN apps here: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...search=openvpn, and Busybox here: http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...search=busybox

A detailed howto is here (read the whole thing please before getting to it):
There are just a few things that I have to add:
Step 6: when you copy your VPN keys, copy the tun.ko to the same folder.
Common problems: check 'Load tun kernel module' and in 'TUN module settings' choose insmod for loading and set the path where you copied the module, i.e. /sdcard/vpn/tun.ko
http://vpnblog.info/android-openvpn-strongvpn.html

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-18-2011 at 10:46 AM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #47
Bobfreeze
Bobfreeze began at the beginning.

Regarding contacting Netflix, their .com site at

http://developer.netflix.com/forum/topics/27645

has a forum for API feature requests. May want to make some noise over there...
Bobfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #48
gottabekd
gottabekd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox; Kobo e-Reader
I haven't got my Vox on me right now to test this, but the XDA forum has a thread with various older versions of the stock Netflix app, with the update notification turned off. Perhaps one of these will work.

I'll try this when I get home in about 4 hrs, let you know if it works if noone else has tried it before then.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #49
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Reading threads can often save a lot of time...
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #50
gottabekd
gottabekd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox; Kobo e-Reader
Eh, I forgot you posted that.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #51
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
gottabekd, is that the Canadian "eh" or the other (deprecated) one?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #52
Pier
Enthusiast
Pier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of lightPier is a glorious beacon of light

Device: sony ereader PRS700
Hi Jeff, I really appreciated your help with my vox problem. Everything works fine now (till the next problem I guess). I downloaded your apps package. They seem to be very good ones. I

After extracting the files, I moved them from the computer to my vox but I can't find where or how to install them. As you already guessed, I'm not expert at this sort of things so help would be really appreciated again.

Thanks.
Pier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #53
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'd like to underscore what's really helpful is addressing the needs of those who do NOT wish to root their Kobo. Many of us what to get the most out of the device as it is configured by Kobo, enhancing within the environment.

So, thanks for separately the apps into the two bundles in the OP.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #54
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
Angry Birds is rather choppy when I try to play - and the ads are annoying.

Is there an app - besides the regular ones Jeff suggested and which I've already installed - that will help with the choppiness problem?

Are there any smoother versions of the three Angry Birds apps available than the GetJar ones?

Is it possible to access any paid apps that don't have ads?

moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #55
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I haven't found any choppiness when playing Angry Birds on the Vox, and I use the Getjar apps as well.

I noticed the other day that the keyboard was more sluggish than usual. When I checked available RAM (under Manage Apps/Running) I found the ratio of RAM used to free RAM was high. Rebooting the Vox freed up the RAM and using the keyboard was back to it's normal speed.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #56
Bobfreeze
Bobfreeze began at the beginning.

I have found that most of the annoying ads go away when I switch off Wi-Fi while playing Angry Birds etc. Just a thought...
Bobfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #57
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobfreeze View Post
I have found that most of the annoying ads go away when I switch off Wi-Fi while playing Angry Birds etc. Just a thought...
Bob, you are a genius! Turning off the WiFi removed the ad banners and the choppiness.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #58
moolyn
Rookie eBookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I haven't found any choppiness when playing Angry Birds on the Vox, and I use the Getjar apps as well.

I noticed the other day that the keyboard was more sluggish than usual. When I checked available RAM (under Manage Apps/Running) I found the ratio of RAM used to free RAM was high. Rebooting the Vox freed up the RAM and using the keyboard was back to it's normal speed.
Thanks for responding! It seems that my problem was solved by turning off the WiFi. This explains why it worked okay sometimes because I don't always have WiFi on but didn't make the connection to this like Bob did.

What do you consider to be a high ratio of used RAM to free RAM? I checked and mine was about 1:3. It makes sense that this could cause problems because my computer struggles when I have too many windows open.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #59
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
What do you consider to be a high ratio of used RAM to free RAM? I checked and mine was about 1:3. It makes sense that this could cause problems because my computer struggles when I have too many windows open.

I don't know at which point it becomes a problem. There was a definite lag in typing (waiting 1-2 seconds for each letter to appear after hitting the keyboard) that one time and when I checked more than half of the RAM was in use. I can't remember what the exact figure was now.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #60
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I'd like to recommend this version of free Sudoku for the Kobo Vox:

If you have acecss to the Android Market:
https://market.android.com/details?i...ver.free&hl=en

The developer website:
http://www.1gravity.com/index.php?op...d=74&Itemid=71

Or a direct download:
http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...ver.free_v1.00

I had to download to my computer and transfer over via USB to install only because the androiddev website is, as noted earlier, a bit flakey.

I have already managed to waste several perfectly good reading hour playing this Sukodu instead ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote