LILAC 11 11.96%
SILVER 14 15.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #46
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I've been following the progress on this device. Grabbed a black one last night at Borders.
Ditto, I bought a black one at local Borders on July 4th. I think it has a great design and great potential.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #47
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I wonder if you could achieve that look via a custom skin for it?

Take a look at http://www.gelaskins.com/ and try creating a custom skin with just a blue back to it...

Looks doable; however you would get both the front and back, and it would be $19.95. At least shipping should be easier than for a Kobo itself :P
I almost did exactly that!
But I had a skin for my iPhone which gave me no end of problems. It's relatively hot and humid where I live and the skin kept lifting off (despite the skin being returned and subsequently replaced incase I had fitted it incorrectly) so I wasn't sure about the whole skin thing.

Two comments finally helped me decide - 1. That the black was "rubberized" and felt different to the plastic feel of the white front and 2. That when you are reading you can't see the pretty colours!

Then there was this poll which at the time I ordered showed over 60% of Touches were black - now it's climbed up to 68%!

I'm not normally so indecisive and I'm sure if I could have actually seen one it would have been much easier. Plus my original Kobo is still working wonderfully. I'm going to be sad when it is retired.

Last edited by HarleyB; 07-05-2011 at 05:52 PM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #48
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I almost did exactly that!
But I had a skin for my iPhone which gave me no end of problems. It's relatively hot and humid where I live and the skin kept lifting off (despite the skin being returned and subsequently replaced incase I had fitted it incorrectly) so I wasn't sure about the whole skin thing.

Two comments finally helped me decide - 1. That the black was "rubberized" and felt different to the plastic feel of the white front and 2. That when you are reading you can't see the pretty colours!

Then there was this poll which at the time I ordered showed over 60% of Touches were black - now it's climbed up to 68%!

I'm not normally so indecisive and I'm sure if I could have actually seen one it would have been much easier. Plus my original Kobo is still working wonderfully. I'm going to be sad when it is retired.
hey Harley it all boils down to personal choice. Sucks when you got so many choices. But PeterT does have a great idea about the use of the skins. But as you pointed out there is a drawback as to climate.. something I would not have given any thought to.

What ever you decide I think it will be the right choice for you . Let us know

regards

jack

Last edited by jackastor; 07-06-2011 at 12:02 AM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:33 PM   #49
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
All they had was lilac when I stopped in to pick up my Touch. Oh well, I don't have to look at it.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #50
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Black!
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #51
darkhatreader
darkhatreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
Simple, stylish, black.
darkhatreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #52
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So does anyone have a color they would like to see for the touch?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #53
Uncle Ned
Uncle Ned began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
Mine's blue. The back is grubby already after just 10 days. I tried some rubbing alcohol but it didn't seem to do much. I even have one those padded Roots sleeves that Chapters sells. In any event, I've already ordered a gelaskin that's sitting at the post office. I'll put it on tomorrow and try to keep that cleaner.
Uncle Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #54
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ned View Post
Mine's blue. The back is grubby already after just 10 days. I tried some rubbing alcohol but it didn't seem to do much.
Ah...that was actually another concern of mine, when I was considering the lilac.

Even my black quilted back is getting grubby/oily - and I do take the microfiber cloth to it after every couple or so reading sessions.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #55
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Ah...that was actually another concern of mine, when I was considering the lilac.

Even my black quilted back is getting grubby/oily - and I do take the microfiber cloth to it after every couple or so reading sessions.
If you do clean it make sure you dont use anything that may have amonia in it as it may cause problems to the screen. I use a micro fibre cloth damp with dawn dish detergent and water. I find that works good. I make sure all the the moisture is squeezed out b4 i use it. Then I rinse the micro fiber cloth and wipe it again with just plain water. followed by a dry micro fiber cloth. Find it works for me.

regards

jack
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #56
Uncle Ned
Uncle Ned began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo; Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
If you do clean it make sure you dont use anything that may have amonia in it as it may cause problems to the screen. I use a micro fibre cloth damp with dawn dish detergent and water. I find that works good. I make sure all the the moisture is squeezed out b4 i use it. Then I rinse the micro fiber cloth and wipe it again with just plain water. followed by a dry micro fiber cloth. Find it works for me.

regards

jack
I will have to try this. I've used mine on the deck after putting on sunscreen, put in my briefcase without a sleeve and read on the bus while balancing a coffee, so my Kobo has seen the real world.
Uncle Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #57
jackastor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ned View Post
I will have to try this. I've used mine on the deck after putting on sunscreen, put in my briefcase without a sleeve and read on the bus while balancing a coffee, so my Kobo has seen the real world.
Arnt you glad humans are such a sanitary species?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #58
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

regards

jack
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote