Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #1
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Aura One Firmware 4.2.8283

It was just released;

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...e-4.2.8283.zip

I don't know anything about it.
Some Changes;
Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
To clarify:

Aura H2O and Aura have broken hardware acceleration for inversion (i.e., night mode).

When/if the release gets out, this will be of use: https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nightmode

Hardware acceleration is turned on by default in this repository for all Kobo devices.

4.2.8283 and beyond will be switching the framebuffer to 32 bit depth. Modifications/code that assume 16 bit will be broken. Kernels will be patched for each generation of device that the update goes out to.

My night mode repository above has also been updated to support 16bpp and 32bpp software inversion for older firmware, if needed.

I don't recommend manually applying 4.2.8283 if it's not available via the Kobo servers. It might work, but it most likely won't.

Last edited by freekobo; 01-26-2017 at 06:19 PM.
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
A bit off topic here... if you don't like changes made in a new firmware, can you roll back just by dragging over and earlier one?
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
A bit off topic here... if you don't like changes made in a new firmware, can you roll back just by dragging over and earlier one?

Yes, as long as the firmware you're loading on to the device was at one point on it. You could not, for example, load 3.17 on a Kobo Aura One. Rather you shouldn't try since certain features wont work which would be the least of the possible issues you'd have.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Loyne View Post
yes.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Sir Loyne
Connoisseur
Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Sir Loyne , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Aura One
Thanks. I've had experience with devices (think Amazon & Apple) that don't let you, even if the new firmware causes problems. That's why I refuse to buy certain devices (think Amazon & Apple. Well, that and how they try to maintain complete control over MY device. And iTunes, can't forget that).
Sir Loyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Because this firmware is for mark 6 devices, would it work as is on a Glo HD?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
I spent half of my day trying to install Koreader on my Aura One, with no success yet. So I sure am glad you posted this update. At least I'm adding something of value to my reader today, hehe.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #8
mbonheur
mbonheur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
I spent half of my day trying to install Koreader on my Aura One, with no success yet. So I sure am glad you posted this update. At least I'm adding something of value to my reader today, hehe.
I had the same issue. Koreader shows up on my KSM, but it would not launch.

K2pdfopt modified PDF files are pretty alright though. I will try Koreader through filemonitor tomorrow. We will see how it goes
mbonheur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Do not use on other devices

Firmware 4.2.8283 has changes to the kernel. Using the KoboRoot.tgz without the kernel updates will cause problems. The changes are fixes for 32bpp support.

The update package does include a kernel for the Glo HD. I do not know if this has been updated. Anyone who uses this, does so at their own risk.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Any changes that can be reported, or is this just an 'under the hood enhancement/bug fix' update?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #11
akiyamakazumi
akiyamakazumi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura edition2, Kobo H20, Kobo Forma, kobo Clara HD
The system is faster then the last update. After the previous update, I feel the system is so slow, I have 4000+ mb free, but the system feel so heavy, it take a while to turn the page no matter comic or text book(buy from rakuten kobo). At the library, instead to turn the page it open the book.

Last edited by akiyamakazumi; 01-17-2017 at 07:35 PM.
akiyamakazumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
So now there are two 4.2 firmwares, how confusing. Only a beta...

New device? "snow"
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Any changes that can be reported, or is this just an 'under the hood enhancement/bug fix' update?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
So now there are two 4.2 firmwares, how confusing. Only a beta...
I have to check my notes at home, but I think this is just fixes and maybe performance. Hence, updating the build/patch number makes sense.
Quote:
New device? "snow"
I didn't see a new device. Where did you find that?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I have a Glo HD and just dropped back to 3.19.5761. Was tired of fooling around with the 'Journal' mode with Calibre (still using XP). Is there any way to turn off the left side swipe light adjuster? This was the only reason I was using the 4.x versions.

Thanks.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 AM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What is journal mode?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote