Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
lambrecht
lambrecht began at the beginning.

Device: ePub
new in calibre

I've read the pages about problems with pdf - so maybe I cannot use this tool at all
my book is 104 pages and square 19,5 cm - but no matter how I try to convert to ePub - I get 124 pages in a mess
I want excately the same as my pdf-book - is that not possible?
lambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Afraid not, unless you're willing to go over the result line by line and edit manually.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambrecht View Post
I've read the pages about problems with pdf - so maybe I cannot use this tool at all
my book is 104 pages and square 19,5 cm - but no matter how I try to convert to ePub - I get 124 pages in a mess
I want excately the same as my pdf-book - is that not possible?
Not possible.

"Normal" ePubs are reflowable and do not have "pages" so it is impossible to replicate a PDF, which is a fixed layout page-based format, in a normal ePub. There are fixed-layout ePubs, but they are difficult to build and not supported well by most reading software.

The second problem is the PDF is an extremely poor source for conversion to any other format. Conversion is much like trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together after his fall. If you have the original source file that was used to create the PDF, it would be a vastly better source for conversion.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:40 PM   #4
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
I've been able to successfully convert some PDFs to EPUB. Someone recently posted that enabling Heuristic processing (in Common Options) and checking the Unwrap Lines box will help to keep the paragraphs together. I tried this, and it helped immensely to do that. Then you can use Regex to connect any other paragraphs that are broken.

PDFs with two pages, side by side, will not convert, though, as far as I know, but single-page PDFs (those that are not raw scans) should convert okay, but there will be some manual editing required.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:45 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you want to convert pdf files to epub, I would suggest buying ABBYY Transformer. It's about $40 and does quite a good job. Follow that up with either Sigil or the editing program in Calibre to fix any spelling errors, and you are set.

I don't know if ABBYY Transformer will do side by side columns. I only convert novels.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2018, 04:46 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@deback - if by "two pages side-by-side" you mean 2 column layout, this might help ==> k2pdfopt: optimizes PDFs for viewing on e-readers - it's probably worth a look anyway.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
lambrecht
lambrecht began at the beginning.

Device: ePub
thank you all for the replies. Guess I will have to just keep it in pdf
lambrecht is offline   Reply With Quote