Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
mratteberry
Fire Breather
mratteberry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Question Question about x-ray...

So I'm writing a fantasy novel with lots of names. I want to be able to highlight names while reading in the kindle and have a quote (first mention of the character or location) pop up as a definition. I have the X-ray plugin but cannot get the thing to work - I assume because my book isn't on Goodreads. I'm not comfortable with adding my book to Goodreads just yet, but I feel like there should be an easier way to link names of characters and places to a glossary at the back of the novel after the ToC in calibre or something like that. Any help is greatly appreciated!
mratteberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:29 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just use a normal footnote link. You can use search and replace to insert it for all occurences of a name.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
mratteberry
Fire Breather
mratteberry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just use a normal footnote link. You can use search and replace to insert it for all occurences of a name.
Thank you for your quick reply! Could you tell me how exactly to add a footnote link?
mratteberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A footnote link is just a normal link that links to your footnote page. If you are creating EPUBs you can add extra markup to idicate it should open up a popup. Kindles dont have that facility, instead amazon uses some heuristics to decide which links to open as popups. Ask in the kindle forum for more details.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, glossary, x-ray