Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #91
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I can’t say I like the how the Control Center is accessed. It takes extra gestures now to adjust the screen brightness and volume. 3 motions/swipes for brightness control is too clunky.

The rest of the changes to multi-tasking are ok, but taking some time to get used to. My 7+ and new mini are still on 10.3.3. My Pro is running 11, and the old mini is on 11 as well. It was my practice device.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #92
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
One thing that really miffs me about iOS 11 is that they removed Safari's RSS reader...
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #93
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I can’t say I like the how the Control Center is accessed. It takes extra gestures now to adjust the screen brightness and volume. 3 motions/swipes for brightness control is too clunky.

The rest of the changes to multi-tasking are ok, but taking some time to get used to. My 7+ and new mini are still on 10.3.3. My Pro is running 11, and the old mini is on 11 as well. It was my practice device.
I don’t understand your CC complaint. First, they’ve eliminated the ‘2 panel’ CC that used to be there so you can get to everything in one swipe, whereas before you (potentially) needed 2. Then it is one swipe for brightness or volume and another to dismiss CC. So where are the ‘extra’ gestures?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #94
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
i don't know why apple doesn't allow you to change the wifi you connect to via the control center. they only allow you to turn on/off wifi. it's been like this since the beginning.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:53 AM   #95
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
My first iOS disappointment: the redesigned App Store no longer has a Wish List. I should be able to access what it was on my iPad 3 (iOS9) but will have to use a different way to track going forward (probably a OneNote folder).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I also miss the Wish List in the App Store. You can use the Reminders app as a work-a-round. Tap the app you want to keep on a list, tap the “...” at the upper right, then Reminders. You could use any app I suppose.
I personally use Appshopper.com for my wishlist, as you can search for all apps and add them to your list. You'll even get emails when your 'wished' apps change in price or gets updates.. So I've gotten a lot of free apps and good deals this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
I had updated my iPhone 6 to iOS 11 and then backed up the photos to my Windows laptop. Be warned, I had it set to only copy new photos and videos. I think iOS 11 changed the file format or something. It copied ALL the photos and videos and I now have a huge folder with duplicates. I am a photo hoarder as it is, so you can just imagine....��
iOS11 changes the format for images and video, to some that only takes up half the space, but only on iPhone 7 and 2017 iPads, and newer (A10 SOC or newer if you are technical). So that's likely not the reason.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2017, 08:33 AM   #96
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
I personally use Appshopper.com for my wishlist, as you can search for all apps and add them to your list. You'll even get emails when your 'wished' apps change in price or gets updates.. So I've gotten a lot of free apps and good deals this way.
I'll check it out...thanks!
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #97
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying appshopper - looks good.

Still not comfortable with slide over changes. Nice that it is floating and can be placed on either side of screen, and that you can still interact with the app it is on top of. But awkward to get the slide out app to full screen mode. Task switcher keeps bringing it up in slide over mode even when it is not currently visible (unless on Home screen).
Old 10-06-2017, 08:42 PM   #98
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

I’m getting used to the new implementation of Slide Over.

Overall it is nicer but I’d like a one-step gesture to take the Slide Over app full screen, particularly when the app it is on top of does not support split view etc.

But it seems to take two steps:
- navigate to home screen and launch from there (this can be done with keyboard shortcuts also)
- double-tap Home to bring up task switcher and select it there.
- if the app underneath supports split view, then you can change from SO to SV by dragging the ‘handle’ on the SO panel and then to full screen by dragging the separator right or left.

I don’t really miss being able to change the Slide Over app in situ (by navigating a lengthy list of the SO-capable apps). Picking it from the Dock usually works well, though one might have to launch the app first so it is in the Recents section. But there is no visual indication that a dock item is SO-capable until you start dragging the item ‘into play.’

It also seems a little abitrary that there is no way to designate the SO app from Home screen: you have to have some other app in foreground first. Why can’t you have SO in Home screen also? Or Split view with Home screen in one of the panels?

It is nice that both the ‘underneath’ app and the SO app are ‘active’ - activating the ‘underneath’ app doesn’t hide the SO app. Wonder if drag-drop works there too?

And it is much more fluid to hide/reveal the SO app.

I see PIP is improved too: you can slide the PIP window off to the edge in any of the 4 corners it floats in. At least I don’t remember being able to do this before.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #99
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Go to "Settings /General / About / Applications" and it'll tell you which apps are incompatible.
Thank you! I know your post is an old one, but until I got my new Ipad Mini 4, I couldn't even update to iOS 10, definitely not iOS 11!

Good old Apple has already downloaded iOS 11, but I'm still a long way from pulling the trigger and installing it. Fortunately, only 2 apps are currently incompatible.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 PM   #100
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Three of the four apps that were originally flagged as incompatible were updated about the time iOS 11 shipped.

The only holdout for me is ‘Dictation’ (Nuance Communications) voice dictation. I assume they would have the resources to fix it if they really wanted to, but it has not been updated for over 4 years, and it has a pretty crude interface so it is clear they have had no interest in offering a free dictation option for some time. They charge too much for a subscription to their professional product (at least for my very limited need for this). But I’m surprised how few apps there are in this category. Several of them are basically a portal to human transcribers somewhere on the other side of the world probably and I would worry about privacy and security in using that, and maybe accuracy as well. Not to mention time delay even if it is only ten or twenty minutes.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:22 PM   #101
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Three of the four apps that were originally flagged as incompatible were updated about the time iOS 11 shipped.

The only holdout for me is ‘Dictation’ (Nuance Communications) voice dictation. I assume they would have the resources to fix it if they really wanted to, but it has not been updated for over 4 years, and it has a pretty crude interface so it is clear they have had no interest in offering a free dictation option for some time. They charge too much for a subscription to their professional product (at least for my very limited need for this). But I’m surprised how few apps there are in this category. Several of them are basically a portal to human transcribers somewhere on the other side of the world probably and I would worry about privacy and security in using that, and maybe accuracy as well. Not to mention time delay even if it is only ten or twenty minutes.
Doesn’t Siri use an offshoot of Nuance technology? I know it did back before Apple bought it anyway...

Last edited by Dylrob; 10-23-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:40 PM   #102
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Doesn’t Siri use an offshoot of Nuance technology? I know it did back before Apple bought it anyway...
Apple does not own Nuance, but has licensed their technology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siri
Old 10-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #103
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Apple does not own Nuance, but has licensed their technology:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siri
I know. I mean they bought Siri.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #104
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
iOS 11.1 is out. Bug fixes and new emoji.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote