Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks for clarifying that. If you were to delete one of the pre-installed apps like iBooks, could you simply reinstall it from the App Store, as you would any other app?
That's the way it works. I just deleted the stocks app from my iPhone (iBooks has way too many books and audiobooks to delete). It disappeared. I then looked it up in the App store and redownloaded it.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That's the way it works. I just deleted the stocks app from my iPhone (iBooks has way too many books and audiobooks to delete). It disappeared. I then looked it up in the App store and redownloaded it.
Thank you. That's very helpful to know .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #18
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
Has anyone tried iBooks in iOS11? Any significant changes, if at all?
Not me, I'm too cautious! I always wait a couple of weeks or more after the actual full release to make sure there are no issues that need to be fixed. Even though they beta test the new iOS for 3 months are more before releasing it, there are still cases where they have had issues. Last year with iOS 10 T-Mobile users had issues the first day or two until Apple and T-Mobile got the issue resolved. You might think beta testing would find the issues, but a few usually manage to stay uncaught until the actual release.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

iOS 11 won't be out of beta until probably the new iPhone release in Sept (I assume Sept, since that's when Apple normally does their iPhone releases).
Old 06-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
iOS 11 won't be out of beta until probably the new iPhone release in Sept (I assume Sept, since that's when Apple normally does their iPhone releases).
Usually they release it with the iPhones are there abouts. I'm not sure the iOS 11 beta has even been made available yet. I thought I heard them say next week, but I could be wrong on that. So we have a long time to wait, unless someone is brave enough to try the beta.
Advert
Old 06-07-2017, 04:45 PM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Usually they release it with the iPhones are there abouts. I'm not sure the iOS 11 beta has even been made available yet. I thought I heard them say next week, but I could be wrong on that. So we have a long time to wait, unless someone is brave enough to try the beta.
The developer's beta has been out since Monday. I guess that since it's not a secret beta, I can say that I have it on an iPad that I use for betas. It's not really fair to make any comments about it since it's going to change quite a bit between now and when it goes live. They always do.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:52 AM   #22
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I wont update to iOS11 on my phone until I have done it on my iPad. I dont want to find that my reading apps dont work. But anyway, the point is moot, today, since I'm not a developer and cant access it in any case.

Lusting after the 10.5" iPad though, its enough of a good thing to make me think I can let my Air2 and 2010 Macbook go, and only use the 10.5". (I have a mac Mini as well, Macbook isnt my only mac)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've still got my 2012 Mac Mini with i5 processor. It came with only 4GB RAM, but that was one of the last models that allowed you to upgrade it yourself, so I put in 16GB RAM. It isn't very fast, but I re-purposed it by installing Boot Camp and creating a dual boot computer with Mac OS X and Windows 10 so I can run a few apps that are only available on Windows. It was my first Mac since the early to mid-1990s when I finally gave up on Apple due to their greatly outdated OS in those days. I'm glad I switched back though.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
This video from 9to5Mac has a pretty good walkthrough of the new features in iOS11.

Quote:
I've still got my 2012 Mac Mini with i5 processor. It came with only 4GB RAM, but that was one of the last models that allowed you to upgrade it yourself, so I put in 16GB RAM. It isn't very fast, but I re-purposed it by installing Boot Camp and creating a dual boot computer with Mac OS X and Windows 10 so I can run a few apps that are only available on Windows.
Install an SSD and it will fly again.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
This video from 9to5Mac has a pretty good walkthrough of the new features in iOS11.

Install an SSD and it will fly again.
I wished I could, but I would probably just solder myself to the board! Old eyes, shaky hands...

ETA: And that would probably not turn me into an android or Cyborg, so fail, fail...

Last edited by jswinden; 06-08-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #26
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 11 supposedly switching from h.264 to HVEC and from JPEG to HEIF

Just read in a very short article that iOS 11 is switching from the h.264 video compression to HEVC (which is h.265) apparently for 4K video purposes, and switching from JPEG to HEIF which takes up half the space of JPEG, so more compressed. This switch is for devices running on an A9 or faster processor. No idea how accurate this info is.

I do like the iPhone 7 photos for when i don't have a good camera along, but I rarely take any that I will want to post process into keepers. So since I rarely take iPhone photos I'm not too concerned about the compression or image quality. I am concerned about conversion though. I'm not familiar with HEVC or HEIF, but I really don't want to have to get a special app or two just to convert these new formats into something I can post on Facebook or send to someone via email.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #27
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
You can change the default format from HEIF to JPG in the settings. And HEVC is so a well established standard already, that you shouldn't be afraid of being able to work with it everywhere in time to come.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
You can change the default format from HEIF to JPG in the settings. And HEVC is so a well established standard already, that you shouldn't be afraid of being able to work with it everywhere in time to come.
I'm glad they are giving us an option on JPEG. I get bit jittery because I went through a period of time with Sony cameras when they used a video format that was a pain to work with on Macs. There are always a lot of apps available for converting formats, but that adds another step to the process.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #29
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
I've still got my 2012 Mac Mini with i5 processor. It came with only 4GB RAM, but that was one of the last models that allowed you to upgrade it yourself, so I put in 16GB RAM. It isn't very fast, but I re-purposed it by installing Boot Camp and creating a dual boot computer with Mac OS X and Windows 10 so I can run a few apps that are only available on Windows. It was my first Mac since the early to mid-1990s when I finally gave up on Apple due to their greatly outdated OS in those days. I'm glad I switched back though.
I have the same Mini, and am glad for it. Like you, I added 16GB. I want to add an SSD which will speed it enormously but thus far ahve not had the courage to do it, its a whole lot more complex than the upgrades I did to my 2010 Macbook. Still, I am not able to afford a whole new machine, and I like the Dell screen I bought to go with it, and it happily runs all my current photography editing apps, so I may plunge in and do the job before much longer.

Like you I abandoned Apple in the mid 90s (I had gone back to my Amiga, and a PC for Uni work), but I came back with the advent of OSX, in 2003 and never regretted doing so. The emac was bulky but it made me happy, computerwise
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

It is too bad that there are no Apple Macs that are constructed like the DIY PCs wherein we could easily modify them or even build our own. I do realize why Apple doesn't allow that. For MS Windows to work it has to take into account every variation and piece of hardware that one might use. IMO that makes for a bloated OS and one that is way more prone to have issues. By Apple following the KISS philosophy they can keep the OS leaner and meaner. But it would still be nice to have the ability to swap out drives and RAM. The soldered RAM is just so Apple can make you pay more for the same computer with more RAM, a lot more, a lot more than the added RAM would cost you on the open market. That is aggravating. When I bought my Mini I got the 4GB model because I knew that for $100 I could buy 16GB of RAM on the internet and easily pop it into the Mini. I wish they still gave us that option. I probably saved $200 that way.

I mostly use my Mini with Windows 10 running on it and with a 27" Dell monitor attached. It is definitely slow compared to my MBP, but fast enough for what I do on it. I too would like to swap out the HDD for a SSD, but my old eyes and arthritic hands would likely fail me in that operation. I would also like to swap out the 256GB SSD in my MBP for a larger one, but I'm even more nervous about attempting that.