Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 12:24 AM   #796
JoeS
Enthusiast
JoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheeseJoeS can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMuffler View Post
So... has the novelty worn off on this device or what? Thread has died and little sub forum activity otherwise.
I know, I was also hoping for a little more activity here. Maybe it all works so well and is so limited that there are not too many complaints, tips, and questions. For me it's been working great, I love this thing. Reading a science book at full size in bright sunshine while wearing sunglasses, awesome!

Don't have answers for your questions though, sorry.
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:56 AM   #797
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
I love it. I do think that the firmware has a bug in the BT driver, as my battery runs down quickly if I turn BT on to transfer a file, even if only for a minute. Otherwise, I love collecting papers and articles on it, writing notes all over them, and having a reference library with me in larger than original size pages.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2017, 07:05 PM   #798
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMuffler View Post
So... has the novelty worn off on this device or what? Thread has died and little sub forum activity otherwise.
Because of the disappointment?
Device not cool because of locked down software?
Crazy prize for device offering so little?

You'd see far more activity if Sony would open it for Android development.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #799
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Support for Bluetooth page turner (i.e. keyboard) will be appreciated.

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:20 PM   #800
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Still waiting for mine, and I won't receive it for at least the next 3 weeks. Sony has set a shipping restriction on the device without notifying their customers, so I have to go through the gray market instead. I gave up hope of getting my hands on a Sony cover though, those won't be available for at least another month.

I really miss the Sony from the 1980's/1990's...

@Fgdas: So that the user experience can become janky and convoluted? So that you can give away all your private data? So that you can install apps that aren't compatible with the device and/or are prone to crash?

No thanks, keep that crap far away from my devices please.

It's too bad further development of the DPT-RP1 software seems to be in limbo, though.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 PM   #801
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
@Fgdas: So that the user experience can become janky and convoluted? So that you can give away all your private data? So that you can install apps that aren't compatible with the device and/or are prone to crash?

https://mobileread.cdn.speedyrails.n...1/thumbsup.gif

Quote:
It's too bad further development of the DPT-RP1 software seems to be in limbo, though.
It's too bad Sony has not made a DPT-S2 with the SD card slot of the S1 and the improved resolution and speed of the RP1 and added scp for file transfer.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #802
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
originally, the DPT-S1 was open to purchase only for people in the medical/educational/law fields. eventually, they opened it up to all (but that's not the point). now with the DPT-RP1, they made getting documents into/out of the device more difficult than just drag/drop when drag/drop is nearly universal.

i have no idea what the motivation is behind these bizarre restrictions.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:22 AM   #803
YasBean
Enthusiast
YasBean doesn't litterYasBean doesn't litter

Device: Sony RP1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
originally, the DPT-S1 was open to purchase only for people in the medical/educational/law fields. eventually, they opened it up to all (but that's not the point). now with the DPT-RP1, they made getting documents into/out of the device more difficult than just drag/drop when drag/drop is nearly universal.

i have no idea what the motivation is behind these bizarre restrictions.
I drag-now-drop documents onto my RP1. It just has to be dropped onto the Digital Paper App. No big deal.
YasBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #804
kcroker
kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.kcroker got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony Digital Paper System
Oh stop shilling

Stop shilling, @Dutchbook. You are completely at liberty to wear your SONY shackles. Opening the platform does not force you or anyone, in any way, to install anything on the device. All it does is allow others who do have other various needs to fit the device to their workflows, as they see fit and on their terms.

I agree with @Fgdas completely. The v2 device is such a monumental disappointment, its frankly an insult. I'm dead in the water with my Linux distribution. There have been so many hostile changes to the device. There is ZERO way to get data onto or off of the device, without SONY gatekeeping you. What happens when the device crashes? No SD card! Have fun with 2 weeks downtime and paying SONY some ripoff fee to have them salvage your data. The grossest insult is the Bluetooth. Say I'm away from an internet connection and a computer, you know, in the field doing research. I'd like to share something with my colleague. Oh well, Bluetooth does not support an "airdrop" feature ... like every other damn device does. Its only there to give you a wireless sync to SONY's gatekeeper. Screensharing also worked flawlessly in S1 on Linux, since it was a Java application that would run anywhere. Now, useless. And then there are the subtle things. Consider the mandatory friction screen. I liked the fluid screen of the S1. Notice how fast your $10.00/pop nibs wear down on that friction cover? Better buy a new pack, buddy.

Or consider selecting and pasting text. This was a great workaround introduced to the v1.5 firmware in the S1. I do long hand calculations, and I need to see what was on the previous page. Flipping pages leads to errors on standard paper. For some idiotic reason, they would not implement a continuous scroll on the DPS. Okay, I can rapidly select the text and paste it to the bottom of the previous page. But now? v2 has a circled select: that's 2*pi*r vs 2\sqrt{2}r now when I select something, e.g. 2x longer. How do I get to the area select? 2 screen presses! (vs 1 in the S1.) It should be 0 because I should be able to assign that operation to the second button on the stylus, because I never use the highlighter. Now, to paste? I have to click paste, then again at some region on the screen? It doesn't register this second click well because the active pen likes to sleep when its more than 2cm from the screen! And then once its there, I have to drag and then cement it! 3x more presses! Misplace your text? Oh well, Undo was removed. Tough luck buddy, Mother SONY knows best!

This is just the tip of the iceberg with this device. All the opportunity and innovation has been squandered. I had my friend in Taiwan call the OEM for the screens years ago. The pricepoint for just the hardware screen is around $650. Selling these things at $750/pop, SONY is barely making a profit, and maybe even taking a loss. The only thing I can think of for their downright hostile behaviour to their users is that they hope to leverage access to the platform to 3rd parties for $$$. Yes, you will be whored out, just wait for it.

@Fgdas, how's this for some activity on this board?

Quote:
Still waiting for mine, and I won't receive it for at least the next 3 weeks. Sony has set a shipping restriction on the device without notifying their customers, so I have to go through the gray market instead. I gave up hope of getting my hands on a Sony cover though, those won't be available for at least another month.

kcroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #805
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by YasBean View Post
I drag-now-drop documents onto my RP1. It just has to be dropped onto the Digital Paper App. No big deal.
sorry, i meant that sony made it more complicated by imposing the requirement that an app is needed to make transfers. why not configure it as a usb drive when you plug it in? it surely would have been easier to program since they've done it on every one of their discontinued devices up to and including the DPT-S1.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #806
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
That is just the way most Japanese companies work these days. Management is becoming increasingly parochial.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #807
andy79
andy79 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPTRP1, Kobo H2O, KindleDX
Smile

All complaints about compatibility and accessibility are founded. It would have been much easier to have them as usb.
But all this is forgotten when you can use it instead of A4 doc prints, journals magazines. It's an invaluable tool.
Extremely light, comfortable and very good pdf processing and annotations.
Someone above mentioned Sony buys the eink screen for 650$.... if that's true, I almost pitty Sony as much as my own account .
andy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #808
digiflash
Connoisseur
digiflash began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-RP1, DPT-S1, Pocketbook 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroker View Post
This is just the tip of the iceberg with this device. All the opportunity and innovation has been squandered. I had my friend in Taiwan call the OEM for the screens years ago. The pricepoint for just the hardware screen is around $650. Selling these things at $750/pop, SONY is barely making a profit, and maybe even taking a loss. The only thing I can think of for their downright hostile behaviour to their users is that they hope to leverage access to the platform to 3rd parties for $$$. Yes, you will be whored out, just wait for it.
Don't get me wrong, but "a friend" won't get the same price as Sony would get.
I think it is just a simple miscalculation.
digiflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #809
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Kcroker, how much slower is the Android device in the following videos, compared to the Sony OS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_EpvhQppfk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu03JY7PXMo

How many times did they need to press a button for the device to acknowledge?

Did you notice the larger input lag of the writing?

Did you saw the larger lag when going to another page?

I want to use the DPT-RP1 to annotate Powerpoint hand-outs in real-time during auditorium speeches. That won't work with an Android device, plain and simple.

Secondly, how long will it take for someone to install something on the RP-1, for which the RP-1 was never designed to do, and blame Sony?

And, how will they make the device 100% secure for legal/medical/government work, if they don't know what is inside the OS and/or have no control over it?

It seems like you wanted the features of the Onyx Max Carta on the RP-1, but why not buy the Onyx instead?

@Kumabjorn: Why do Japanese companies never outsource their software development to the West? I've yet to find a modern Japanese consumer product whose UI is as good as western products.

Last edited by Dutchbook; 09-16-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #810
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
- Keep dreaming your data is private
- Nobody is interested in your p0rn anyway
- I truly believe people have brains to decide and they do not to be told what they should do by Sony or Apple (and pay absurd money for that).
- Have a look at "janky" RP1 Sony's Digital Paper with Android:

fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote